The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Barry O said:

went from Cairns by train to Karunda ..at that time an ex SAR NBL steamer worked up the hill. Then back via the Skyrail cable car..great place to visit.

And the aboriginal centre at the bottom end of the Skyrail is well worth a visit.

Not much of major interest to report this evening. Spent half the morning hammering enormous wooden stakes into the ground so that SWMBO can tie up the roses to them as the new fence that replaced the old one flattened in the gales doesn't lend itself to the job. Then after lunch had to get on with my chairman's report for Saturday's Midland Railway Society AGM as well as making sure I know in detail what is on the agenda. Some other niffnaff and trivia with banks, insurances and the like took up the rest of the daylight hours and here we are at Zebedee time.

Nighty night all. Sweet dreams.    

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Forgot half the post first time - a bit worrying really
  • Like 17

16 hours ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all,

JohnDMJ, we need to talk music.  Pyewackett?  This is culture!

Chris

ChrisF: IIRC, we have already talked about the electric hammer dulcimer used in their track "Dan and the Wombat"! (EHD makes an entrance at 1:13) When I've (eventually) unpacked from my moving house since 2012, I'll see what state the photos I have of them performing at Surrey University's Free Music Fest, around 1983, look like.

Otherwise, tonight has been an evening of reminiscing to Michel Delpech songs such as Pour un flirt, Wight is Wight, Que Marianne était jolie and Pyewackett's (from the 16th Century) The B De B / Borborygmi / The Bear Dance, etc.

Tomorrow brings a trek to Derby for the Swiss Railway Society AGM on Saturday. By (pure) coincidence, the Austrian Railway Society have their AGM at the hotel across the road on Saturday too! Will be interesting getting back as there is bus replacement between Derby & London so propose Derby - Reading - Guildford - Havant - Darkest West Sussex!

Good Night (other suitable salutations are available dependant on your respective locations on this, or any other, planet!) awl.

Edited by JohnDMJ
Spillong Measteki
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Tomorrow brings a trek to Derby for the Swiss Railway Society AGM on Saturday. By (pure) coincidence, the Austrian Railway Society have their AGM at the hotel across the road on Saturday too! 

And the Midland Railway Society AGM is on at the same time in the same hotel as the Swiss. Great minds?

Dave

• Like 10
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

There used to be a tourist railway at Port Douglas when we visited but didn't get chance to ride it due to being booked on the Quicksilver cat to the reef. Not sure if it is still there but maybe worth a look.

Didn’t do the steam-hauled tourist railway when we were in PD in 2014 but can recommend prawn boats at the quay as they sell massive bags of large specimens, ready cooked, for peanuts compared to what we pay here. When we did Low Island on the reef, we went by a sailing cat, very laid back!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A good late evening to all. 

Busy day with baby nephew in tow. We did a lap of Heathrow by red buses to satisfy his aircraft-need gene then enjoyed Fishermen’s Friends (the movie not the lozenges) tonight. Wondered if Chrisf has caught them on his musical travels. Apart from showing plenty of Port Isaac without a single Doc Martin in sight it’s based on an ongoing true story. 

Jamie’s thoughts on the usually-maligned Melbourne public transport system duly noted. I hope the trip north includes the train ride up to Kuranda. It’s an amazing (and of necessity very slow) trip. They still use the elderly 1720-class locos because nothing bigger can get round the corners, apparently. 

I’m overdue for bed so it’s goodnight from me. And it’s goodnight from him. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I managed to do most of the cable rerouting before Sheila came back, I only thing I didn’t manage was splitting the downstairs lights and cellar lights, so that will now have to wait until next week. I finally got power back on just before 12:00, why is there so little room in distribution boards? I’m convinced that the people who design these things have  NEVER had to work on them!

After dinner I decided to go to the tip and got rid of the 5 bags of rubble that I’d acquire removing the ceiling. I was going to leave this until next week, but the car goes in for a service on Monday and it will come back cleaned and valeted, so it would seem silly to put all those bags in it after only a couple of days. I was going to order my plasterboard etc this afternoon, but I think I’ll leave that now until after Easter, as I doubt I’ll get the outstanding work done before hand anyway.

Goodnight all 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, TheQ said:

Actually you're not taking a picture of a black hole because a black hole does not emit light. You're actually taking a picture of it's surroundings as they do emit light on their way to oblivion.

Visible to the human eyebold, yes (light is just one form of radiated energy). But according to the late and great Stephen Hawking black holes actually radiate energy. So much so that, in some cases, (for reasons that I cannot possibly understand) a black hole can lose so much energy (and therefore mass) that it evaporates and disappears completely.

Useful to know if one happens to show up in your vicinity. Personally I will attempt to whizz in its general direction before it gets me.

Edited by AndyID
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Met up with friend Dave to get back the slippers we left at his place on the layout tour. Google gave an odd address for the restaurant, but the GPS showed it where we thought it should be -- but it wasn't. Went to Google address which was just around the corner, then had to re-direct Dave. They'd moved 3 years ago.

Weather was all the varieties of precipitation that come about the freezing point; there was white stuff on the garden.

