The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 minutes ago, pH said:

How are you with Kamloops, Kashechewan and Tuktoyaktuk?

I kept getting the emphasis wrong on Okanagan.

Ogopogo is easier to say.

In a similar vein, Spokane tricks up the uninformed. As a youngster in the land of Oz, I had no idea how to pronounce Seattle. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In a similar vein, Spokane tricks up the uninformed.

You'd think they could adjust the spelling to reflect the pronunciation. Or was it once pronounced differently?

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember what my grade 8 teacher did to Craigellachie and Edinburgh. (Studying the CPR).

One of my railways is the Esquesing and Chinguacousy Radial Railway.

• Like 9
  • Funny 4

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As is evident in your photographs. I have never had the pleasure of visiting Scotland, but I was given to believe the lower atmosphere there inevitably comprised significantly higher densities of water vapour than is evident in your photographs.

The weather in Scotland is often very good from the middle of May through June. July and August tend to be warmer but wetter. September can be very nice although it can be a bit cooler.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Morning All,

It is a rather damp morning today.  We have had rain overnight, and it is still raining on and off.  The forecast suggests that it will brighten up later - which I hope is the case because I need to cut our garden hedge.

11 minutes ago, AndyID said:

July and August tend to be warmer but wetter.

Beware the midges!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 12
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all!

A drop (or several)of rain has fallen overnight here. Scheduled to rain tomorrow morning when I am supposed to be umpiring. Pah!

Rick I have tried all roads up to shake off my lurgi. Still coughing..a bit like the lurgi Chris had.

Place names... how do you pronounce Tantobie? Or Louth? The best one I heard came from an American visitor...Loogerberoogar.

Enjoy whatever you do today and hope all who ail show improvement in their health.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Today’s jaunt takes me down the Esk Valley line from Middlesbrough to Whitby with a stop off at Grosmont for the North York Moors Railway.

The Esk Valley line is another lovely scenic run but not as well known as some others.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Fangmeister seems to think that the tooth can be repaired (again) but this will be the last time. and after that it is either a quite expensive crown or a much less expensive extraction - I've already decided on which it will be.

as I can't reach the upper parts any more, and I don't feel confident on a ladder. 

Weighing up the options of crowns v investment in our hobby, I'd go with the latter Stewart. You can always liquidise food :mocking_mini:
I have never been that comfortable working off ladders so I bought a lightweight zip-up style aluminium tower a few years back to aid the hedge trimming in our last place. When moving, NO leylandii was part of the search criteria and SiL has the tower now for his (much larger) hedge and between us we can do his in a weekend (although various old joints and muscles are known to complain loudly after that weekend).

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Weighing up the options of crowns v investment in our hobby, I'd go with the latter Stewart. You can always liquidise food :mocking_mini:
I have never been that comfortable working off ladders so I bought a lightweight zip-up style aluminium tower a few years back to aid the hedge trimming in our last place.

Couldn't agree more - the crown that was being discussed was a private job as NHS nowadays only gives quite limited options with regard to the more complex dental treatments, and would cost me around £750 - £1000 - not worth it as I have all my upper teeth apart from one, so I can afford to lose this one if it can't be saved, and the cost is around £60 on NHS to have it removed - makes more financial sense.

As to the ladder issue, I too have problems with high(ish) hedges and trees, and I plan to get one of these - my friend in Herefordshire has one, and I climbed it and felt totally secure at a height of about 8 feet - it will be £350 well spent, and I can, of course, fund that from the "saving" in hot having the errant tooth crowned.

https://www.henchman.co.uk/products/platform-tripod-ladders.html

Now then, a couple of things that I meant to mention as part of my excuse for not visting include

Having my tooth looked at after a session at LASAR doing whatever.

Getting the car MOT and service - amazing value from my garage - not a main dealer, and a minor service and MOT only costs £74.99 - in this day and age that is incredible when a main dealer is charging  over £200 for the same.

A meeting with my Building Society  about my mortgage, and the best long term options.

A meeting at the bank to discuss life insurance, related to the above.

And now I've heard from my builder that he's not going to arrive until about 10.30.  He's always been a bit hit and miss on his timings .  He works for English Heritage in London and Sussex, and I hope that he is not so lax in his timings with them - I suspect not, but when he's back up North, he does have a lot of work to arrange, and of course, not every job works out quite as expected. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday Rick (yet again, GDB was misleading me). Slightly delayed this morning as the internet went AWOL for about ten minutes just after nine. Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

Happy birthday, Rick.

Todays gardening has been delayed by rain.  It will hopefully clear later to allow more planting of seeds.  The rain is most welcome for all the seeds that I planted yesterday, so I am not complaining!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is overcast and cooler here. 

It would seem that Benfleet is cut off from the rest of Essex this morning. A collision between a motor cycle and van at the Sadlers Farm roundabout is still causing congestion for miles around. Aditi is supposed to be going to Brentwood but may have to cancel her hairdressing appointment. 

I can’t think of too many places locally that are pronounced very differently to their spelling. Nearer London I suppose Feydun Boys is though. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony_S
Repetition
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1