The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I must have slept through the bin wagons dawn chorus as when I looked out over an hour ago both the bags I put out last night were gone. Just this minute I heard a noise outside. It turned out to be the chap doing the signs for Barstewarts and Thieves not just removing the 'To Let' sign applicable to next door attached to my fence but about to attach a 'let by' sign. I told him he couldn't put the sign on my fence but I refrained from suggesting where he could put it. So B****t has been moved to Halloween, I'm now waiting for the daily newsletter from News Thump, a satirical newsletter well practiced in extracting the urine. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. . So B****t has been moved to Halloween, I'm now waiting for the daily newsletter from News Thump, a satirical newsletter well practiced in extracting the urine. Thats it for now, be back later.

Personnally I though November the 5th would have been a good date..

• Agree 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning, a bit of the "G" word in the greenhouse whilst waiting to perform taxi duties for SWMBO, then off out with my camera again, if the sun comes out I'm off hunting for Adders, if it stays dull I shall go looking for Peregrine Falcons instead. Have a nice dayyyyyy

Found some.. https://hawkandowltrust.org/web-cam-live/norwich-cathedral-side

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

' Afternoon all from red dragon land.

Sunny and not too cold, here - sheltered from the northerlies.

Bitter cold at West Shore, yesterday, but I did take a member's Polly 1 round one lap of the track with owner behind.  Good!

Roll on Easter public running... :locomotive:

Wind farms along the North Wales coast.  They stretch for miles and are best seen from the train when they catch the early morning sun  :sungum:

OR

they are hidden in the fog,  :blind:

depending on your viewpoint, of course.   :offtopic:

Recycling to sort out now for tomorrow's Waste collection, although last week's was not collected until Tuesday of this week which means three more days worth of  waste had to be kept aside or taken up the drive to the bins at the collection point - and not in particularly pleasant weather!  Still, at least it does get collected - eventually...

Best be getting on with it...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Now let me see the day started with the replacement grill pan handle (for the one herself broke) arriving through the letterbox whuch then led to me trying to fit it.  I found it went together somewhat better - well actually went together   if  I arranged the component parts in a different order (i.e the correct order) but it took me a while to work that out and teh screws ought really to have been replaced but the new handle came without said screws.  Some time later the grill pan was successfully tested and I manufactured and consumed 1.5 rounds of bacon sarnies for my ,lunch.

But in between those feats I paid a visit to Dracula''s daughter, and I offered a couple of extra samples to avoid them being taken after some time at ease at sea and the food and whatever consumption that goes with it - gotta try to keep the Type 2 number in a reasonable place.  Then we went shopping for a warm zip-up  jacket for me as my existing one is ageing a bit, then we went for a pedicure a which included a lovely foot and ankle massage for me as the Indian lady who usually does mine rather likes my feet (quiet at the back there), then home for aforementioned bacon sarnies.

Following which Trinity House rang about our upcoming voyage, whereby hangs a tale.  Originally we told we would be returning to  'an east coast port, but the joining instrucy tions received veryu recently altered that to Harwich.  Now being a regular follower of this concern's habits I last night sorted the return train time  from Harwich - but also from Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, Hull and Sunderland y to make sure i was covering all the bases - I thought.  This afternoon's 'phone call altered the disembarkation port to, wait for it, Blyth!  fortunately I kept the '[phone number of the taxi operator we used last year when we joined and disembarked there and there is my oppo in Newcastle who might fancy a day out if I speak nicely to him.  and of course having gone through this sort of amusement in the past iIm wondering whether to sort of the train time from Southampton, Penzance, and Liverpool?  However if it does turn out to be Blyth as planned (at the moment) it will mean we can cross off our East Coast gap between The Wash and Withernsea in the 'Big Boy's Book of English Coastlines I Have Travelled Past'.

Now a note for Chrisf - The Imperial in Exeter has a reasonable amount of parking space and is used by Wetherspoons for staff training and the boss man is a regular visitor - thus the standards tend to be pretty high and in my experience over quite a few years the service is good.  An OFs' group I belong to regular eat there at Christmas and threir organisation in serving as nearly simultaneously as the waiting staff can get through the door over 20 different meals order barely a half pint's worth of time previously is commendable in any eatery.

The Great Western, outside St Davids station used to do an excellent breakfast but it's quite a few years since stayed there regularly and I'm not sure if the serve non-residents.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Brownie points accumulating..

Lawns cut

Lawn edges strimmed

Post for new gate..met post in and set in concrete

The Boffle sweat shirts..found

And for me

Car insides hoovered and cleaned, car windows cleaner.

Now back to modelling..

