The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, Robert said:

Morning All,

It's a somewhat cloudy morning today, and rather chilly but apparently nothing unusual for the time of year.  They were saying on the radio this morning that the past few years have been so warm that we aren't used to such a cold snap in May.

Or they haven't got a way to restart it!  There are apocryphal stories of a Western left to idle in a set of London sidings for weeks because they didn't have a means available to restart it. :mocking_mini:

Have a good day everyone...

In 1963 the Hull to Withernsea branch line took delivery of DMU's. That was also that year of the very cold winter and the first  train from Withernsea could not be started, because it had been out there all night as a local living crew's duty. HQ issued an order to leave the train running all night but the locals soon complained about the noise in the early hours.

Just to close this story, I used to catch this service at the Marfleet station, in east Hull and one morning I could help but see the track and every thing else, was some what covered in snow. So much so that the train slide passed, wheels locked, to stop 50 yards or so down the track. The guard wanted us to walk down the track and as an employee, I didn't mind but there were two young ladies also waiting that morning. The train had to reverse for them!

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We both had field tests as well. Aditi seems to lose concentration and gets strange results. She admitted to thinking about cauliflower cheese while doing the test. 

Tony

Can't beat a good field test Tony, as long as the weather is gentle and warm ;-) ;-) ;-). As for cauliflower cheese, it was one of the weekly winter staples we had as a kid and I loathed it. Today, I think it is delightful (even if it does raise my flatulence up the Beaufort scale a little - I know, too much information for some).

I am now dreaming of such a delight, gently browning under the grill - yum and thank you Aditi!

• Like 9
  • Funny 7

Greetings all from LBG where it is grey with sunny intervals.

The weekend came and went far too quickly. The Brands Hatch outing was enjoyable but so cold that we left before the last two races because Younger Lurker was complaining. We have now also purchased some cheap camping chairs in anticipation of further visits; Mrs Lurker claims her weight loss* means that she no longer has the requisite padding to sit on the picnic blankets for a sustained period of time.

Other than that the weekend consisted of the g word and other domestic chores, and not a lot else

*She lost 2.5 stones over a few years by changing her diet.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

. We have now also purchased some cheap camping chairs in anticipation of further visits; Mrs Lurker claims her weight loss* means that she no longer has the requisite padding to sit on the picnic blankets...

*She lost 2.5 stones over a few years by changing her diet.

Well done Mrs Lurker, I love my food too much. Have a look at Silverstone at the end of July, three days of classics from various eras, lots of noise, smells, sliding, squealing and hopefully no total wrecks. Featuring this year 50 years of the Ford Capri, 60 years of the Mini and 100 years of Bentley. Who knows, you may even persuade Mrs Lurker to wear a minI!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Only just seen your post. Thanks for the info.

I picked up a Dewalt drill with two batteries and they are interchangeable with other tools of theirs such as the impact driver which I am tempted to get but want ot try using one first really. I will see if my friend who will be helping me tomorrow has one with him. I also got a pole drywall hand sander which is now being used to clean the G gauge track in the garden. Really doessave a lot of bending down to clean the rails. I know using sandpaper on rails isnt genrally recommendee but with all the carp and so on the at gets on the rails its the only way to clean them up.

So now I have the two windows for the shed, the doors arrive today along with the timber framing to build the walls. I still cant make my mind up as to whether i should have a normal apex roof or a flat roof to the shed. The flat roof will be easier and will give me the requires 1 in 6 fall plus keep it under the max height of 2.5M whereas the apex roof will mean going over that and taking the chance that no one queries it. The apex type does give me storage space for timber lengths in the roof void.

Unitl the materials arrive its going to be modelling time.

If you don't need a lot of windows you might use a gambrel roof. I built my garden shed that way about 22 years ago. Never had any leaks or damage despite lots of snow and ice.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all,

Yesterday, we went on a visit to Bletchley Park, which was a fascinating place.  Being a bank holiday it was very busy, and we had to queue for a while to get in, but it was worth it.  I hadn’t realised quite the effect that Bletchley Park had in so many areas of WW2.

Today, we have returned home to Cumbria.  We had a good run back up the A1 to Scotch Corner then decided to stop at the National Trust property Acorn Bank.  When we were last there, it was only a garden, but now they have opened up the house there as well, albeit it is pretty empty of furniture etc.  We managed to get on a guided tour of the house, which was fascinating.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The track pins were not were I expected to find them so I will probably have to buy some more, one sure way of finding them. However it has meant that I  have been able to sort some other items out and marked the containers with the contents.

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

There was an O16.5 layout of this railway called Cherry Orchard built by Ronnie Bailes a long time mate of mine.

Painting of doors ..done...well the primer has been completed..glossing to follow...

Baz

I was thinking of a small micro layout of that particular line in 009.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Yesterday, we went on a visit to Bletchley Park, which was a fascinating place.  Being a bank holiday it was very busy, and we had to queue for a while to get in, but it was worth it.  I hadn’t realised quite the effect that Bletchley Park had in so many areas of WW2.

Yes Simon, it is a site well worth an extended visit. I've been twice (will probably go again too), my mother worked there during the war in the Japanese cyphers department and my son has taken three trips from Coventry Uni to see how computing evolved.

• Like 18

Evening all, quiet sort of prepping for other things on another day sort of days, not wasted, but little tangible evidence of much happening. Our bin men's dispute is over, so the council tip should be clear for a run with rubbish from TOSH, need to get a wriggle on now the roofing has been ordered. I've got a roof of a bloody awkward size, so had to buy more of everything than I would have liked, I'm using corrugated manmade sheets with ridge pieces on top, unfortunately I will have to cut 5 of the sheets in half, I bet that will be an awkward job with a tenon saw, don't fancy trying the circular saw or the jig saw on what is giant crinkle cut chips.

Take care, g'night all.

• Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

Yes Simon, it is a site well worth an extended visit. I've been twice (will probably go again too), my mother worked there during the war in the Japanese cyphers department and my son has taken three trips from Coventry Uni to see how computing evolved.

I had a look at the Bletchley Park roll of honour while there, and found a name which intrigued me, as the name was almost impossibly rare, but could have been a relative of mine.  I may try to investigate further!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the rain that had been predicted for this morning didn’t happen, but we did get a light shower earlier this evening. 

As Sheila and I were sat having dinner, I was asked what I’d got planned for the afternoon. I replied I thought I might go to the workshop, but then suddenly remembered that max had asked for chocolate cake for tomorrow, so I baked a dozen cupcakes instead. 

After tea I sat and had a short rest before setting off for Salford Quays, surprisingly the water was a balmy 13.7C I was expecting around 12.5C. It was a lot quieter than I’d expected it to be, I was half expecting to queue up at the door for a good 10 minutes, but was able to walk straight in with no bother at all. I eventually entered the water at just after 6:45 and got out just before 7:45 and managed to swim 3 laps (approximately 1 mile) in just under the hour. The first lap took over 20 minutes, but after I’d warmed up got used to the water I seemed to speed up a bit and for the second and third laps I got a little quicker. 

After I’d got back home, I poured myself a bottle of Trooper, which I think I’d earned.

Goodnight all 

• Like 19