The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Not sure what combi boilers you've been using, but you will never get 2 bar out of a gravity tank unless it's a good couple of hundred feet in the air and with current "elf & safety" governing maximum working temperatures of boilers, a decent combi will definitely deliver that for as long as the taps open and you are paying for the gas/oil.

20 metres approx head for 2 bar but that is rather more height than most UK houses.

For houses like mine a high capacity combi would seem to be required and the ordinary (still condensing though)  open system seemed simpler. It works so I am very pleased. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JohnDMJ said:

Yeah, you will get (if the supply is up to the job) 2 bar out of one tap. Switch on a second tap (happens often if there's more than one of you in the house IMHO) and you get 1 bar out of each tap. 4 taps on, 0.5 bar per tap.

Never mind the 2 bar bit, with a properly plumbed tank system, each tap at each level (pressure = water density x gravity x head) you will get the same water pressure at each tap regardless.

It's basic physics!

Yes, you'll get the same dribble out of each, I am living with a tank fed system and indeed for a lot of my working life as a plant and facilities engineer I juggled with poor water supply and pressure problems. Each to their own and all that, but if you want a power shower you will need an electric pump or a combi to run it.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Our boiler replacement a couple of years arrived after we had our smart meters so we could quickly see that it was somewhat cheaper to run. It isn’t a combi boiler and is a tank fed “open” system. One shower is gravity fed, the other has a mixer pump. Both are fine. Apart from the poor energy rating another reason to change was parts were starting to become unavailable for the old boiler. It wasn’t a problem for us ever but we preferred to change when convenient rather than necessary. 

Tony

Best systems around today use a pressurised water tank (no header tank in the loft) and the system all runs at mains pressure which, generally, is around 2 Bar (29psi in old money). This ensures all taps run at teh same pressure and that your shower(s) delivers at a consistent temperature and flow. The old header tank systems often accumulated a range of detritus in their lives!

Work progresses on daughter and SiL's house. New kitchen lighting installed and tested (still used the same fire-rated downlight housings and general wiring so no need to get a Part P certification). One side of one gate stripped of varnish, sanded down and one coat of Osmo UV protection applied before a hint of rain stopped play. I expect it will take a further 2 days to complete the other three sides, as long as the body can withstand the efforts. Home-made prawn curry this evening, rather good even if I say so myself. Now to get ready for the local cribbage club (and a chance for a glass or two of Timothy Taylor Landlord).

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Yes, you'll get the same dribble out of each, I am living with a tank fed system and indeed for a lot of my working life as a plant and facilities engineer I juggled with poor water supply and pressure problems. Each to their own and all that, but if you want a power shower you will need an electric pump or a combi to run it.

I don't need a power shower. Just an ordinary one is sufficient (even if only off 3 metre head).

Besides, if two or more of your neighbours are drawing water at the same time, your 2 bar reduces even further, even though the pipes into each house are larger bore than the internal plumbing in an attempt to minimise this effect!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Now that I have the smart meter I'm beginning to see what uses the most power. Rather surprisingly the 'low energy' lights use quite a bit compared to the LED bulbs that I have replaced most of them with. Also the 35-year-old washing machine only uses about 45p worth of electricity for the entire wash cycle including rinse and spin dry.

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

The couple involved were searching for a new home in Dorset and one of the places they visited was Tolpuddle and the Martyrs Inn was mentioned. When the couple were asked about the Tolpuddle Martyrs they said they had never heard of them. The Boss and I were both somewhat gobsmacked as this particular couple were teachers! 

Is it me? Is there something wrong here or am I just an MOG* who expects too much from our educational professionals these days?

(Tol)Puzzled of Sutton.

*Miserable Old Git

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Not always the professionals fault. There has been much interference in the content of history  by politicians. I was fortunate enough to study British Economic and Social History (1700 to 1948) at O level.  This means I do know about Tolpuddle and other exciting stuff like the Corn Laws and the Taff Vale Case. 

Very few people seem to have heard of the Burston School Strike though.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

Best systems around today use a pressurised water tank (no header tank in the loft) and the system all runs at mains pressure which, generally, is around 2 Bar (29psi in old money). This ensures all taps run at teh same pressure and that your shower(s) delivers at a consistent temperature and flow. The old header tank systems often accumulated a range of detritus in their lives!

Yes, tank systems are prone to detritus.

However, the mains pressure of 2 bar, using no tanks, is spread around the neighbourhood so can vary dependant on external use. The use of larger bore pipes outside each house strives to minimise this but is not, at peak times, always effective.

