The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It's slightly dull but still quite warm here in the northwest. Breakfast has been consumed and I'll shortly be setting off for the swimming pool, this will probably be the last time I go to the pool until late September early October, as next week open water swimming will begin. That reminds me, I must gig out my wetsuit.

Back later 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

The cloud has been burnt off and it's nice and bright I'm off for a haircut, return to clear mess up in the conservatory and wait for a text from

Screwfix to say my Dremel accessories are in store, I might pop into Hobbycraft to see if there is any offers on acrylic paint.

Must get on :superman: O.D D'job. :bye_mini:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Quite warm this morning with hazy sunshine but not going to last according to the seaweed twirlers. I hope that Bob has alerted the necessary emergency services that he is using an angle grinder. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 11
  • Funny 6

Overcast here in sunny Teignmouth today but I can see Shaldon which means there is no sea mist.

Very impressed with GDB's shed.  If he just clads it internally with foam rubber he will be safe for years.  But I have a feeling electricity, pointy sharp things, tools and other weapons of infinite danger will soon fill it.

Having just covered my river bridge in DAS and scribed stonework into it, what is the favoured method of painting it?  Does it need an over all coat of something akin to mortar colour and then paint the stones? Any suggestions greatfully received.

20190501_092339.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

All this talk of Morris Men remember the Cloggies from The Private Eye magazine or even the Droogie's from The Clockwork Orange .:jester:

I'm back from the barbers Her has highjacked me to try on old clothes which I had done  2 days ago she like to buy stuff wear it once hang it in the wardrobe

for a year then take it to the charity shop and wants me to do the same I've told her she can wear clothes more than once :girldevil::punish::blackeye:,I always keep a

bag of odd's and sod's for decorating and the like Her doesn't think that's a good Idea.:banghead:

better get on Her is on the prowl. :girldevil:

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Beltane greetings! I passed on the opportunity to watch Morris dancing at dawn, but Mrs mole turned out to play for Red Stags at Southampton Bargate, with King John's Morris also dancing. I trust the Ampthill event went well and that Chris is enjoying his beers.

Happy Birthday to Kingzance.

I shall shortly resume construction of a garden box to accomodate mower, tools etc. evicted from their shed...by shoes.

Have a good May Day.

Pete

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I thought I was awake early but clearly not as Aditi woke me “are you awake?”, “I am now”, “it is bin day”.

So I got up and and put out the small quantity of non recyclable waste we have amassed over the past fortnight. 

When I dug the trench for our “summerhouse” or big shed as I call it, it seemed quite a task. It was only about 6 metres once I had got past the concrete path round the house. Digging a trench just over 600mm deep through heavy clay wasn’t as easy as I thought. I don’t think I could do it now. 

Tony

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, lightengine said:

Having just covered my river bridge in DAS and scribed stonework into it, what is the favoured method of painting it?  Does it need an over all coat of something akin to mortar colour and then paint the stones? Any suggestions greatfully received.

What a fab looking bridge!

Whilst I know it's a totally different structure, THIS is what I did for Sandy Shore's lighthouse.
Put simply, I did exactly what you suggested; an overall wash of mortar colour (making it thin enough so that it'll seep into the mortar courses, but not so thin that it immediately runs off!), then followed by painting random stones in slight variations of the "correct" stone colour (which in this case was slight variations of the mortar colour as the stone was so similar in colour). Any final washes (immediately rubbed off with a paper towel) or perhaps some drybrushing here and there can then be done to weather the structure further.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

Sheds, I'm building four at the moment.  but they are all to 1:45 scale.  I've decided to have one with open doors and a Volkswagen truck (donated by TonyA) sticking out the front.  Cliché, I know!  But I have been in the garage, modifying the sliding doors.

No reports of a trauma shout in Sutton, still time.  Bill

• Like 12
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning yet again from Estuary-Land. Been trying to work as best I can with the 'new' Facebook, user friendly it is not. I think I've viewed all of the new posts on the groups but I cannot be certain.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Her has gone out and I've completed the task of replacing the curtain rails it was becoming quiet therapeutic sitting calmly and achieving something without Her nattering in my ear hole better than watching

cabbages in a pub car park where any sensible person would be inside at the bar getting p!ssed. :biggrin_mini2:

GDB how dare you infer we take the p!ss out of Sainsburys.

BTW how was the Lady at till No 2 today ?:rofl: , powering up the tools sounds dangerous I hope your wearing your PPE. :nono:

• Like 14

Hump day, morning all.

Either I've lost the plot, OR, managed to miss some memo?? Today at the top of the RMWeb pages, between the banner/menu and the content I'm seeing an "Adchoices" advertising strip with all kinds of junk advertising unrelated to anything I'm interested in especially mostly NON-model railway.

Is this some nefarious new feature to try and get me/us to go "Gold"? Presumably a Gold membership would rid me of that non-model advertising banner? I know there's always been advertising there, but it used to be just model railway related, didn't it? Or am I seriously losing it!

Oh well, not the only carp seen on 90% of the web nowadays <sigh> :O

Not much going on, just working away.

3 cloudy with drizzle, may make 9 later for the high.

Tally ho...

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Must be something in the water:rolleyes:

Morning from shed day 2 - unfortunately mine will take much longer than GDB's whos shed looks excellent. Still deciding on roof construction. I was thinking of insulation roofing felt then battens and finally crinkly tin but builder said that would sweat. However with the air gap between the tin and felt plus insulation I am not so sure it will. Must have a word with the friend (3 sheds) who has used it on one of his.

More tea making and modelling for me - must get my FEC geep finished along with decals on my Amfleet coaches so I can make use of my Amtrak cabbage for Devon Freemo.

My shed has a tin roof with a layer of insulation to prevent condensation. Seems to work.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I will be doing battle with Farcebook again shortly. I'm sure that they must have a department that thinks up new ways to p!ss off their users.

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Hump day, morning all.

Either I've lost the plot, OR, managed to miss some memo?? Today at the top of the RMWeb pages, between the banner/menu and the content I'm seeing an "Adchoices" advertising strip with all kinds of junk advertising unrelated to anything I'm interested in especially mostly NON-model railway.

Is this some nefarious new feature to try and get me/us to go "Gold"? Presumably a Gold membership would rid me of that non-model advertising banner? I know there's always been advertising there, but it used to be just model railway related, didn't it? Or am I seriously losing it!

Oh well, not the only carp seen on 90% of the web nowadays <sigh> :O

Not much going on, just working away.

3 cloudy with drizzle, may make 9 later for the high.

Tally ho...

I spotted one banner ad this morning that had appeared on another site that when I clicked on it my firewall threw up the shutters. I use an ad blocker but on RMweb and other free sites I disable it but if that sort of ad pops up I might reconsider it.

• Like 14

9 hours ago, AndyID said:

I think I've mentioned before that I'm actually the president! The president of our little community water association no less. I got stuck with it when the previous incumbent "done a runner". Then our treasurer, who is married to one of the residents decided she would prefer to be single. She is now living in her (married) previous-husband's basement. The good news is I've been able to talk another resident into taking on the treasurer role.

Sounds like we may have a rival to "Chronicles of La Sarthe"!

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8