The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, laurenceb said:

All I know about having the measles is that it nearly killed me so I tend to get somewhat annoyed about people who won't have their children vaccinated . As for the claim that vaccination causes autism,  I am autistic without being vaccinated. 

There has been a study involving 500 000 children, yes half a million and therefore a huge sample, that has proved conclusively that the incidence of autism in vaccinated children is exactly the same as in the general population i.e vaccination is NOT responsible for the development of autism.  Yet there are still detractors who vehemently will not accept that fact and risk their offspring with debilitating disease and death.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14

I have just watched a BBC Wales programme called “The 1900 Island” on iPlayer, after my brother told me about it.  It features 4 modern families who went to live on an Island called LLanddwyn, off the coast of Anglesey, to live as they would have back in 1900, in 4 small fishermen’s cottages.  I found it fascinating, as when I was very young, we would have summer holidays on the island, in a small prefab bungalow that has long since gone.  At the same time my grandparents would rent one of the 4 Cottages featured in the programme.  A few years ago, I took my two sons to the island for a day trip, and they couldn’t believe that we could happily spend a week or more on the island.  Even in the early 1960s, provisions would come onto the island via a horse and cart, owned by a woman called Nellie.  

The programme had had some of the men out mackerel fishing and catching nothing for hours, but even in my late teens, I caught a load of mackerel there, by towing a spinner behind a canoe.  The carnivorous mackerel thought that the spinner was a smaller fish and tried to eat it!

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, Simon G said:

The programme had had some of the men out mackerel fishing and catching nothing for hours, but even in my late teens, I caught a load of mackerel there, by towing a spinner behind a canoe.  The carnivorous mackerel thought that the spinner was a smaller fish and tried to eat it!

Does this say something about depleted fish stocks?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mackerel-is-off-the-menu-as-stocks-fall-5lfqgg6x3

Times article - Mackerel is off the menu as stocks fall.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Does this say something about depleted fish stocks?

Too right! Back in the mid '70s I went mackerel fishing several times off Cornwall using just pieces of cooking foil as bait and about the only limitation on catch size was how quickly you could get the hooks out of the fish and back in the water. Last year I tried it again and came back empty handed after several unfruitful hours.

So, unless the fish have got a lot wiser......

Night night All. Have a peaceful and restful one.

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Despite this morning’s changeable weather, we had several light showers early on, but by dinner time the sun was out, it warmed up nicely and remained so for the rest of the day. 

I made use of the time that the cake was in the oven by retrieving my sports bag which contains my wetsuit and other open water swimming equipment. Once that was checked and I’d taken the cake out of the oven, I made myself a muggertea and then went to the workshop. In between the showers I managed to complete the 4th stand and also made the a retaining plate for all for. 

After dinner I returned to working in the cellar and installed the back boxes and wiring for the 6 double sockets and 1 single socket in the small cellar room. I’m now ready to make a start on fitting the ceiling, hopefully sometime next week.

Later in the evening, I settled down and took GDB’s advice and enjoy bottle of Doombar, which went down really well. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

Good morning one and all, with birthday greetings to Stewart and belated greetings to Kingzance

I'm still buzzing from last night's concert, though at one stage I wondered if I would get there in time.  "There" was Cecil Sharp House, a brisk and purposeful stride from Camden Town tube and far enough from the 214 bus stop for me to get soaking wet in the badly timed cloudburst.  The service had been disrupted and when a 214 eventually came I faced the challenge of trying to stand, hold on to something and munch a baguette.  For the homeward run I resorted to the Northern Line and remarkably got from the venue to the low level platforms at St Pancras in 21 minutes, in time for a semi-fast back to Bedford.  The venue and the artiste were mutually incongruous but somehow it worked and there was a standing ovation at the end.  Grace Petrie is a modern day protest singer, very lesbian, very left wing, very clever at rhymes - who else would think of pairing "f*cked yah" with "structure"? - and very entertaining!  I'm out gigging again tonight, with Sam Sweeney [late of Bellowhead] at The Stables.

