The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. RMweb seems dreadfully slow again, it took 5 minutes to load some threads. I checked the sheet of ply that is being straightened, its straighter than it was but still needs a couple more weeks by the looks of it so it was just a case of dampening it to avoid splitting.

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I didn't play a lot of cricket, but on one occasion I decided you can't run far wearing one of those "boxes", so I didn't, I now know you can't run far without when you get hit "a mid ships" as it were. couldn't see where I was going for the tears!!

Could be worse, a wasp inside the box that wasn't noticed.:O

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

When a friend and I cycled the Yorkshire Dales Cycleway a bee managed to find its way into my mouth just after we had left Dent.  It stung my lip the little s0d.  Don't worry, I got my own back, I bit its head off.

Before anyone reports me to the RSPCI it was a totally involuntary action, I can assure you.

Edited by BoD
  • Friendly/supportive 18

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Tiger,  I do know of one person with an acetic acid allergy but , looking on the internet, it isn't common. 

There is a risk that allergies become more serious over time, so I suggest you ingest a small amount of vinegar (fish & chips?) with someone else present.  If you suffer an allergy, then it's a 999 call.  If no reaction, then maybe another pickled onion tomorrow.

Bill

Don't think it's an allergy, just had a lot of things I couldn't eat without discomfort when I had the gall stones, they said now they've gone I might still have things that might upset me, so it's trial and error just now. 

• Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

RMweb seems dreadfully slow again, it took 5 minutes to load some threads.

Yes it is slow. It had timed out and was inaccessible for me for some time today.

EDIT: Now that I type that, the performance does seem to be improving.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It was however a more pleasant than usual visit to the surgery though, practice nurse I hadn't seen before was a right eyeful, tall brunette with a great physique.  Now how can I arrange to see her again.....

Tell the receptionist that Sister xxx said you were to ask to see her if the condition has not subsided or worsened.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Shedman5 said:

Cricket ball pain? Try men's hockey if the ball didn't hit you on occasions then an opponents hockey stick would definitely do so!

Try women's hockey.  According to SWMBO it's far more physical than the men's game.   From my experience of taking her to A & E after matches I can agree. I dread to think what state her opponents were in, it was better not to ask.

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Tomtom just informed me that my ancient GPS unit won't know the correct time in a couple of days. The transmitted GPS week number field is about to rollover to zero. More info here.

I've had the same massage as our Tom Tom is rather old.  I'm going to have a look at the offers they are giving on a new one, the headline is 30% off.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Try women's hockey.  According to SWMBO it's far more physical than the men's game.   From my experience of taking her to A & E after matches I can agree. I dread to think what state her opponents were in, it was better not to ask.

Jamie

One of Aditi’s younger cousins played lacrosse at school. It sounded quite violent. 

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I've had the same massage as our Tom Tom is rather old.  I'm going to have a look at the offers they are giving on a new one, the headline is 30% off.

I can't get map updates on mine now which makes it downright dangerous. I loaded a free GPS app on my phone. It's called Navmii. Seems to work quite well and it Bluetooths to the car radio. If your Volvo doesn't have Bluetooth you can get a cheap adapter that connects into the auxiliary jack on your radio. I got one for MrsID's jeep recently and it seems to work quite well.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I see my last missive has survived the timing out. I'd just hit the submit button as the site conked out. Everything seems OK at the moment so fingers crossed.

49 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

TMI!

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

We have a TomTom but I haven’t used it recently. We bought it for use when we had hire cars. It has been used occasionally by Aditi in her Fiesta but she generally knows where she is going. My Evoque has a built in system. I must have missed the reminder from Tom Tom so thanks to those who posted about it , I checked but I just had to install an update for it to work on GPS reset day. Ours was purchased in 2013 as a worldwide model with lifetime Europe maps. 

Europe is updating now. 

Tony

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

20 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Bit longer one tonight

John, keep riding the tiger, one day after the other. You are at the 2/3 point. This too shall pass - eventually.

Your story of a fellow student discovering the works of Tolkien has a familiar ring. (My avatar should be a clue, even though it was treated roughly by the new software regime.)  I was still in school (perhaps 14) and had borrowed The Hobbit from a school mate on the last day of school. I was knocking on his door to borrow The Lord of the Rings (if I'm not mistaken, his was a single volume) the next morning. Sam was back in the Shire before the weekend was out.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I'm very glad that things are progressing John and very much admire your courage and perseverance.   I like the quote about the Zebra.   Beth is in a group that uses the phrase a lot.   For them it means living with a condition that isn't visible on the outside so that people think there is nothing wrong with them.  

