The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Raining steadily here with more to come along with sunny spells (possibly) and even the chance of thunderstorms.

E-Day plus 1 and all the outside work is done which is good considering the weather. Some work in the shed still to be finished then Rick can connect the armoured cable inside the house, fit the new consumer unit along with a couple of other bits and Bob's your uncle. (or not as the case may be). Weird thing is I came down this morning, switched on a light and the bulb blew and fused the downstairs lights. First time I've had to rewire a fuse in nearly 30 years. Did seem a bit pointless as the fuse box is being ripped out later but I needed the lights on.

Time to take some tea up to Her Bossness,

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Monring from a wet Surrey. Hoping it will pass through by the time shed construction recommences today.

Until my helper arrives mid morning I have plenty of modelling to do.

I also still have to book a few hotels for the second part of our USA trip. Portland OR is booked but the hotels whilst having the car in Oregon still require finalising. Might even use the lodge by the river and tracks plus Walking Man brewery at Stevenson WA  and then off to Pacific City to naother favourite spot.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Raining steadily here with more to come along with sunny spells (possibly) and even the chance of thunderstorms.

E-Day plus 1 and all the outside work is done which is good considering the weather. Some work in the shed still to be finished then Rick can connect the armoured cable inside the house, fit the new consumer unit along with a couple of other bits and Bob's your uncle. (or not as the case may be). Weird thing is I came down this morning, switched on a light and the bulb blew and fused the downstairs lights. First time I've had to rewire a fuse in nearly 30 years. Did seem a bit pointless as the fuse box is being ripped out later but I needed the lights on.

Time to take some tea up to Her Bossness,

Have a good one,

Bob.

I was up early hours this morning so started looking at wiring options to the shed.  Looking at trunking at waist level around three sides so I can insert as many electrical outlets as I like. Still unsure as to whether I can bury the amroured cobel or just do the easier route of fixing to the fencing. The biggest headache is getting the cable inside the house.

However 50m of cat 5E outdoor use cable should be delivered today as I found it at a good price. Our wifi signal does just reach the shed but is so weak that it wount be much use.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple hare,

This is the second time I've typed this, I had to wander off for a couple of minutes and when I came back Edge had reset itself. Unusually for this new rmweb format it had cleared the editor so I wandered down to the lab where I found the equipment had advanced beyond where I left it, The boss must have pushed it on to the next automatic section.

Now sitting on the other computer at the lab, first resistor measurement taken, the next is settling.

3.75 hours sleep last night followed by 3 hours of intermittent dozing..not good..

I went via the Big Orange shed last night to collect the ply for the trailer hard top, it looking like a better day than Thursday due to the forecast.. So the heavens opened on the way back and the sheet of ply is now sitting inside the tin shed on  it's edge hopefully drying out by Saturday.

The lab is very much more pleasant than yesterday, all that brazing made the air in the outer lab foul, and it was begining to leak into my lab, even though I have a totally separate AC system.

Second reading taken..

I think I've mentioned I'd like to run cat 5 down to the Railway Shed, however it's 150 yards, I don't fancy digging that far, and I may hit problems with it being a different phase of mains electricity and a different earth, so some sort of Isolation may be needed.

I am wondering if I could feed the cat 5 to the garage alongside the mains in it's steel pipe, that may give me line of sight to allow airbourne transmission to the house of parallel bits of metal and bypass digging through a concrete path.

Third reading taken... I don''t like the result.

Time to redo the second reading... I can already see it's looking better..

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

. Still unsure as to whether I can bury the amroured cobel or just do the easier route of fixing to the fencing. The biggest headache is getting the cable inside the house.

Rick had a bit of fun getting the cable through the wall. Our old house has 9" solid walls and they are built with some sort of engineering bricks that are extremely hard.

The cable is underground where it crosses the garden gate then clipped to the fencing until near the shed and is then underground again for a few feet.

The Boss has just gone for a walk in the pouring rain to get some milk despite me offering to drive there. Bonkers!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Evening all, quiet sort of prepping for other things on another day sort of days, not wasted, but little tangible evidence of much happening. Our bin men's dispute is over, so the council tip should be clear for a run with rubbish from TOSH, need to get a wriggle on now the roofing has been ordered. I've got a roof of a bloody awkward size, so had to buy more of everything than I would have liked, I'm using corrugated manmade sheets with ridge pieces on top, unfortunately I will have to cut 5 of the sheets in half, I bet that will be an awkward job with a tenon saw, don't fancy trying the circular saw or the jig saw on what is giant crinkle cut chips.