I had to replace a light bar in the bathroom this week as I couldn't screw a bulb into one of the sockets. The new bar occupied the same space but the screw holes in the mounting bracket were different and the bolts for the bar were different. Then the supplied mounting screws didn't work in the anchors -- screws were about #4 and they just slid in. But the #8 that had been there fitted perfectly.

To fill in time we visited the hobby shop in Kitchener. They have a big sign "Going out of business" with price reductions, but little stock that I actually need at the price asked.

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

And the Midland Railway Society AGM is on at the same time in the same hotel as the Swiss. Great minds?

Dave

Three AGMs, two hotels; sounds cosy!

See you there?

• Like 13

Good morning one and all

Thanks to Mike Stationmaster for his views on the Imperial in Exeter.  It’s tempting, but it is the furthest ‘Spoons from the city centre and it is a lot closer to the place where the procession ends than to the place where it assembles.  I will be based at the Travelodge by M5 Junction 30 for the weekend and will be reliant on buses to get me around.  The transport network map on the internet is less than coherent but I’ll see if I can make sense of it over the weekend.  Obviously I would rather have breakfast at a ‘Spoons than a motorway service area – who wouldn’t?

We seem to be blessed with culture lovers.  Not only is JohnDMJ an aficionado of Pyewackett but he has a better memory of past conversations than I do!  Now Rick shows the flag for Fisherman’s Friends.  As he speculates, I have seen them a couple of times, at Sidmouth, and have either two or three of their CDs.  One of their songs, not from the tradition, is a bit of an earworm – “No-Hopers, Jokers and Rogues”.   I suspect that they were induced to record it by their producer, who just happens to have written it.  Oldest trick in the book …

It is high time that I paid a return visit to the LGBT group.  A meeting is scheduled for this afternoon.  There will not be many there but the conversation can be interesting.  I wonder what they will say when I tell them that I will be walking in the procession at Pride in London?  Hate my guts, probably.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl , inner temple hare,

5.5 hours asleep followed by 1 more semi dozing on the sofa.

The New boy deputy boss left yesterday, although I may meet him tomorrow at the Norwich MRC show, before he departs for Kent.

By the detritus left on the carriageway this morning someone went for another wander over an NDR roundabout last night..

Grockels... go on holiday, take brain out, Effin Clown town was showing the beginings for this years intake, attempting to make the Darwin awards, wandering across the A road in front of the traffic.

I remembered to take the locals diversion route as did many others, lots of pulling up onto grass banks to get past each other, the actual road works seem complete except for road marking. Though they parked all the road scrapers and tarmac layers on their  Artics, either side of a zebra cross making for an interesting passing manouver this morning.

Work miracles..

The Boss was working on the chinese system results when I left last night ,

I put our similar system on it's cross check before I left.

Earlier I put another major system on it's cross check, 

And the fourth system was running it's last tests. so I'll put that on cross check shortly..

Time to..l.. wander down the lab and see if all the above has finished correctly..

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A spot of breakfast then off to collect an operator then deliver van driver to hire office. Collect van the off to load the layout up. Then....watch out M1, A42,M42,M5, M4 etc...cos we are on our way..

Have a great weekend everyone!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A dull start but some little bits of blue sky are making an appearance. A chilly day with some some sunny spells and the chance of one or two showers is forecast.

Today I will be mainly working in the shed moving stuff out and  dismantling my workbench. That shouldn't be too difficult (said he hopefully) as it is a fairly simple construction that i built myself.

Before that however I need to speak to my legal advisers as there is a slight hiccup in some the recent paperwork appertaining to my will.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning from another sunny one. Had to scrape the ice off the windscreen when dropping other half off at station. She is looking forward to 5pm tonight as she is off work for just over a week. Oddly so am I despite not working as such but I do look forward to her company each weekend and holiday. Its almost 10 months since I gave up work and commuting but not yet been bored and the weekends still feel like they did - just where has the time gone htough. I did think that by now I would be in my new shed but construction is still yet to commence although the ground is now cleared in readiness. really looking forward to getting it built now. it will be insulated all round with Moisture resistant Chipboard internal lining after seeing how a friends workshop as stood the test of time (around15 years) with chipboard lining and is far more sturdy then chipboard as you can just fix shelving straight to it. its also cheap and gives a good finish when painted.

I do have a few more freight cars to complete the weathering then after Easter I will be getting another 20 + to work on along with more decoder fitting for another person.

Back to today, I have LED's to fit in a Farish class 168 ready for a good test at the weekends show in Horsham.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Three AGMs, two hotels; sounds cosy!

See you there?

Seeing as I'm the MRS chairman I don't have much choice.......

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue. This morning I will be accompanied when I do the Trafford Centre visit, this morning Sheila is coming and we will pick up Ava and Evie, who will then spend the rest of the day with us. Later James and Amelia will be round for tea, Ava and Evie will still be here, so there will be 6 sat round the table tonight. So it will be an easy tea, sausage, chips and gravy, with a few veg thrown in too!

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Have to wait in today for the guy  who's coming to change the meters for smart meters, serious boredom expected, I think I will have to do some modelling. Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7