The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The promised rain just stopped play rather heavily,  another Muggacoffee is to be consumed

Rain rain go away,

come back another day, 

When I'm at work... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Weather reasonable at the moment, rain later 'they' say.   Interesting to learn that a hotel basement at Roissy is ideally sited for train spotting - all sounds rather American watching trains in a basement, definitely not the French way of doing things I'd have thought.    The staff restaurant at Gare du Nord is far better sited as it overlooks the platform ends, the food is pretty good too ;)   The SNCB staff restaurant at Brussels Midi is no good for trainspotting but does have scale model instructional sets of valve gear mounted on the walls (or it used to).  There is an NS staff restaurant in the same building as the main signalling control centre at Amsterdam CS plus a goofers gallery overlooking the control centre main area itself - you can't see any trains from either the restaurant or the goofers gallery.

Hmm that's got me thinking - now what's for lunch today?  Ah sautéed mushrooms when I get round to doing them.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A grey and dull start to the day, but warmer than yesterday, which is something. As is normal for a Sunday, we’ve had breakfast in bed, we should use bowls really! Up now and muggertea No2 has just been made, once that’s gone, I’m off to the workshop for the rest of the day. 

Back later 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

A Rugby question for GDB. I have watched the Hong Kong sevens yesterday and today. Have the laws changed to say it is only the foot or feet on the side line to say a player is out??

Standard of refereeing and linesmanship out there was truly dreadful...might be why I don't watch that much rugby!

Had a good morning so far..bits mended/painted/ glued so after my lunch I will be back for round 2 of the "lets fix the broken bits" day..

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure that the player is out if any part of the line is touched by any part of the body. That applies to the ball as well.

With regard to refereeing standards I think that sometimes they make it up as they go along!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The early mist has cleared and it I suppose it is just overcast now.

When we have stayed in hotels with railway views we seem to get a room on the other side. Aditi usually says that her husband likes trains.  I suspect the receptionists feel sorry for her and give us the scenic view of the town/castle/lake instead!

I don’t plan to do much today, I don’t think Aditi does either  but plans could change. 

Tony

• Like 7
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Barry O said:

A Rugby question for GDB. I have watched the Hong Kong sevens yesterday and today. Have the laws changed to say it is only the foot or feet on the side line to say a player is out??

Standard of refereeing and linesmanship out there was truly dreadful...might be why I don't watch that much rugby!

Had a good morning so far..bits mended/painted/ glued so after my lunch I will be back for round 2 of the "lets fix the broken bits" day..

Baz

I don't watch sevens so I did not see the games in question and can't comment on the refereeing.

But yes, in rugby the line itself is in touch. So if the ball, or any part of a player carrying the ball, is touching the line, the ball is out of play.

This contrasts with a situation in one of yesterday's PL soccer games where the entire defence switched off thinking that the ball had gone out of play when it had not fully crossed the side line.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Ah, a shoppingwomble struck in Tesco.  With only 3 items I went to the 'less than 10' checkout (I know Tesco. - like GWR/NR - don't understand decent English so I'll waste no more time on that piece of ignorance).  The shoppingwomble clearly had a lot more than 10 items and not only that but the stupid woman just left them where they were after they'd been checked out.  After paying she then asked for the basket back in order to take the shopping to her taxi (for which I read 'take it home'); the bloke on the checkout gave her the basket - which is a lot more than I'd have done.

Busy shop today with queues at all the checkouts and you get a brain dead chancer like that taking advantage twice over. 

And Tony if you ever stop in Crewe (well you never know?) use The Crewe Arms as it's right next to the railway at the north end of the station.  They always used to have the habit of booking BR staff into the rooms next to the railway for some reason :lol:

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Plans did emerge. The compost bin (a mock beehive style) needed some attention. No skill was required just the ability to plunge a spade into the contents to move it down a bit so more could be added. Aditi had attacked it from below but gravity alone wasn’t enough to move it. 

It is so quiet round here today. No one is really noisy locally but I suppose some people have gone away now the school holidays have started.  

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I have been to Crewe. I went though and returned on a train in 1962 with my grandparents to visit Gran’s sister in Scotland. 

When I was at Keele University I did ride my motorbike over to Crewe but didn’t find anything. Probably my stupidity or poor signage. 

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  the rain stopped shortly after,  and I led the extension cable out the garage. 

Once ensconced,  the heavens opened for a couple of hours,  and brought a lot of wind.  This did not get rid of the mist and fog.  I could hear foghorns on ships going by. 

The framework for the bench was completed,  and all the ply shelf tops cut. 

Then it was time so be suited and booted. 

Respirator, white suit,  rubber gloves, Goggles .

I coated all the wood with anti woodworm treatment, professional grade stuff,  spiders and woodlice were falling around as I coated the bench.  The garage is now shut and I suspect creepy crawlies will be showering down as the excess evaporates. 

Tomorrow morning I may open up and screw the shelves down before heading to the docs for an eye test. 

Time to go have a long soak in the bath.. 