Take care, g'night all.

Perhaps you might consider one of these:

https://www.zside.co.uk/products/domom-double-head-metal-cutter?variant=16883859062855

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Very damp here this morning and with the dampness Arthur Itis is having a field day but he better beware paracetamol is on its way. Not much else to report, muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, very soggy here.

I used armoured cable for my cable run to The Old Summer House.

Richard the roofing sheets aren't metal, this stuff.  Ariel-Coroline-Corrugated-Roofing-Sheet-Black-2m-x-950mm

Thats the make that I am considering as its quieter in the rain, lighter and easier to fix. How long has it been in place? says 15 years gaurantee so in theory will last a while longer than that.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

got to school in time to be told it was too wet to play today..well I would never have believed it!

Back home finished some gloss painting then ...some muddling awaits...and yes it is still chuckinitdarn

mugadecaff required..

baz

• Like 17

1 minute ago, roundhouse said:

Thats the make that I am considering as its quieter in the rain, lighter and easier to fix. How long has it been in place? says 15 years gaurantee so in theory will last a while longer than that.

Only ordered it yesterday, due for delivery next week(out of stock at local yard), just seemed a bargain at this discount price.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Just remembered, I mentioned the Cherry Orchard brickworks and its NG railway. I did look it up on Google Earth to find that the site is now obliterated by a housing development.

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just remembered, I mentioned the Cherry Orchard brickworks and its NG railway. I did look it up on Google Earth to find that the site is now obliterated by a housing development.

There's a few photos online Phil:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/5392897412

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB733GB738&biw=1455&bih=688&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ZZzSXLijC6aN1fAPuuWpmAs&q=cherry+orchards+brickworks+southend&oq=cherry+orchards+brickworks+southend&gs_l=img.12...14272.16560..18378...0.0..0.117.553.8j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.k6pzA6LJhrs#imgrc=_i2zvZ7jhyFVUM:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up! Chuckinitdarn!

Cough no better but off to watch the rain fall at a cricket match.

Baz

Ey up thar sen, chunkinitdarn here as well. Sill it slakes the dust and washes the horse muck out of the tram lines!

John.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

23 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Well done Mrs Lurker, I love my food too much. Have a look at Silverstone at the end of July, three days of classics from various eras, lots of noise, smells, sliding, squealing and hopefully no total wrecks. Featuring this year 50 years of the Ford Capri, 60 years of the Mini and 100 years of Bentley. Who knows, you may even persuade Mrs Lurker to wear a minI!

Actually we will be away then - but we are going back to Brands Hatch at the end of May, with the brother-and sister-in-law, and family, and dragging Elder Lurker, for something similar - the Masters Historic Festival, featuring Historic F1 cars, historic sports cars, pre 66 Touring cars and Gentlemen Drivers. The last makes me think of Leslie Phillips for some reason. B-i-L is heavily into his cars, so weather permitting a good should be had by all

• Like 16

Early risers - I rose early, bought 4x Swiss Saver Day Passes for CHF 39 each, went and had my breakfast, and when I came back to the computer at 8.30, they'd already sold out at that price, and were now CHF 49 each. Result. [smiley face looking smug]

That should pay for a couple of teas while we're there. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, very soggy here.

I used armoured cable for my cable run to The Old Summer House.

Richard the roofing sheets aren't metal, this stuff.  

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Ariel-Coroline-Corrugated-Roofing-Sheet-Black-2m-x-950mm/p/893976

I did check the cutting specifications prior to sending the link.  Te advertising blurb does say the cutter can be used for other materiel other than metal.

Specifications:

CUTTING THICKNESS - Cuts material up to 2mm thick.

CUTTING SHAPES - Cuts corrugated, round, and complex shapes to a 12mm radius.

12 GAUGE - Copper, brass, aluminum.

14 GAUGE - Mild steel.

18 GAUGE - Stainless steel.

OTHER MATERIAL - Fiberglass, plexiglass, wood, vinyl, laminate, plastic, gutters, tiles, flooring, frames, studs, pipes and many other materials.

I also checked the Coroline thickness, which is 2.6 mm (I have it on my workshop roof) so the cutter would probably not have enough capacity in the jaw.  (A touch with the metal cutting disc on the angle grinder would soon open the jaw up enough)

I remember the PH and I cutting the sheets to size.

We made a long fence for the table saw, cranked up the blade and ran it through.  A nice straight cut resulted.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4