The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Once again the sun is shining and the sky is blue and there aren’t as many clouds as we had yesterday. Breakfast has been consumed and I will shortly set off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. I suspect that there may well be a trip to Waitrose this afternoon!

Back later 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Mawning from a cool Herts where there is currently a mixture of sunshine and cloud. Yes, “other duties” including lawns were the order of the day yesterday. Sadly Darcy Bussell didn’t make an appearance but the closest diggers have finished digging a series of graves the footings for the nearest houses. The earth should stop moving for SWMBO for a while now (and I should be harangued less too).

Measuring for Kingzance platform bases proceeded eventually and now I need to acquire suitable 15mm base material to cut and shape to the required form, something light and easily cut / shaped would be ideal but I don’t yet know if I can get that thickness in closed cell insulation board. 15mm is purrfik as the 2mm deep extended support edge plus 1mm platform slab will give 18mm and the rail tops would then be 12mm under the platform top – all as shown on the OO gauge structures dimensions I have.

Today is the calm before the storm that marks the passage of another decade for me and for which no doubt wife, daughter and grandkids (bless them all) have plans. Without wishing to be any more ungrateful, grumpy and curmudgeonly, I am happy enough in the corner making my own amusement but that will not be part of the day for sure! Tuesdays are the day on which the fresh fish man commeth to the village so tonight’s meal and a kipper for later in the week will be purchased. No1 grandson will need taking to his golf lesson (and I will have to spend some modelling tokens on the term’s lessons for him) whilst my weekly journey to one of our two pubs under the guise of playing cribbage is scheduled for the evening, followed by a gentle weave along the village byways to get home after a few glasses of brown solution containing boiled malt, hops and CH3-CH2-OH.

Brian W’s use of waste timber is very impressive but I would struggle in a cellar that is barely 6’ high before the roof is boarded - good luck. Similar felicitations to GDB and Roundhouse, just keep the tea coming (and don’t forget the biscuits). Re non-waxy cherry blossom Mr Hunt, it looks like we will be having a decent crop this year if I can protect our young trees from feathered scavengers. As our friends in the US would say: have a nice day y’all.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

I bet GDB is in second heaven at the moment he might land at the end of the day when they slap the bill in his hand I do hope all goes well with the build and the

finished product is what it says on the packet.

Chris I wouldn't make an @rse of myself jumping around a pub car park dressed like a cabbage if it was with something along the lines of Pans People now that's

a different matter.  :dancer::you::danced::jester:

Today I will cut the remainder of those damn rails the brackets have all been fixed  it takes seconds to clip them in Her has moaned the new rails are lower and she has 

had to trim a centimeter of the vertical blinds.

must get on enjoy your day :superman:Hilary Blinds :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 16

Morning awl,

Waiting for the mobile tyre service to turn up to replace the front nearside tyre.  Achieved doing a left turn at 2 mph into traffic and slightly overcompensating .  Managed to limp home.  The cunning plan was to replace both front tyres before next winter, so the accountant in me is just considering it as an early payment.

Meanwhile, I'm doing my German homework.

Keep well awl, Bill 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

ER shed (number 2) update:rolleyes:

Materials being unloaded. This insulation for the floor came through the house as is the ply but the timber framing for the base will come over next doors wall once they have drunk tea. Good job they don't want coffee as cant find any normal coffee, just weird flavoured stuff my other half drinks occasionally.

20190430_084028.jpg

Aren't you getting a bit carried away with garden railway tunnels there? ;-)

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Planning the 009 layout, it will only be an oval on a 100cm X 50cm baseboard on a softwood frame, that should fit nicely inside the car. I am trying to sort out a suitable base for the 'mini-micro' track, I did try a small shallow wooden box that once contained liqueur chocolates, the width was OK but its about a centimetre too short. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Aren't you getting a bit carried away with garden railway tunnels there? ;-)

Keeps the trains warm:rolleyes:

The bases and perimeter framework is in place to three sides. I reckon they will be complete end of tomorrow then the hard work by me will commence.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

These 2 lads don't hang about apart from when tea and biscuits are offered and  they do seem to have a prodigious thirst. The shed is already up and the felt is now going on the roof. First impressions are excellent.

