The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Lurgy V2.0.  I spoke to the practice nurse this morning, booked an appointment to see her tomorrow, but said I was feeling a bit better, and the sore throat had gone.  Two hours later had a coughing fit and have wrecked my throat again.  Mrs NHN now has it too.  Major doghouse moment.

No gold for me. I get a free BRM anyway as an advertiser, and I'm not into two tier things either. As others have mentioned, getting the forum to run properly would be a better target for now.  Bit disappointed with AYMod's post above too, I normally agree with his assessments but that one is out of order.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I wasn’t being critical of the Gold thingy. I have been a BRM print edition subscriber for some years. I have been clearing out a lot of back issues and was wondering about converting to an electronic version. So it seems like a good idea. As I said I need to read it again. I have tended to be a purchaser of items from classified in the past rather than a seller so things like that and digital image storage don’t bother me. I will read it again. I am sure that the publishers of the print edition have factored in people who may consider removing their print subscription and access stuff via RMWeb Gold.

I won’t get into discussions about elitism. Aditi once got denounced in the college staffroom for being horribly elitist as she said she didn’t watch Eastenders or Coronation St, so I am not sure how it is meant to apply to a forum.

Monetarising (is that a word) the classified ads hasn’t really worked well before so perhaps adding it as a perk to Gold members (sounds a bit EA-ish) might might help it to function. 

Tony

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s Sainsbury’s Grand Prix went without a hitch. Once home and the shopping had been put away I  made the base for tomorrow nights cheesecake, which nicely brought along dinner time. After dinner I finished making the cheesecake filling, I’ll put the topping on tomorrow afternoon. 

Once all that was done, I decided to measure up with a little more accuracy, how much cable I would need for for the cellar lights. Considering that there are only 2 rooms, one 14 x 12, the other 6 x 12, I need a total of just under 40m of the stuff and that doesn’t include the 3 core linking cable between each rooms 2-way switches! Mind you, the lighting plan has 6 fittings in the small room and 14 in the large and it does an awful lot of zig-zagging around the rooms. As for the sockets, I’ll get away with about less than 25m, as most of it is already in place, so I’ll pick this lot when it’s nearer the time to fit it all.

I’ve not yet looked into the ‘Gold’ yet, so I’ll not comment on it until I have. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Bob B mentions jury service ... it passed me by although it would not have worried me.  Then at last an invitation - to find that I was unable to accept as it appears I was beyond the age of reasoning!

While I can see 'benefits' for 'rental', certainly in the need to keep thing going absolutely I hate recurring expenses, especially when they are so high hence I am delaying '365' and its absolutely huge memory demands for as long as I can but of course there are many things that we cannot avoid in terms of regular payments ... 

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling correction
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, the Gold thing seems to have stirred up some controversy but I say nowt because that might only keep such things rolling a long.  As I see the thing it is very simple - you pay a subscription and you get something extra for it.  Plus, odd tho' this might sound to some, it may also help to secure the future of RMweb which we have been getting for nothing since Warners took it on.  Very easy to forget that before Warners stepped in RMweb only kept going because Andy devoted a heck of a lot of time to it and some members made contributions towards its running costs to help keep it afloat.  The point about a didite al subscription to E BRM is an interesting one if that is how it works out as that would save me a lot of shelf space.

Anyway back to more mundane matters and the G just got wet so was ignored, pasties for lunch - even better when warmed up!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I have been told I should go to sleep,as we are going to see a bank chap tomorrow. They now seem satisfied we haven’t got our money  by dubious financial transactions. Actually I think the reason for having sleep suggested is so that I volunteer to put the bin bag out in the morning. It is the non recyclable waste but wildlife and cats still investigate the black sacks so they are better put out at 7am. 

Also tomorrow is the earliest date that we might here about whether our new garage door is arriving. 

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all ! ( well very early morning for me.)

Cricket umpired. Managed to get in the way of a ball deflected by the stumps..does it hurt? Oh yes it does!

Paper stripping is proceeding. The plasterer has worked hard..some of the large cracks in the ceiling may take a bit more work to fix..hey ho!

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 18

Morning All,

It is a rather damp morning in this part of the world. 

It looks like it is going to be a fairly busy day, so I guess it's time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner temple Hare.

6 hours sleep broken into 3 pieces, I could quite happily stay for more...

RMWEB Gold. I must admit it looked like a APR 1st joke to me when it appeared. I dropped BRM some time ago when I had a purge of the many magazines I was getting, I did try the digital version but did not like the experience, give me paper anytime.. So as I also don't normally get enganged into Version 1.0 of anything.. I will leave it for a while and see how others see it..

Not that I could see anything last night, I got home to fine an orange light on the router, after various tests the router said to dial 0800XXXXXXXX which I did and the after various keyboard presses it said there was a major broadband failure in teh area. it would be back in 2 hours, 7 hours later no internet still. bed time. There was internet this monring though if somewhat flake dropping out regularly..