The story about Tolkein rings bells with me.   It was all the rage when I was at Uni in 71/72 and at Poly the next year in 72.  For a time I had no idea what people were on about and just couldn't believe that a book was a good as people said.  Then a girlfriend lent me a combined volume of all three books.  I did sleep a bit for the next few nights but not a lot as I couldn't put it down when I got into it.  I still re read it every few years and get more out of it every time.   When I went on a trip to El Salvador, and we had been warned about homesickness in such a different culture, I decided to take a few familiar books with me and took what I thought were the three volumes of LOTR plus my favourite Nevil Shute (Ruined City).   It certainly helped except that I'd got two copies of The Return of the King by mistake and didn't have The Two Towers with me.

Jamie

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

My 80+ yr old aunt took me to a professional Lacrosse match in Vancouver many years ago.  The crowd cheered the more blood was spilt and no one ever got sent off for fighting.  I was told that it had originally been a ritualised form of warfare played by Indian tribes on the Great Lakes in winter and deaths were usual.   The sight and sound of my aunt and her equally old partner jumping up and down and screaming at the blood and injuries was not a pretty sight.

Jamie

Sounds much like the then WRAC at the last Regimental boxing match I attended.

i was not boxing......I might be Regi, but I'm not mental!

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, me and my big mouth! I was wrong about not expecting to see any school kids in the pool and from the numbers that started arriving just after 10:30, it seems that some of the local schools are on holiday. Judging from the ages of the kids, I suspect it is the local secondary schools that are on holiday. After they started to get in the pool, I persevered until just before 11:00 and then gave up at that point. However, despite the huge influx of kids, I still managed to get just under a 100 lengths in. 

This afternoon I had another look at the planned cable run for the office lights and I’ve declined red to change it slightly. This now means that I won’t have to remove the ceiling above the stairs, instead I just can clad it with new plasterboard.  This will save a lot of really dirty mess (brownie points earned there) and also a lot less rubble. I’ll still have to remove a small section for a light at the top of the stairs, but as there is plenty of head room, I can also now have it facing directly downwards, instead of facing you as you open the door, which is another bonus and on top of that, the actual cable run is slightly easier and shorter too!

I’ve never read LOTR, mind you, I’ve never been a great fiction reader, although I did read some fiction when I was a kid, mainly Biggles etc. However, a couple of my mates raved about it.

Goodnight all. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Tolkien lived in Leeds for a while. I had read the Hobbit then launched myself into LoTR..finished it in two days...

No sleep though!

Busy down at the Club tonight..and people were undertaking modelling tasks! One loco to weather tomorrow   then a few pictures to take of the finished product.

Loadsapaperwork to fill in for out house sale...some of which makes no sense..ie do you have any sheds or storage facilities in your garden?...err wot garden???

Night all!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Another Tolkien fan here. I'd heard about the LOTR trilogy from a girlfriend when I was doing my flying training and had mentioned to my Mum that it sounded interesting. The night before I was leaving to start on my first Squadron in Singapore in the autumn of 1968 she gave me a present of the set and I started reading The Fellowship of the Ring in the departure lounge at Brize Norton. By the time I reached Singapore the Fellowship was in the mines of Moria. Since then I must have read the whole thing six or seven times.

Reading about wasp stings reminds me of when SWMBO, two friends and I were in a taxi in Crete. I was in the front passenger seat with the window open and my arm resting on the opening when a wasp entered my immediate surroundings via my short shirt sleeve and finding itself in a confined space got quite angry. The taxi driver looked more than a little surprised as I started yelling all sorts of obscenities and frantically pulling my shirt off so he pulled over and stopped, whereupon the wasp, freeing itself from the confines of my shirt, started buzzing angrily about the taxi. After a minute or so of mayhem it departed whence it had come leaving me with six stings and a torn shirt with which to face the rest of the day. And the amount of sympathy I got? 

On that note, night night each.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

50 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The story about Tolkein rings bells with me.   It was all the rage when I was at Uni in 71/72 and at Poly the next year in 72.  For a time I had no idea what people were on about and just couldn't believe that a book was a good as people said.  Then a girlfriend lent me a combined volume of all three books.  I did sleep a bit for the next few nights but not a lot as I couldn't put it down when I got into it.  I still re read it every few years and get more out of it every time.   When I went on a trip to El Salvador, and we had been warned about homesickness in such a different culture, I decided to take a few familiar books with me and took what I thought were the three volumes of LOTR plus my favourite Nevil Shute (Ruined City).   It certainly helped except that I'd got two copies of The Return of the King by mistake and didn't have The Two Towers with me.

I too reread the books (The Hobbit through The Silmarillion) every few years. (I have to say that the tedious final Hobbit movie put a dent in my enthusiasm but I will return to the books in time.)  One of these days I'll try to find a nicer reprinting of the edited manuscripts published by Christopher Tolkien. The publishers keep cranking out longer chapters of The Silmarillion as new editions which confuses me no end.  

• Like 12
  • Agree 1