The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Nice work on those tracks, Phil :) . Looking forward to seeing your layout evolve!

Wet and balmy over here, as Robert said – which but is certainly better than wet and cold. Quick trip to uni later on to hand in that essay and return several books.

Have a good day everyone!

• RMweb Gold

At least they would have a nice view (though it was raining when I was there) in the opposite direction.

Perhaps that was the photo that you originally meant to take but were holding the camera the wrong way round.

Morning all.

Thanks, Don.

Frost and sunshine here.

Zero oktas.

Tips on how to parcel up a 5' backboard complete with scenery and two wing boards appreciated.

Best (but economic) Carrier?

So far I've a large thick cardboard box which I'll have to extend with the use of Duct Tape.

I'd rather not knock off the detail if I can help it.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Sunny here now but it was cold enough in the night to leave a good covering of frost on the car.

Dd, your parcel may be too big for Parcelforce 48 which is fairly economical as 1.5 metre is the max length and " Maximum length and girth combined is 3.0m"

I couldn't remember who delivered some large items here but www.parcelmachine.co.uk would be be able to give an estimate that may be useful.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Purportedly it is Monday again. Another vacation day for me so I'm due to bash on with building some fiddleyard baseboards for Waton. That's after I've dealt with items on "the list".

Dd, beware the maximum dimensions specified by ParcelFarce can be irrelevant. I once printed off my pre-paid label from their website after carefully checking the dimensions only to find that my local Post Office wouldn't take it as it was too big to go through the hole in their security screen! Of course the dimensions of the hole through which the parcel was required to pass bore no relation to the maximum permitted parcel size. The fact that the hole was in a door did not change things. Though the staff opened the door to go to the loo etc. they would not open it to receive a parcel. Grrr.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I feel as if I need a cup of tea and a biscuit. I've been sorting out some financial paperwork this morning. it wasn't really paperwork but call centre work. It was fine once I'd got through to the appropriate people which was quite good as none of the companies trade under those names any more. I felt sorry for the call centre chap who said that the department he needed to contact had put him on hold!

Unfortunately dealing with another organisation's website was ridiculously over complex. They wanted answers to 5 "security" questions after the account number and password.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Having seen Jack's link it reminded me that the last huge "parcel" (about 6'6" x 2' x 2' but not very heavy) I had was delivered by Nightfreight. They seem to use lorries rather than vans.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all!

As promised I have finally got round to uploading some photos of my chair. While I'm here I have included some of the local wildlife! The pics were taken today on my way back from college.

As a rocking chair...

post-6776-0-65635500-1300107792_thumb.jpg

... and now as a chaise longue!

post-6776-0-12918900-1300107816_thumb.jpg

This one was doing a roadrunner impression at the time! Meep meep. laugh.gif

post-6776-0-24430900-1300107846_thumb.jpg

And a couple of swans making a hasty exit (can't blame them!)

post-6776-0-77708700-1300107898_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

My car insurance is due.

I know thisl by the mountain of junk mail that I have to climb over each day. Its height seems to increase exponentially as the date draws closer.

• RMweb Gold

My car insurance is due.

I can tell by the mountain of junk mail that I have to climb over each day. Its height seems to increase exponentially as the date draws closer.

Once I got past the magic age to qualify for Saga and other age type insurance companies I found I got even more "let us quote you" letters. At least they aren't offering a carriage clock for agreeing to a policy that will leave enough money for your "loved ones" to pay for the funeral.

If insurance companies can't use actuarial tables for setting rates by gender I wonder if age will be next.. Perhaps they will offer bigger no claims bonus.

The insurance on my previous car was due about now so I'm getting quite a few letters. I didn't stay with the same company for insurance when I bought the Freelander as they put in a really high group so that policy was cancelled a new one with another company taken out. The AA (Automobile Association for our overseas readers) sorted it all out.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Overcast and around 10° this morning, with the forecast predicting up to 18° for today – though the weekend is supposed to be a few degrees cooler. I guess I need to stock up on those antihistamines, too!

Have a good day all!

Morning All,

It seems to be quite a nice morning here. No rain, and broken cloud - looking out of my office window I can see a rather nice mackerel sky.

The news coming out of Japan this morning doesn't sound good. It makes me wonder what they are going to do now - how on earth will they stop the leak? I can't see them using liquidators like the Russians did. Very sad and shocking.

Anyway, I'm off to Karlsruhe this morning for a meeting.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I don't think it will be as warm here as Dominick expects it to be in Germany but it should be a quite pleasant Spring day.

Nothing too much planned for today.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

Grey but dry here today which at least is an improvement on yesterday. Off out to a workshop at a farm today on linking environment and farming. Not sure whether to go smart or jeans and wellies...

Designer wellies, perhaps some with flower patterns?