Someone has been tidying up around here.  A post which was rather more personal than wise has been taken down, as has my warning reply.  Blink and you would have missed them.  Most of us, I think, know better than to make jibes about our fellow ERs.  If we do not play nicely we risk losing our playground.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Edited by chrisf
Didn't know about the birthdays
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I was ill enough with most of the diseases prevalent in the 50s and 60s so I hope I have some immunity. When Matthew was a baby we were recommended to have polio boosters. A different polio vaccine is used now. 

I wish there had been a measles vaccine when I was young, I was really ill with it. 

Tony

The thinking here seems to be that if you were born before 1957 (prior to MMR vaccinations) you now have natural immunity because you were almost certainly exposed to the virus. I probably had a mild case. You were not so fortunate Tony. My dad did tell me that whooping-cough nearly took me out when I was a few months old.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner temple Hare,

A 3 piece sleep of around 6 hours not too bad I suppose.

Tomorrow is "put the boat out day" at our sailing club, basically anyone can turn up and have a free sail, Most clubs will have one this month (particulaerly at the bank holidays. If you fancy having a sail and wonder what it's all about contact your local club..

The only thing I've caught is Chicken pox and that wan't until I was 17, I'd had all my childhood vacinations too. I've since been injected for everything as every Service / ex service man has since the vaccinations came along. 

Dry at home but patch drizzle in areas on the way in, which was slowed by gravel chippings they are throwing around on the road..

yesterdays work went well again, I have to go process the cross check results when I go to the lab, then I have 5, 10 G Ohm  resistor measurments to do they take about 1/2 an hour each to settle..so about 3 hours work, then 4 high current shunts that'll warm things up

Time to... hobble down to the lab... yes my leg is playing up again..

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Curious! It is only there on the way back. Is it not there on the way out? Sounds magical!

Would be even better if it was a different one on the way out to the way back:drink_mini:

Good morning all. Overcast but dry at the moment. It was raining when we walked back from the pub via the polling station (didnt go in on the way to the pub as my other half was on the train home) just before 10pm.

Off to Kernows new shop in Guildford so no shed building today. Talking of which the windows that I wanted from Wickes show in stock till you go to pick a delivery date and thats isnt working either so may need a rethink on the windows and door.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

39 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Morning All

Today marks the start of my 68th trip round the sun,

Back later

Regards to All

Stewart

Happy 67th Birthday Stewart!

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and Many Happy Returns to Stewart.

Grey skies here at the moment but sunny spells and showers on the menu for today.

First task today is a visit to the medic regarding an ongoing but hopefully not too serious problem.

After that I have to collect a couple of blinds for the shed and then fit them. That shouldn't tax me too much.

This evening I will be rather hoping that 'Quins don't have their laces tied together Dave but can fully understand why you (and TB) might wish for that. I will of course be watching the match.

On the subject of children and vaccinations I'm pleased to say that all our grandchildren have had all those on offer, particularly important for Joe who has Type 1 Diabetes and the girls who have had the cervical cancer vaccine.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just heard a piece on the radio from my Sailing Club, it went well a good advertisment for the club, Seemingly 39,000 went to events round the country last year to try sailing.. go on you know you want too..

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning All dark and dank here up early to see all the happy workers go off to work with long faces, I tried to go back to bed with no success I don't fancy

the garage today unless it warms up there are a thousand and one jobs to be done like finishing the packing I am told, the cases have been zipped up for

days the mind boggles as to what needs to be done with them.

Once Her gets clear of the bathroom I can get on.

Enjoy your day :superman:B.Oredom. :bye_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Happy Birthday Stewart.

It isn’t raining. Aditi seems to think it will this afternoon.  

I will at some time later today resume painting.

We have booked flights and an overnight stay in Dublin later this month to collect Matthew’s items that had been retained by the police.  Ryanair now fly from Southend to Dublin, rather than FlyBe who we have used until now. 

Tony 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s chuckinitdarn here in the northwest, I’m glad I got my outside work done yesterday! On morning’s shopping trip to the Trafford Centre I will be accompanied by Sheila, as she wants to get a birthday gift for a friend. As is the norm, we will make our usual return home via the butchers for our weekly meat rations. 

Later this afternoon we will be joined for tea by James and Amelia, in between then not a lot will be done, perhaps a bit of research or even some eyelid inspection.  

Stewart. Happy birthday 

back later

• Like 16