The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday to those born early May and celebrating yesterday / today - if yours is half as good as mine turned out then you will have something nice to remember.

Wickes - a part of Travis Perkins I believe - has a local branch from which I ordered some pressure treated framing timbers. I have never seen such twisted and knotted timber being pushed on the domestic consumer and this has deterred me from using that outlet in the future. I do hope that GDB's windows from that brand are not of such poor quality or his erection won't be properly contained :D.

Generally, fish stocks are symptomatic of our "I want it now" culture - we no longer take responsible amounts of creatures from the water. Fishery protection policies bring a consequence and every similar piece of legislation has resulted in an (un)equal and opposite effect - think by-catch and Mr Fearnly-Whittingstall's campaigns in Brussels for the marine environment. There is a story how at the end of The Raj or early Indian independence, the government introduced a bounty to attempt people to cull snakes (which had become something of a problem). The result of this legislation was that enterprising people set up farms to breed snakes to "harvest " the bounty! In today's world, the real issues about climate change, starvation, disease recurrence etc. is that of population - when the global population in 1960 was barely 3 billion and today it is not far off 8 billion, the impact on humanity is not surprising.

The angry version of Kingzance has now left a certain corner in Hyde Park and has taken his small box with him.

The placid version of Kinzance is now contemplating how he will solve Grandson No2's gaming headphones issue, a probable trip to the never knowingly undersold food emporium, the arrival of SWMBO's sister for the weekend and consequently how many bottles of alcohol I will need to maintain my exterior aura of serenity. Majestic Wine may see an increase in trade. At least it seems a certain young whippersnapper from Northern Ireland is currently playing some good golf at Quail Hollow, the rugby this evening could be interesting too - I am almost wishing Tigers to do well simply to boost Saints chances of reaching the play-offs (hope that doesn't bring a heap of approbation from Saints supporters). We don't play until tomorrow, after which our brethren from Welford Road will probably know their team's fate, as will the Falcon's supporters.

Coffee calls, have a nice day y'all.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday Stewart. As far as I know the only childhood illness I had was chicken pox but my sister had measles but didn't pass it on to my brother or myself. The most serious childhood illness I suffered was a quincey when I was 5. So serious in fact that I spent Christmas in hospital, the only other child to do so then was only two years old and seemed to be asleep most of the time. Thankfully I recovered largely due too massive doses of penicillin. One advantage of being a child in hospital over Christmas was the number of toys delivered by Santa, much more and better quality than my parents could ever afford. The results are now in for the local elections and we now have a hung council, now where did I put that rope?:jester:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Birthday greetings to Stewart 

I have a friend who could not catch chicken pox! His parents took him to visit practically every child in the village with it but it never took.

Mornin awl 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Back from Chopin.. Chuckinitdarn here still.

I had the full nine yards as a kid, the worst one was a grumbling appendix..I still have an appendix! One Christmas I had mumps on Christmas Day..by New Years Day I had the grumbling appendix. I was too ill to be moved so lay in bed for about 4 weeks.  I lost oodles of weight ..so much so that on my return to school my Geography teacher hauled me down to the front of the class and demanded I ate a Mars Bar ..there and then!  As it was free I did!

Both of our Herberts were vaccinated. It doesn't seem to have harmed them much. 

Hope the rest of the day goes well for you all.

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Morning...…………………..we had 3 degrees in my greenhouse last night(that'll be the temperature not that rather drab girl band lol) so we probably had a frost outside, tatties were covered with fleece as they are up already.

Happy Birthday to Stewart(one of my favourite Minions, ask your grandkids)

Not a lot planned for today, both of us aching with sore backs, flippin cold, wet weather, now why did I move to Scotland, it wasnae for the weather for sure lol.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Generally, fish stocks are symptomatic of our "I want it now" culture - we no longer take responsible amounts of creatures from the water.

You are right there Kingzance.  Having grown up in a village sandwiched between two fishing towns, I have a degree of sympathy for the Fishermen - particularly the small business fishermen whose families have been doing it for generations and they are just trying to earn an honest living.  However, as we all know it isn't quite as simple as that.  Currently, the five biggest quota holders control more than a third of the total catch of the UK fishing industry.

Fishing quotas were introduced because of chronic overfishing during the 1970s.  Some species were almost hunted to extinction.  In fact, in 1976 a 980 tonne trawler landed the biggest ever catch of Icelandic Cod in Grimsby (and still holds the world record) of 3000 kits - that's nearly 200 tonnes from one catch.  (Incidentally this trawler, the Ross Revenge, went on to become Radio Caroline's radio ship - but that's another story).  Obviously, that sort of fishing is unsustainable and while it is clearly nonsense to throw dead undersized fish back into the water the sentiment behind the rules actually makes sense.