Oh there were two smilies on the icon bar earlier,  now it's back to one... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A successful muddling day. Heljan CoBo..fixed

Millhome Patriot ..regeared

Iron ore hoopers..repainted

Coach ..second coat of BR "Cream" added

our evening meal is cooking so all is good in the word for the moment...

Baz

• Like 16

Had a trundle to Abernyte to the antique centre for a wander that didn't involve getting our heads blown off, didn't buy anything as they never seem to have anything railway, though the muggercoffee in the café was acceptable. Did a dawdle round Sainsburys on the way back in Dundee as we don't have one in our neck of the woods(we don't do a gran prix as SWMBO has to check EVERY single item in the shop…….twice whilst I recline in the café again).

I did get a bottle of Ardbeg with £10 off which was nice, last bottle before my self imposed dry spell(I don't drink whisky when there's not an "R" in the month, though someone did say I'm not trying hard enough as if you look there's an "R" in most days of the month lol)

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Strange that Q mentioned woodlice. 

I mentioned to Aditi that there were lots of woodlice at the top of the compost heap.I then learnt a new word. Detritivore. Aditi explained the role of detritivores and why it was ok for them to be in the compost. I can’t imagine I am going to have many chances to use my new word knowledge.

Tony

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening sunshine promising warm days ahead but still a bit chilly at the moment.

Front garden looks like a scene from Watership Down - even with a youngster out and about for the first time (that I've seen).

Cats vaguely interested in rabbits but disappointingly not enforcing their ownership of the territory.

I fear for my vegetables this year...

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

It's noticeable since the loss of our rabbit hunter, twix the cat, the rabbit numbers have increased in the garden.  Ben the border collie chases them but doesn't catch them. 

I don't mind woodlice in the compost heap,  in the house or garage or railway shed I do object.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

A busy few days.

Golf Seniors Spring trip to Slaley Hall near Hexham.

Nearly didn't happen due to snow.......

Satnav showed 3 or 4 routes before we set off. We chose one - M6 northbound - that had "options" later in the journey. As we passed above Kendal, the snow began to fall and the route changed to the longest - but now the quickest - via Carlisle and the A69.

All good up to the last two miles as we climbed into the snowline........

We had to wait about an hour for the very wet snow cover to start to thaw and after a couple of holes, there was very little to be seen!

A good round was had......

Thursday morning breakfast was taken whilst watching the snow fall again! The forecast was optimistic and proved correct as it stopped and we ventured out about an hour later than planned.

Golf was going reasonably well until the 11th, when a badly played shot caused me pain in my right elbow. The rest of the round was spent nursing said joint and not playing well.

Thursday night was results announcement and I'd won the Frank Hargreaves Seniors Tour Memorial Cup for the Wednesday round (A very proud moment as Frank was my FIL).

I came second overall for the two days by one point. Looks like the injury did for the Spring Shield win. There's always next year. 

We have a "fun"  (but everybody still wants to win) competition Friday - I managed less than two holes having to come off the course as my elbow was not up to it. That was only the second time in 25 years of playing that I'd left the course part way through a round for anything other than weather abandoned reasons.

I was booked to play Saturday morning, but the elbow was still sore so a lie-in was preferred.

It seems that I have "Golfer's elbow" - this affects the inside of the elbow as opposed to the outside symptoms of tennis elbow.

Gentle massage, occasional ice and some non-golf time should do the trick.

The very good news though is that my back was perfectly OK after the injection 10 days ago and is holding up exceedingly well. I am now on a regime to reduce my daily painkiller dose. One of them is "only reduce dose by one tablet per week" - hoping I can be weaned off them over the next month!

As the weather was dry and cool, instead of golf, I made a start on the bi-annual garage tidy up. Major inroads into getting rid of some junk and general re-stacking of all the "necessary" stuff. I can now see the garage floor.

I even managed to set up a couple of ladders to reach above the conservatory to the dormer window to sort out a sagging gutter that runs over in heavy rainfall.

Having accomplished that without pain, I have to presume that the elbow isn't actually too bad!

I returned home to my much anticipated Accurascale Castle Cement PCAs - quite looking forward to weathering them, including graffiti, as they are a regular sight by my back door.

Lots of work sorting out some ebay listings of MR stuff that I've finally got round to doing - problem is, I'll probably buy more with the resulting funds.

Have a good week folks - I think I'll be busy for the first few days of it catching up after 5 days away from my desk.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a very good day at Brooklands and disposed of quite a few modelling tokens, a lot on books and ephemera, one item of interest was a District Line linear map. This is one of the long thin Beck style maps usually above the windows of Underground stock. Ordered for the 'D' stock as they were being replaced by 'S' stock, someone had blundered. I don't know if Rick made it but I bumped into a few familiar faces but none of them ER's. Thats it for now, be back later.

PS glad to hear from Debs, now in view of the above I will have to hide from the awl.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Debs. said:

:bye:Evenin` awl. 

Quick visit to offer our kindest wishes from my Mum and I. :friends:

Ey up Debs!  hope the awls are safely under lock and key......

Baz

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 4