Woo Hoo lets party. :dancer::dancer::dancer:

No advancement here no rails cut yet it's like a sauna in that conservatory I did ask Her to open it up this morning when she went to feed the birds. :banghead:

It's lunch time, bacon rolls yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, 81C said:

Woo Hoo lets party. :dancer::dancer::dancer:

No advancement here no rails cut yet it's like a sauna in that conservatory I did ask Her to open it up this morning when she went to feed the birds. :banghead:

It's lunch time, bacon rolls yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yes, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm - you've convinced me too. As they say, one moment on the lips and one life on the hips but sod it! :imsohappy:

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

We have Donald Trumps nappy  (think protesters ballon) hanging from the lab roof.

Or to be more precise two men have just fitted 70ft of aluminum track parallel rails 3 ft apart, to the ceiling, in the middle hangs a junction between the incoming air tube and the two long arms going down the lab, the bit in the middle, a cream colour looks like...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The things I'd do to have a well insulated shed as a model-making room!
My dad bought a cheap one for me about 15 years ago. Less than a year later it was no longer watertight. I had started building an N gauge layout heavily inspired by Dawlish, but alas, I only was able to run it for one day before water seeped in! In view of redoing our entire garden (and the fact it was starting to fall down anyway), the shed was demolished last year... but the garden is still an absolute tip due to various problems. As a result, I've had Calshot suspended in the garage for 9 years, and is covered in a cm of dust (and will probably need to be dismantled as it's really started to deteriorate). It's sad because it's my first "proper" layout that I took to a few exhibitions. I'd love to rebuild it, but I have 2 other layouts to finish first, and I'm not sure how much I would be able to salvage; the hangar has already collapsed, the hardstanding would need redoing, and the baseboard has started to twist and come apart. The only layout I have room in my bedroom to work on is my latest layout (Sandy Shores). The other layout is not only big, but an awkward propeller shape; I don't make things easy for myself!

But it's not all doom and gloom; Sandy Shores has been so well received, and had so many invites that it looks like it's going to be active for a number of years.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Blood given and BP taken.

A walk to and from the surgery followed by grass cutting should get me the odd brownie point. 

Carpet man has measured room..sadly the underlay cost the same as the carpet!

Finished fitting a gearbox in a loco for an occasional ER.

Time for a mugadecaf

Baz

• Like 19

Managed to get side-tracked yesterday and never got around to an update from the weekend and here it is Chewsday already!

Weekend in brief;

With the forecast winter weather (sleet and snow) for Saturday, we postponed the cabin cleanup/pump install until Sunday. That left Saturday for a very productive but strenuous time getting items (paint, trim, other carp)  for the other house, followed by a LOT of painting, tile sealing, floor laying and sundry other events. <yawn> <groan>

Sunday the family spent several hours (great when there are five pairs of hands!) preparing the lake cabin for the summer season. Only casualty on the plumbing - usually SOMETHING happens with an exterior well system - was the toilet valve deciding it was old enough it should fall apart once the water pressure got to it. Everything else went well.

One NOTE - the winter weather NEVER MATERIALIZED, both days were nice spring partly sunny days. So much for seaweed twirlers predictions :jester:

On the weather front, lest you think Minnesota is starting to wimp out - yesterday the northern parts got 8-12 inches of SNOW, with 5+ as close as a couple of hours north of us. A note from our favourite weather forecaster, in the newspaper today, reminded us that Minnesota has had only ONE recorded month when there's been no snow ANYWHERE in the state - that's July folks...

The flooring install in the basement of the other house is starting to confuse me - this on a visual check only, I feel I've got about a third down, and used just five boxes out of the 25 "calculated" to be needed. Beats me where most of that stuff will end up - probably/hopefully back at the SHOP with a refund :)

More floor laying tonight...

4 and cloudy, expecting a high of 9 and some rain later.

Carry on, if you can ;)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Sheds seem to be the topic of the day! I have just had a massive clean up in mine after finishing tree making part one ie 17 trees with more sagebrush ( tree makiing ala Kevin of Little Muddle fame) due to arrive  this weekend courtesey of a friend who is visiting the USA.

Its great to be able to leave stuff on the workbench and come back to it at a later date none of that can you clear the kitchen table please!

Cheers Alan

Edited by Shedman5
  • Like 19