The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Better not navigate too closely, I've heard that the sound can give one cancer. ;)

(Trying not to be too political.)

I was quite amazed at how much noise was generated when a windmill was working properly. This was when we were in the Netherlands at Kinderdijk. They had a restored one working that day. All the many windmills were eventually replaced by a single Archimedes Screw pump. Can’t remember what powered it though. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

We have received the info about our forthcoming trip on the briny - on current order of batting Week 1 has six passengers (including us) of whom 4 are female.  Just to restore the balance Week 2 has seven passengers (including us) of whom 5 are male, both the ladies have the same first name but we managed to get it right last year when they were aboard on the same week as us   One cabin vacant on each week at present but late bookings do happen so that could change.  We would seem to be going from Harwich to Harwich so i have a feeling that we might be spending several nights off Margate and will be generally around the outer Thames Estuary - which will be fresh territory for us.

Is anyone called Richard Montgomery?

Bill

• Funny 15

37 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Bill

28 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Wondering if the female passenger is called Caroline.  :D

There's bound to be some folk somewhere with those names, but whether they'll be on the same trip is another matter! :jester:

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Bill

There are buoys to maintain there so perhaps Mike will get a close up view. There are trips out from Southend to the wreck and a fort. I haven’t been. 

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

All

Just blown in, I've had a few rotating moments today so give up trying to sit here upright to type something this AM however modelling has been done an Oxford

6 wheeled toad was re-lettered and put back together well almost much the same tomorrow I'm not sure I'll be posting I'm going to have a lay as here kept me

awake last night it kept throwing the duvet over me I get hot and wake up it's as good as a 24 hr nightmare living with Her. :heat:

enjoy the next bit.:superman: Tota Lybolluexed :lazy:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a pleasant surprise this afternoon. Last year when we visited Railex at Stoke Mandeville I placed my vote for best layout and thought no more of it. Apparently there was also a raffle the prize being a pair of tickets for this years show, and I'm the lucky winner. I still have quite a few modelling tokens from the PPI payment so I can indulge.

Raffle?  That's what they told you.  In reality the traders clubbed together to buy you tickets.

• Like 8
  • Funny 11

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Many years ago when I was a Management Trainee I was given the enviable task one day of being the 'courier' on a mystery excursion from Cardiff - part of my passenger commercial training.  That took me to Margate for my first and only visit.  The courier was one of the very few people who knew in advance where the train was going as the job was charged with giving the passengers some brief information about the place just before arrival and telling them at what time the return train would be leaving plus trying to make sure they were all back aboard (not that we waited for them if they weren't).

The dangerous part of the job was dealing with the 'regulars' who were invariably ladies of a certain age and who seemed to be determined, almost as soon as the train left Cardiff, to find out where it was going,  and who gave the impression of being prepared to stop at nothing in order to find out.  It was reasonably safe walking past groups of them, not quite so safe to stop for too long talking to them, and distinctly dangerous (I had been warned) to sit down among them and engage in a conversation with them as they were not above setting to and groping any luckless male courier who couldn't evade their clutches.  Fortunately I arrived at Margate more or less unscathed and managed to get back to Cardiff one piece.

Unlike the servicing ships we never get too close to wind farms as the ship's only interest in them is any warning buoys, and many are removed once the farm is well established - we removed three that had been adjacent to one of the North Wales wind farms a couple of years back.  It would be interesting to see a whole wind farm actually generating some electricity as I think we've seen far more of the windmills not working than we have working.  It is quite good fun trying to get an end on pic of a line of them - the view below is from 2016 up on the west coast near barrow when we were on the way to the Ravenglass area.

203455768_IMGP0363copy.jpg.b0a7fb1eec22d33908016a0817274364.jpg

I've often wondered about these turbines; if there's a power surge, will Britain take off?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, grandadbob said:

The Boss has just informed me that we will not be buying hot cross buns this year as she is making them. If they're as good as the ones she made a couple of years ago Bobby will be a very happy Bun-ny!

What do you get when you pour boiling water down the rabbit hole?

Hot, cross bunnies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

What do you get when you pour boiling water down the rabbit hole?

Hot, cross bunnies.

Where oh where has that much requested groan button got to.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Thanks 1