The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another lie-in this morning, so a late breakfast. Currently in the sunshine with the workshop door open and listening to a mix of music. Just about to re-attach the valve gear to the L class and hopefully it will work. But just in case I ordered a new set from Langley lady night. 

Back later. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

("Just in case you push the wrong button.") 

I guess in this case, there's very little chance of blood being spilled if things go wrong...………...

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

An excellent contribution lightengine, it will keep me smiling most of the day. As the sun is shining, I was "invited" to tend the garden - I got a pass, not a distinction. Chauffeuring duties now beckon, keep up the good work all!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I'm knackered again,  

08:30 to trailer,  paint outside,  ( Buckingham  green) 

10:00 start building ramp while SWMBO starts painting the inside ( white emulsion) 

11:00 ramp completed, start on door,  SWMBO gives up painting, her  arms aren't up to it. 

12:30 most of door built, run out of screws. Need hinges,  I start painting inside. Swmbo takes Ben the border collie for his long walk

14:00 inside painted. 

To be done next week

Paint ramp, find some way of mounting it on front of trailer. 

Finish, fit and paint door. 

Make support for back of trailer.. 

Excuse me while I wander off and order screws and hinges.. 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Good  oh, the quote box problem has resolved itself. 

Been rather lazy today. I did go the shed with the intention of cutting up some ply but was still feeling rather frail after last night's bash so opted to watch the recorded rugby instead and glad I did. A great game and I enjoyed every minute of it. 

The Boss has got a lamb hotpot on the go so looking forward to that along with a glass or two of Shiraz. As I seem to be fully recovered it could be beer o'clock first though.

Herself has just spotted that the F 1 highlights are on at 7.00pm. Apparently it's not fair! It is fair however that certain stupid soaps are on nearly every flippin' night.  :banghead:     

Still, it won't matter to me now I've got somewhere to go and lose myself. :whistle: :yes:

:drinks:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Two days running - wonders will never cease.

I will need to visit the fangmeister tomorrow, as the tooth which has been giving trouble, and has been mended several times, is playing up again, and I fear that is now beyond repair.  Oddly, I have all my top ones, except one which was so far out of position that it was extracted and had no impact at all on my bite or ability to chew. 

Other than that, went to the A6 car boot, and then went to admire the bluebells at Gresgarth Hall Gardens - only to find that this year, many of them are blind - and there were only about half as many as last year - still it is a beautiful garden nonetheless, and we had a cuppa and a slice of cake each while there.  Then home and the G word was mentioned, so after a session of pulling weeds from between the flagstones, then a bath, I am only now getting onto RMWeb, and posting here.

Hopefully back tomorow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Again today's expedition barely dented the pile of modelling tokens, just a few bits for the young mans layout. Natalie, I hope that things get better for you, I cant add anything to Stewart's and John's excellent advice.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Natalie said:

Hi

Im really unsure about whether to post this or not as there are people far worse off and all I am doing is just being a miserable whining cow. But I am really at the end of my tether now and doing my damdest not to od or self harm again.

I live at my 71 year old mum's as I lost my house and belongings 6  years ago. Without her I would already be dead.

She is awaiting 2x TKR and  2 x THR for at least before Christmas.  Her mobility was usually excellent and unaided but deteriorated literally over night to using 2 elbow crutches which are effective but obviously slow. The main issue is that she just will not accept that she needs help with things like carrying hot drinks and food around.  Daily since Christmas at least I have said multiple times to her to not carry things when on crutches as they will destabilise you and increase the risk of falling. I have tried to explain that the last thing you want is a #NOF as the mortality rates are exceptionally high for the first year. But she refuses to listen. She always knows best. Apparently I am the one that is causing the problems and trying to stop her doing anything.  I say on a twice daily basis that you cannot carry a glass bowl of hot porridge from the kitchen over an unsecured mat, up a 6" step whilst using both crutches but it is in one ear and out the next. Seemingly i dont know what i am talking about. Apparently she can't keep getting me to carry things despite me constantly saying that  is exactly what I want you to do. I would understand if I didn't do anything and refuse to help but this is not the case. I get rhat it is frustrating but it seems as though my concerns and feelings are of no relevance or importance. 

What is happening is that our relationship is plunging as is my mental health as I simply can't cope with this anymore. I don't like feeling like this or causing  it am scared as well that our relationship which has always been fairly good will breakdown permanently and irretrievably.  I didn't have ready access to my blade or bits of glass then I would have used them but that would have something else to be slagged off for. I would dearly love to be able to swallow all my meds  and be out of it all but feel guilty about that. I could get a carer I spose but can't afford it, it is my role to do the caring as I am here. There is no way she would tolerate a caret going in at set times and saying what needs to be done. I have no problem with being the carer. I just can't take the constant ignoring of my advice. 

I have said that it will be catastrophic if you fall and die early and rhe last thing that I want but that seemingly makes no difference. 

Why is it that I feel that I am being a complete for feeling this way and that maybe I dont know anything after all.

Im sorry to go on like this especially when there are people with real actual problems (like Rick or John Coombe Barton and Sandy) or without a previous introduction but I do read ER every day. How do you cope or manage when making that transition from offspring to carer- even if likely to be a temporary thing? I just feel like I am getting all the frustration and anger from mother over the loss of her mobility but it is not my fault.

I feel a bit better and shall return somewhat ironically to my actual real black dog (a black Patterdale terrier) Minnie the Mop who always makes things feel better

Best wishes

Natalie

I have absolutely no idea what TKR, THR or #NOF are but you need to contact your local OT and explain to them the position and ask them to visit whilst you are there.  Other than that is there a charity in your area that could help? Maybe Age Concern/ Age UK could suggest a way forward.  Speaking to her gp about such dangers as carrying hot food & drinks whilst using 2 crutches may help.  Do you need to consider mental capacity for your Mum?

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, lightengine said:

I have absolutely no idea what TKR, THR or #NOF are but you need to contact your local OT and explain to them the position and ask them to visit whilst you are there.  Other than that is there a charity in your area that could help? Maybe Age Concern could suggest a way forward.  Speaking to her gp about such dangers as carrying hot food & drinks whilst using 2 crutches may help.  Do you need to consider mental capacity for your Mum?

I think TKR is a total knee replacement (not a good job I understand) and a THR is a total hip replacement (far more routine these days). In all cases, there will need to be a decent recovery period during which both Natalie and her mum will need plenty of support (no pun intended in this case). Her GP should be able to escalate her case, particularly as there is now no way her mum could cope on her own and the NHS and Social Services don't need Natalie to collapse now and put more strain on them.

Please feel free to drop in on ERs and offload as necessary Natalie, you have my (and I'm sure others') sympathy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

35 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Natalie

The hot drinks - could I suggest that you get an insulated mug with lid and handle, not to drink from but as a teapot. Make the drink in the mug, have an empty cup at the drinking point and carry the hot in the mug then pour.

That way mum would retain her independence but give you less stress. Hot liquid is more dangerous that hot food (exception is soup) of spilled in flesh as the liquid will soak and spread, lumps of food don't.

The trouble Natalie has ( like I am experiencing with my Mother) is making her Mum understand that at times like the present she needs to accept that she needs help. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1