The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Loads of computer problems Apple say replace since no longer support; MS say get latest software - but latest update is what initiated the problem or acerbated it ... probably only intermittent  RM for a while.  Single email of couple of lines takes 20 minutes to sort.  AV etc detects no problems.  Will return to 'normal', whatever that is, when able.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

In Elko at the moment.  It's like the hare and the tortoise. An autorack train woke us up at 7.15. We've passed it twice and I've just seen it pull into town through the restaurant window.

Jamie

• Like 19

27 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Number 11, that’s what.

Number 11 is described as:

Diesel engine #11 was built by U.S. Steel with General Electric parts. It was acquired in March 2006 and is a 98-ton center cab diesel. Currently in service.

Somehow I didn't think that's what Andy was asking us (rhetorically).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

No finger nails...but Ha'way the Lads! Wembley here we come!

That awl looks very, very sharp. Talking of which I hope her Debship is doing ok.

After a busy day all I can add is

Goodnight all!

Baz

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Thats the corrugated sheeting that I am considering using on my shed roof.

Despite the windy weather, I managed to get the vapour barrier / felt onto the roof by 9pm tonight, then the french doors were fitted but still need ot adjust the frame so the doors line up. The rush is so that the shed is weatherproof for the forecast rain this weekend. Thats it till next week as tomorrow we are off to Devon for the Freemo meet. I need a rest after the last few days but it has been great  fun building it.

20190516_212207.jpg

20190516_212316.jpg

Travis Perkins have this roofing on offer just now 13 quid a sheet instead of 30, worth a look

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tigerburnie said:

Travis Perkins have this roofing on offer just now 13 quid a sheet instead of 30, worth a look

Thats where I will be ordering it from as long as its still at that price next week.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Thats where I will be ordering it from as long as its still at that price next week.

It's nice and light to handle and quite robust, the supplied nails they provide are ok for single thickness sheets, but on the overlaps you might want to use longer nails or screws.

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, AndyID said:

What's this then?

DSCN4423.JPG.0f39da50b1819341f4e4048166c896cb.JPG

According to the van in the background it's on the Great Western; one of the Welsh mountain lines maybe?

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

What's this then?

Looks like a photograph to me.

Somewhere on the D&SNG.

Wherever that is.

It’s amazing what google can do.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 15

22 minutes ago, BoD said:

Looks like a photograph to me.

Somewhere on the D&SNG.

I suspect Andy is there today or very recently. I'm hoping he saw something in steam.

Yes, it's amazing what Google can do.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

In commemoration of this evening's milestone* "I informed you thusly."

Today's wordpress advertising was to elect someone to a local school board - no doubt cluing from the location of my IP address at work.

* The final episode of The Big Bang Theory.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

I’ve finally managed to get the past few bits of distemper of the walls, it took a bit of elbow grease to achieve it, but it’s done. Next week I’ll go and get the waterproofing solution and make a start applying it when I get back. I’ve also removed the doorframe that gives me access to the area under the hall, as I intended to widen it a little to make it easier to get in and out of. So I now have a couple of bags of rubble to get rid of too, these will be disposed of when I do another tip run next week.

I did plan on going swimming at Salford Quays again tonight, but by the time we’d finished tea, it was a bit too late, so I poured myself a Doombar instead.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, BoD said:

Morning all.

Once ablutions have been abluted, I am off to Carlisle for a run over one of my favourite lines the Settle and Carlisle.

Unfortunately the changes in the services in this years timetable makes a stopover in Settle impractical. 

I would have waved from the platforms at Settle if I had known earlier.

And if I was in work........................

Golf went well.

A 6&5 victory for our pair - but then again, not too difficult as we were playing against one, instead of the planned two players.

(Minor communication cockup by the opposing team meant that they only had 11 instead of the requisite 12)

I could say that my playing partner and I felt sorry for him - we did, but it was just a little bit. But that is the nature of competition. It may seem harsh, but  would a football team be too worried if their opponents turned up without a full squad?

Overall, a team win 8-5 and the next match is away at Turton GC, overlooking the greater Manchester area.

This will be their last year in this league as they claim to have too many other league commitments to fulfil.

This will be my third time playing there and hopefully, can finally get to grips with a tricky  - in places - course.

Friday beckons, with a fun golf event in the evening.

POETS if you can - I hope mine will be a POOT (on time)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

29 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

As the weather was good - not just ok but stunningly good ...

As is evident in your photographs. I have never had the pleasure of visiting Scotland, but I was given to believe the lower atmosphere there inevitably comprised significantly higher densities of water vapour than is evident in your photographs.

29 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

a dozen Canadians trying to pronounce Duirinish and Achnashellach

And Canadians would have a better shot at it than any of the other colonials - though those don't look as hard as Welsh to my eyes. Having said that, the pronunciations of many (most?) British locations often seem to have little in common with their spellings.

This was exported to the colonies as well. Non-New Englanders cannot pronounce place names in the Boston area and Americans cannot pronounce most Australian place names - like Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne and Canberra, which all get routinely butchered. When it comes to Anglicized Aboriginal names furgetaboutit (as they say in NY, NY). Of course one wonders what native Australians would make of the 'strine versions of their words.

Recent tragic news included reports of Christchurch, New Zealand. Even though the components were pronounced correctly, when connected, even highly regarded newscasters could not run the two words together and inserted a subtle pause which came out sounding wrong.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 18

40 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The rest of the trip was much more sedate with nothing more than a dozen Canadians trying to pronounce Duirinish and Achnashellach. 

I'm Canadian and I know how they're pronounced. :D

How are you with Kamloops, Kashechewan and Tuktoyaktuk?

Nice pictures. Hope you get rid of the McLurgy quickly.

• Like 9
  • Funny 9