Given a loft tank, correctly plumbed, including the heat exchange cylinder, two showers in the same bathroom could be operated at the same pressure simultaneously if the need arose. With direct mains pressure, this is impossible (as previously explained in earlier posts).

BTW, if you're in a hard water area, get a decent permutit style water softener. Works infinitely better than filters and will save you £s on calgon and the like for your washing machines. BTW, it's safe to drink too, and tastes a lot better. I have this one! If you have the choice, route the softened water to all washing machines, the boiler and all washing outlets. Route the hard water to the cisterns and garden tap. (I ain't wasting softened water to flush the loo!) I've used a permutit style water softener since 1967 in various forms with no problems.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6

Our multi-cooker would not respond to the helm. Lit-up and beeped when plugged in but no response from any of the buttons. MrsID was all for binning it.

I noticed the start/stop button was not clicking when pressed like the other buttons. Managed to get the control panel off and behold, the plastic plunger behind the touch panel was tweaked slightly and not aligning properly with the push-button switch on the PCB. I tweaked it back into position and saved myself $70 ;)

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

I grew up in a house where the hot water was fed from a tank in the attic and all the cold taps were at street pressure. Trying to have a shower was not a lot of fun.

BTW, it's not a bad idea to flush the WCs with softened water. It prevents minerals depositing a tide mark in the bowl. We've had softeners in a couple of houses and I like them. I was thinking about installing one here but I haven't quite got around to it yet. We've only had this place since 1995.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

In a couple of schools I taught in the tank detritus included dead pigeons. 

The hot water in the house of my yoof suddenly became a mere trickle. Guess who got the job of removing the sparrow from the tank's outflow.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Another day slid past, did a bit of the inside the greenhouse "G" word, tomatoes now sown, 5 different varieties including a new one I 've not tried before, just 3 of each to be grown on just in case we don't like them, though soups and sauces will hide the less pleasant ones I guess. Roof measured up and prices requested for delivery, just waiting on some more clement weather to begin the work, then the inside will need lining with some type of insulation, then finally the new DCC project might stutter into life.

Grandad duties in Perth tomorrow so an early start and a 50 mile drive before breakfast, will be interesting to hear a 4 years olds perspective on flying to Florida and what he thought of being jet lagged. 

Night all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Jamie, it looks like you had an interesting afternoon. 

We don't do politics, so I won't comment - and given Queensland politics, that's just as well. If anyone is interested, his Wikipedia page is here. He was instrumental (with two other independents) in helping form a government in 2010 after what might otherwise have been a hung parliament.

I am curious as to where that photograph was taken.

I had no idea about his politics. I had enjoyed people watching the dynamics within the group.  The cafe is in the Alice Street Botannical gardens at the top of the hill above the river. It's about 500 yards from the main entrance on Alice St . We loved the gardens and thought them well laid out.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s Sainsbury’s Grand Prix went fairly quickly, I left about 9:15 and I was back home, shopping put away and sat down with muggertea No2 before 10:30. Once the muggertea was finished, I got changed and made a start on getting all the bits, tools etc that I needed for the cellar lights. 

Sheila was out today, meeting up with some of her Zumba friends for a meal at dinner time. The pub is about 1/2 mile away and as it wasn’t raining, she didn’t want a lift deciding to walk there and back instead. 

So, with just me in the house, it seemed the ideal time for me to work on the distribution board and I was able to switch off the power, without being asked, “how long will it be off for? The end result was the successful split of the downstairs lights and cellar lights, they are now 2 separate circuits, the old cellar lights are still in place and are temporarily connected to the new supply. This now means that when I want to carry out the up and coming modifications, I don’t have isolate all the downstairs lights! Also there is now no wiring/trunking (apart from the temporary light feeds) that will be exposed when the new ceiling is finally put up. Once I’d finished, I made a start on putting the wiring in for the new lights but again, like the other day, I ran out of time. However, about 50% of the wiring for the lights in the small room is in. I doubt anymore work will be done now, until after the Easter festivities are over, but I’m very pleased with my progress so far. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Sir TH don't forget that the normal arrangement is for the fence on one side of your property to belong to you while the fence on the other side belongs to the neighbour on that side.  Maintaining your own fence and paying for a new one is one thging, paying for some other b*gger's fence is very different ball game.  Your deeds and or associated site plan will show which fence belongs to you - and for £2,000 it must be one heck of a fence:O

Packing, re-packing (none today actually, and checking packing are all complete - probably.  I see the plant watering instructions have been posted for the edification of the Good Doctor who will no doubt be lumbered with the task especially as the lad now seem to be getting himself into gear on the canvassing trail.

• Like 18