Baz

• Like 18

Got up half an hour early today, logged on to work expecting a nice quiet day seeing as my one meeting had been postponed.

Then the emails began and now 7 hours later I have finally cleared up the requests so I can think about what I wanted to do this nice quiet day today.

Anyway I have the sound of the sea on the beach to keep me going, plus the odd train along Dawlish sea wall - not that I am in Dawlish, a few hundred miles north but thanks to technology I can be there.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

As in Boggle Hole?

Yes, when it all started 51 years ago they used the Youth Hostel at Boggle Hole..hence Bogglers.

Now they have children and grandchildren they all hire cottages ( some have even moved there!).

Baz

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Yes, when it all started 51 years ago they used the Youth Hostel at Boggle Hole..hence Bogglers.

Now they have children and grandchildren they all hire cottages ( some have even moved there!).

Baz

Visited there in 1992 taking a field trip. Found a superb ammonite on the beach. Put it in the rucksack and climbed upon to the car park at Boggle Hole. When we got home weighed it - 187 pounds. It is a foot and a half in diameter. Still have it waiting for it to go to a museum.

The climb was a bit of a struggle.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Visited there in 1992 taking a field trip. Found a superb ammonite on the beach. Put it in the rucksack and climbed upon to the car park at Boggle Hole. When we got home weighed it - 187 pounds. It is a foot and a half in diameter. Still have it waiting for it to go to a museum.

I found the inner end of an amonite there around 1960. It only weighed a few ounces. Not sure what happened to it.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a 'double points' voucher from Tess Coes so I done as much shopping as I could including for the weekend. The complimentary tickets for Railex arrived and are now tucked safely away. Got to go now, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

No Railex for me this year alas.  My somewhat slow at times mind finally tumbled to the fact that it is the same weekend as the RMweb visit to Didcot GWS (on the Saturday) and Fawley (on the Sunday).  As I do some of the 'explaining' at Didcot I obviously must not let people down that day and as the Good Doctor will be accompanying me particularly on the Fawley part on the Sunday I daren't let her down.  So it's no Railex this year - first time I'll have missed it for quite a few years.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Frazzled Fraggle - busy day at work.  Snot/cough index reduced to 5/10 with an incremental improvement in feelingwellfullness. At last. May it spread to others. in need of improvement.

Busy looking day tomorrow too, with 'honey-do' jobs not work.

Peel was full of Grockles today, there was a SLC ship in the bay (self loading cargo) so they were all walking up the middle of the road everywhere.  This is still a working port and a bustling little town, this seemed to come as a surprise to many of them, presumably they consider Peel to be some sort of working museum or something.  Or indeed the whole island!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

We've just booked a mini cruise on our usual floating gin palace. Only going for two nights in October but we're taking Nicki and the grandchildren to give them a taster as the kids have repeatedly wished they could try it.

We are booked on another cruise next year on an even bigger ship to celebrate out Golden Welding Anniversary. I'd love to go on a small vessel like Patricia but there is no way The Boss would come with me.......now there's a thought!  :whistle:

I'm aiming for the Fawley visit but will have to miss Didcot this year.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Very early good morning from OZ. Good evening and afternoon as appropriate. St Kida beach was visited by tram using a Myki card yesterday ( ta Baz).Then we started packing for moving on today. This led to the discovery that my camera battery charger hadn't been packed but it's lead had.  A bit of googling found an online supplier based in Fleemington in the north of the city. A phone call allowed me to pick the item up from the warehouse. The Myki card was used again,. The staff at the Palace of attendance pointed me to the right train and after a mile walk I found the place and got the charge. Then tram and train back to the hotel.  I was mightily impressed with the suburban railway system.

Now we are waiting for breakfast and a taxi to the airport for onward transport with Quantas to Cairns. Then a hire car for 3 says to head for Port Douglas and th barrier reef,

It's hard work skiing.

Jamie

There used to be a tourist railway at Port Douglas when we visited but didn't get chance to ride it due to being booked on the Quicksilver cat to the reef. Not sure if it is still there but maybe worth a look.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I have always wanted to find a fossil on the beach but have never had any luck. Still if I wait long enough I will be able to catch my reflection

• Like 4
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

went from Cairns by train to Karunda ..at that time an ex SAR NBL steamer worked up the hill. Then back via the Skyrail cable car..great place to visit.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I have always wanted to find a fossil on the beach but have never had any luck. Still if I wait long enough I will be able to catch my reflection

We were on a beach on the Jurassic Coast. I said to Matthew and Aditi that if someone turned that stone on the beach over on a TV programme it would miraculously reveal a fossil. So I did and guess what, quite a nice ammonite. 

• Like 15
  • Funny 1