The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have followed AndrewC’s progress today on another social media platform. However I notice he avoided being photographed!

I spent the first fifty or so years of my life trying, mostly successfully, to avoid being photographed and then some smart arras decided it would be a good idea to build a camera into their phone..

• Like 8
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, pH said:

Did you do that in one go? :mellow:

Our neighbours here have visitors from Germany. They set off last weekend for a road trip in the US, and were going to make Sacramento in a day. I thought that was pretty heroic.

I try not to do daft things like that now. Now I can just about manage 700 miles a day in light traffic. Stopped with friends near Nampa first night then Carson City second night. The snow line was not far above me at Mammoth.

• Like 17

Evening awl,

Our initial briefing was held in the Long Room.  Not my first time, but previous times I've had a patient to treat.

The Albert Hall was productive - everything I wanted bar Haitink conducting Bruckner 7.

Bill

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

match umpired this morning/early afternoon as we had a rain break...Should have been over quicker as the team batting second (chasing 133) were 4 runs for 5 wickets...after another 17 overs they staggered up to 55 for 5..

Not coughing and barking as much but still not feeling even 70%

More cricket tomorrow...just hope it stays dry!

especial thoughts to all who ail or are missing.

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have followed AndrewC’s progress today on another social media platform. However I notice he avoided being photographed!

Its quite handy when you are the one taking the photos - I noticed that he managed to only get his other half and friends  / relatives in the photos plus plenty of :drink_mini:

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I visited my friends shed this afternoon, and its enormous 24' X 12'. He is currently waiting for the electric cable to be laid then he can commence the wiring and lining out. Now time for bed, goodnight all. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

I try not to do daft things like that now. Now I can just about manage 700 miles a day in light traffic. 

I've only managed 700 miles in a day once (Edmonton-Port Moody). I had "the numb bum" for three days afterwards. Any time I did that drive again, I split it over two days. We regularly do a 400 mile trip these days (Port Moody-Nelson). I'll do that in one day in the summer, when it's light all the way, but we split it in two (eastbound at least) at other times of the year.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A wasted day. I went down with something this morning - dizziness, fatigue, mildly upset stomach and stomach pains. Nothing compared with what some people on here have to deal with - basically annoying and nothing worse. However, I slept for four and a half hours - I never sleep during the day. And despite all that I am - to use a good Scots word from my childhood - wabbit!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The Jack Russell has appeared tonight! Dogs Trust Advert. 

I get quite different advertising on wordpress and have never seen a Jack Russell on John's blog. 

Some of the advertising that I see is connected to cookies on my machine (from sites I have visited) and some of it is the same/similar as what I see on other sites that use an outfit called "AdChoices". For some reason they think that I need the latest thing in shower caps - costing $43 no less! The heuristics used by "AdChoices" is worthless. In general, I find "Ads by Google" to be a little more on point but many of them appear quite random.

I have been happily closing the "Ads By Google" appearing on RMWeb to say that I no longer wish to see this ad.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

We went to the cinema to see the opera today -- Dialogues of the Carmelites.  I don't think we'll see it again; too emotional. The performance started at noon and finished abour 3:15 -- they had to set up for Gotterdammerung tonight.

We once did the return from Florida to the Toronto area in 2 days. Never again.

The last marathon we had was south Kentucky to Toronto in one day. When we got to Detroit area SWMBO decided to keep going. When we were on the 401 the road was snowy enough that she wouldn't pull off even to change drivers and she did the 400 kms in one push. Arrival about 10:00 pm.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Very sunny mooring Awl, 

Inner Temple Hare, 

7.5hours solid sleep I needed that. 

I think I've mentioned this before longest trip without flying,  742 miles, though after the first half hour a 6hour ferry trip of 80 miles. This was after a 12hour night shift.  Today the longest is the 400 Mile trip to my parents with an increasing number of stops each time. 

Today,  planed work, 

Top coat on outside of trailer hard top, 

The Trailer has a long ramp,  but it doesn't reach the top of the hard top,  so an upper door is required. 

I also need a ramp extension, as it's still steep for the layout trolleys. 

And as I discovered yesterday a prop for the back of the trailer as it tips up when not connected to a tow bar.. (with me at the back) 

The inside needs a coat of paint cheap(er) white will be plastered on.

I'm getting the stare. Ben the Border Collie  wants out.. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky and sunshine here and a fine and dry day is forecast.

Yesterday's 21st BBQ and party was excellent. You could say that I may have over indulged a little bit. You would be right. My head is agreeing with you as I type.

Today a parcel should be arriving containing my new laptop (which is considerably faster and more up to date than this one) so I should have some fun with that later. Before that I have a recorded rugby match to watch. Luckily nobody mentioned the score last night.

First things first though and tea needs to be taken up  to The Boss.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Before that I have a recorded rugby match to watch. Luckily nobody mentioned the score last night.

Due to travel arrangements, I missed the first half but saw the second. It was, as expected, an excellent advert for the game and well officiated too IMHO.

There is something happening near Barcelona but I may find other things to do, particularly as SWMBO’s sister and a friend will be arriving at some stage, therefore a prior visit to John Lewis’s food arm will be required. Elder granddaughter starts her SATs tomorrow and will need a little sympathy and moral boosting as she is easily stressed, much like her mother, grandmother and great aunt.

As for long distance road trips, the only one I have done that is anything like some of those mentioned was to drive from Plymouth to Glasgow in one day about 50 years ago before the M5 linked to the M6. I was driving a MK1 Ford Cortina with seating that probably was worse than the Class 700 experience of Wednesday. Although I weighed a good bit less then, I had significantly less internal seat padding.

I have rebuilt a 750Kg unbraked trailer a while back and know how much work is needed. Thankfully, the KZwaggon is not fitted with a tow bar and the trailer is with daughter and SiL if ever needed. They have a bar on their tractor.

Good wishes and speedy recovery to all through whatever trials and tribulations afflict. I’ll cough and splutter but have few troubles in comparison.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Targeted ads, they've got nothing on flea-bay. A few weeks ago I happened to look up Budgie toys die casts, since then I have been offered budgerigar cages a few times.<_< The longest journey I have driven in one day was from Ostend to Manneheim, this was back in 1974, I wouldn't want to do it now despite the route being made shorter. Much of the route back then followed the Rhine rather a long way round. Tea to be drunk then off to dispose of some more modelling tokens.

• Like 14
  • Funny 1