The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon, funny day weather wise here, can't make up it's mind. Just getting ready to visit my mother in Winchester hospital after yet another fall, poor old thing has a season ticket there at the moment. They can't make up their mind what to do with her, on her good days she is very capable and with it, on her bad days she isn't.

Been doing a bit more on Bodge City, grinding through the tedious (to me) trackmaking phase. The pics show the latest products, being 4 diamonds. They're not the best, but stock does run through them ok and they will mainly be buried anyway. Other pic is a bit of the track I've laid and wired just to have something move.

post-6683-0-66895700-1300018279_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-97622400-1300018328_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Good grief Phil, they look brilliant! cool.gif

Is it going to be mostly infilled then judging by the gaps between the sleepers?

I envy your ability to produce track, I'd love to learn one day. (Although not for a few years I don't think!)

What size is Bodge City?

Cheers Jam. The rest of the ties are going to be cosmetic ones made from cut down ebay wooden coffee stirrers - they are the same thickness as the copperclad and exactly twice the width. I've made a jig to split them, and hopefully they won't look too bad once they are covered with crud and vegetation.

The trainset is round three sides of a 9' x 8' bedroom and will be just another switching layout, an excuse to run my US sound equipped diesels really.

• RMweb Gold
I can imagine it is very tedious cutting individual strips though, even with a jig.

Can be, but at around a fiver for a thousand full size stirrers, which can, of course, be used for loads of other projects needing scale size wood, I'll take tedious.

After I've split them I use a paper guillotine (rescued from a skip) with a simple stop to cut them to length. Still got all my fingers too!

Good work Phil!

One of the unfortunate facts of US trackwork is that their turnouts/points invariably (I've never seen one like a typical British point ever) have hinged blades just like your cheapest r-t-l "model" point.

Like this one:post-9016-0-89262500-1300024728_thumb.jpg

Best, Pete.

PS I was NOT trespassing whilst taking this photo. All safety measures had been taken including a "lookout" for me

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Bright and sunny but chilly appears to be the order of the day this afternoon. Hopefully it won't get too cold overnight.

Late on parade today, due to the household maintenance type jobs catching up with me. Have found a small puddle in the downstairs cloakroom, and it seems to be coming from the drain to the basin, but I can't see where it's coming from, and it may be that the silicon seal round the plughole is compromised - and I don't have any more sealant in the garage - but as I also have drain and plumbing cover, if I can't do this quickly, I'll just get them in to have a look. Also had the lovely job of pulling the cooker out to clean behind it, and to investigate the source of a draught. Sealed up all the holes I could find with that horrible foam stuff, and spent longer cleaning up than I took to seal the holes.

Phil, the trackwork looks very interesting indeed.

Other than that, back to the grind tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

How do you glue/stick the various materials, Phil?

Various bits and bobs - for some of the plastics I use the pre-eco friendly cleaning stuff that plumbers use for cleaning plastic pipe before glueing (I found a full 500ml tin in a skip at work, our lads can only use the eco stuff now which is useless for sticking anything). This is pretty much the same chemical as the stuff sold as MekPak. For everything else I use the cheapest market superglue (99p for 10 tubes) which I find will stick most things to most things.

• RMweb Gold

So that, if ever you forgot where you went on holiday, you could post in on RMweb it a thread called "Mystery Location".

I suspect there may be people who would know!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Pity the poor s*d stencilling all the numbers on those things...

At least they would have a nice view (though it was raining when I was there) in the opposite direction.

post-6719-0-20251400-1300056925_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Monday has come around again.

Still generally clear weather but a nice cool 25C

My e-mail address is

donbradley@telkomsa.net

I haven't managed to change it in my profile here. RMWeb asks m for a e-mail password! Haven't a clue what they want!

Excellent trackwork Phil! :D

Morning, guys.

Literally but it's only 1:48 am here in Gotham.

Was nice yesterday to have the Sun come out at 6:00pm and then to remain light through to about 7:20pm (after a cloudy day). Our clocks went forward early Sunday morning.

It's an old one but a good one - anyone recognize anyone on here? http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com

Warning don't go there unless you have a couple of hours to spare..........

Later, Pete.