At the end of the day, the quota system is not perfect but it's the best we've got and if fishing is allowed to continue without any limits, fish stocks will deplete to the point of extinction, and then there won't be a fishing industry left to save to say nothing of what it will do to the marine ecosystem.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 12
  • Agree 5

greetings and birthday wishes to Kingzance and Stuart. and congratulations to Jamie and family.

Life trucks on. We're going to Brands Hatch on Sunday to feed Younger Lurker's love of supercars; the Blancpain GT world challenge and the GT4 European series; think race versions of all those expensive Lambos and McLarens and Bentleys.

And I know I have been warned but I mught just go and look at the DJM thread....

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthdays to those suffering, or having recently suffered, from same.

Is any one else getting adverts appearing in the middle of the home page?  They are mostly railway related photos and appear behind the text.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

We're going to Brands Hatch on Sunday to feed Younger Lurker's love of supercars; the Blancpain GT world challenge and the GT4 European series; think race versions of all those expensive Lambos and McLarens and Bentleys.

Do enjoy, these wonderful vehicles won't be around much longer for two reasons. The first relates to their consumption of fuel, not deemed socially responsible these days and the second is that they simply cannot be repaired / rebuilt endlessly. I've put out a fire in one before now and felt the impact when they go into the armco! They remind me of Good morning Vietnam - Robin Williams doing the artilleryman's request "play anything, but play it LOUD".

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BoD said:

Happy birthdays to those suffering, or having recently suffered, from same.

Is any one else getting adverts appearing in the middle of the home page?  They are mostly railway related photos and appear behind the text.

On iPad there is an advert showing a Peco point motor. Clicking on it takes on to a well known purveyor of model railway items on the Isle of Man.The top of the home page ad is for Mercedes  vans in Medway. 

On my Android phone the ads take over the whole screen.

Edited by Tony_S
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I shall stick to my laptop ...

Chris

Me too, but I will also be keeping my adblockers active also, as I just don't want any adverts, even those related to our hobby, as I know where to buy, I know all the websites, and in any event, I prefer to buy from a model shop and not a box shifter - problem here is the lack of a good model shop since The Train Shop in Morecambe closed.  When I start buying again, I will take my custom to Mike's in Carlisle.

Now then, not a lot has happened on my 67th - I have managed to backread, taken 30747 to work, taken Lily for a walk in Kirkby Lonsdale, been to Lancaster to not get a bank print due to an IT "issue", been to two charity shops picked 30747 up again - so just a regular Friday.

Pleased to see that nobody here seems to be ailing too much more than usual.

Back tomorrow (?)

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Wickes - a part of Travis Perkins I believe - has a local branch from which I ordered some pressure treated framing timbers. I have never seen such twisted and knotted timber being pushed on the domestic consumer and this has deterred me from using that outlet in the future. I do hope that GDB's windows from that brand are not of such poor quality or his erection won't be properly contained :D.

Not sure what made you think I got my shed from them KZ.  I normally only use them for bits and pieces and certainly wouldn't buy timber from them. The stuff I've seen there is , as you rightly point out, total carp.  I use a local timber merchant who does "proper" wood.  The shed was made by A & J Sectional Buildings in Wellingborough. and I think is excellent quality although not cheap. My landscape gardening friend Mark liked it and is considering getting one for his son's new house.

Doctor's visit was OK and a new med prescribed so I'll probably be around to spout more of my inane drivel for some time to come! :yes:

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Here's a little tune for TB, Dave and KZ just to wind warm them up for tonight's rugby. Knowing the usual result when I do something like this it may even do you all a favour!  :banghead:

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon from Estuary-Land. Still struggling with Farcebook though its a real PITA.

1 hour ago, pH said:

Yesterday I pulled up at traffic lights behind a car with the "vanity" plate RSOLE2. That is disturbing on several levels, not least of which is the implication that there's also an RSOLE1. 

How many digits can they have?:jester:

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

On iPad there is an advert showing a Peco point motor. Clicking on it takes on to a well known purveyor of model railway items on the Isle of Man.The top of the home page ad is for Mercedes  vans in Medway. 

On my Android phone the ads take over the whole screen.

Interesting, as we don't buy advertising from RMWeb! We do use Google, however it often throws up obsolete pages from ages ago on searches- always the same few items.  We get folk that then call as the item they want won't stay in the basket when checking out, as it doesn't exist in stock. Usually the green Bachmann 37 with no yellow panels or a couple of other things.  Odd.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11