The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The dodgy ad  is appearing in the banner again. It says 'Congratulations you are our 1,000,000th visitor' and invites you to 'click here'. My security software throws a wobbly if I click on it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The dodgy ad  is appearing in the banner again. It says 'Congratulations you are our 1,000,000th visitor' and invites you to 'click here'. My security software throws a wobbly if I click on it.

There have been comments about in the forum fault thread. AndyY is aware, it isn’t anything to do with Gold. It seems as if it is the wrong ad server and it shouldn’t be there in that form. I just get ads for Victorian plumbing, model aeroplanes and insurance loss assessors. 

I painted half the  the study ceiling  this afternoon. Putting sheets down took longer than the painting. The ceiling is in two distinct halves, as one is in the dormer  bit of the room. I am not moving the drip sheets until I am certain it doesn’t need another coat. There is no hurry about the job. 

Tony

• Like 19

Today has been largely spent taking my mother to visit her sister-in-law in Wendover, about an hours drive from Wokingham.  Living in the north, I don’t always realise just how busy and over-crowded the roads are in the south east.  We had a very pleasant lunch at a Wendover, but the getting there and back was no pleasure.  Tomorrow I am meeting an old University friend in Reading, so will go by train.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I'm getting an ad for Wickes, quite apt for me at the moment.

In other news you may (or may not) be pleased to learn that no injuries have happened to anyone or anything except the concrete I was attacking.  And yes Bob, PPE (various) was worn. Once again my demolition hammer was not really man enough for the task but I persevered as hiring a bigger tool for such a small job would have been a bit silly. I won, eventually.

Now relaxing with a bottle of Hobgoblin and awaiting the roast chicken dinner which is almost ready.

When I broke my concrete up for the start of the trench I used my Bosch SDS drill in chisel mode and a sledgehammer. I now know that the sensible thing would have been to ask the neighbour for something bigger. They hadn’t moved in long then but Tom has assured me he can break most things up or at least has equipment to do so. 

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 81C said:

I just got one for Ann Summers  :O:O:O  :wub:    :jester:

Perhaps someone else has used your computer. As they are Google ads it probably responds to Google searches. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

When I broke my concrete up for the start of the trench I used my Bosch SDS drill in chisel mode and a sledgehammer. I now know that the sensible thing would have been to ask the neighbour for something bigger. They hadn’t moved in long then but Tom has assured me he can break most things up or at least has equipment to do so. 

Tony

To supply power to my shed I had to drill a hole on the reinforced concrete retaining wall in the garage under the house. Naturally I ran right into a steel reinforcing bar.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

At work I was getting a red banner with "ad blocked" I'm guessing by the in house anti virus systems.  I wondered what was going on.. 

Nothing on this tablet at the moment.. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AndyID said:

To supply power to my shed I had to drill a hole on the reinforced concrete retaining wall in the garage under the house. Naturally I ran right into a steel reinforcing bar.

I sympathise. In this house a steel girder seems to be behind  anywhere I want to put something. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, lightengine said:

Having just covered my river bridge in DAS and scribed stonework into it, what is the favoured method of painting it?  Does it need an over all coat of something akin to mortar colour and then paint the stones? Any suggestions greatfully received.

Base colour then a thinner wash of mortar colour over  sections and wipe the residual wash away leaving the stonework slightly lighter and the cracks mortar coloured.

Well worth getting David Wright's book(s) on the subject.

image.png.661f517af6f4357c55d735f999adb972.png

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I will be doing battle with Farcebook again shortly. I'm sure that they must have a department that thinks up new ways to p!ss off their users.

I spotted one banner ad this morning that had appeared on another site that when I clicked on it my firewall threw up the shutters. I use an ad blocker but on RMweb and other free sites I disable it but if that sort of ad pops up I might reconsider it.

I already use ABP (Ad Blocker Plus) but disable it for many sites that I consider should show ads to me. Currently it IS disabled for RMWeb but, like you, I may have to reconsider that choice if there are going to be streams of festering unwanted/irrelevant ads popping up :butcher:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

HMM the NHS web site announces it's going paperless, so that prepay cards for prescriptions will no longer be sent out...

However the surgeries need proof that you've paid.. so you've got to print  out your receipt yourself... I'd better keep that receipt email as it will need printing out till she's 60.. Next January..

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

21 minutes ago, lightengine said:

My missus has had 3 missed calls in recent days from 07418349917 (IIRC) saying if she doesn't phone back a warrant will be issued for her arrest.

Ah hah! ye olde HMRC scam - I had it a couple of weeks ago - they are persistent beggars but it  ddn't stop me putting the phone down every time without a word.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Live long and prosper - oh, sorry, that it is three days time, isn't it.

I think that May the fourth (be with you) is about Star Wars whereas Live long and prosper is about Star Trek - not that I'm an expert but my No. 1 son is fairly well up on it (honest).

But....

Happy birthday K.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Simon G said:

Today has been largely spent taking my mother to visit her sister-in-law in Wendover, about an hours drive from Wokingham.  Living in the north, I don’t always realise just how busy and over-crowded the roads are in the south east.  We had a very pleasant lunch at a Wendover, but the getting there and back was no pleasure.  Tomorrow I am meeting an old University friend in Reading, so will go by train.

For a quieter drive to Wendover from Reading/Wokingham, try Nettlebed and the B4009.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Cricket ..umpired.

some huge 6s scored by the GSAL openers

Watched the Northants v Yorkshire game...for some reason I have umpired games which have had a lot of players on both sides involved...I now feel a lot older!

Glad to hear you are safely returned from your trip Mike.

Now off for a mugadecaf.

Baz

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Had an ad for Tennants trains! As well as the 1,000,000 visit one, didn't click of course. One that appeared yesterday was for a relevant ad's provider. Think that Google or whoever is cluttering us up needs to look at it

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

Evening all(flexes knees in a Dixon of Dock Green manner), had a nice day on Grandad duties in Perth, might know our week would clash with the A4 Union of South Africa going through our village, luckily it is due back again on Sunday with a return Edinburgh to Aberdeen train, just need an accurate time now. Weather here was rumoured to be deteriorating towards the weekend, I hope not got a few jobs piling up outside including some fishing and photography.

Glad all those supervising shed work has gone well, I can sit and watch work for hours me without once feeling guilty about not helping lol.

• Like 11
  • Funny 3