Crunchy this morning, I had to start the car before Bens patrol and it was still frosted up when I came back so required some scrapeing of the by now soft ice.

Also fatchy pog or should I say cow lloud, on the way in with more signs of futher road works with cats eye being removed en-route. Only two tractors today though..

I've still got the chinese system, the boss wanted a series of repeated tests done, which were, a result was averaged, and put into the correction files then the final test was run over night. I have to go analyse the results shortly.

Meanwhile I've started one of our own similar systems, I't not due till next week but if I hadn't started I had 9 days work to do in four days..

Four day, yes it's the somewhat late annual Diabetic make me blind day on Monday. Appointment time 11:35, So I have to take the whole day off, they stick drops in your eyes so the afternoon is a wipe out of bright lights..

Time I wandered down the other end for some analysing..

PS analysing...err not good.... one for the Boss I think..

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning to most! (Other times of day are in use elsewhere in ER land).

Crust eto do, her indoors is off to see relatives in Cleethorwhere she is hoping to consume skate wing and chips for lunch.

Our plasterer should return to remove more paper from bedroom walls. Pleasant man, he just gets on with it.

I do have a bump and bruise from getting in the way of the ball last night. Pah! Not sure how much longer I will umpire..too much petty politics involved.

Thoughts are with all who ail and those ERs who are missing.

Have a great day!

Baz

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather cloudy and slightly damp Charente.   It has obviously rained in the night which will have helped the newly planted fig tree.   Eric the Grass said that the farmers are complaining that the past 3 weeks of very dry weather haven't helped potential crop yields.  He comes from one of the 3 old farming families in the village but all their land is now rented out to contractors.  This leaves Eric with plenty of time to spend the winter out with the hunt and the summer in the local bar when he doesn't cut out grass or help his father tend his garden. The planting of the last two major crops, sunflowers and maize, is now underway and the early crops seem to be coming on OK.   I thought that an agricultural report that mentions two golden crops might help distract the thread from the attentions of our leader.

Anyway in about 20 minutes I'm off out to do various things, pick up a letter at the GP, call at the swimming pool supply co for some chemicals and then a DIY shed for electrical gear for the re-wiring of the shed.   Then as I will be near Angouleme railway station it would be very rude not to liner for a few hours watching for whatever rolls by.   My model railway mate who also shares my trainspotting interest is going to come with me.   A good day is in prospect.

Best wishes to all who are in need of them.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Morning all from a rather cloudy and slightly damp Charente.   It has obviously rained in the night which will have helped the newly planted fig tree.   Eric the Grass said that the farmers are complaining that the past 3 weeks of very dry weather haven't helped potential crop yields.  He comes from one of the 3 old farming families in the village but all their land is now rented out to contractors.  This leaves Eric with plenty of time to spend the winter out with the hunt and the summer in the local bar when he doesn't cut out grass or help his father tend his garden. The planting of the last two major crops, sunflowers and maize, is now underway and the early crops seem to be coming on OK.   I thought that an agricultural report that mentions two golden crops might help distract the thread from the attentions of our leader.

Anyway in about 20 minutes I'm off out to do various things, pick up a letter at the GP, call at the swimming pool supply co for some chemicals and then a DIY shed for electrical gear for the re-wiring of the shed.   Then as I will be near Angouleme railway station it would be very rude not to liner for a few hours watching for whatever rolls by.   My model railway mate who also shares my trainspotting interest is going to come with me.   A good day is in prospect.

Best wishes to all who are in need of them.

Regards to all.

Jamie

I would have settled for cloudy this morning rather than the -3 frost. Hopefully, vines not far enough advanced to be damaged.

Winter has not seemed that dry here. But water flow into brother-in-law's pond less than 50% of what one would expect at this time of year.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It was frosty earlier. I know this because one of my neighbours was scraping his car at 5.00am. Sunshine at the moment but wet stuff forecast later with the chance of thundery showers and hail.

First task today I believe is to visit Sainsbury's as supplies are running low.

After that I have a mound of paper to plough through. We have had new wills drawn up and I need to check them over.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Good Morning to most! (Other times of day are in use elsewhere in ER land).

Crust eto do, her indoors is off to see relatives in Cleethorwhere she is hoping to consume skate wing and chips for lunch.

Our plasterer should return to remove more paper from bedroom walls. Pleasant man, he just gets on with it.

I do have a bump and bruise from getting in the way of the ball last night. Pah! Not sure how much longer I will umpire..too much petty politics involved.

Thoughts are with all who ail and those ERs who are missing.

Have a great day!

Baz

Baz,

Never a wicket keeper, then?  I collected a fair number of knocks, and smashed glasses when standing up to a fast bowler and the ball ricocheted off the bails.  Walked off with departing batter, wiped off blood, put on spare glasses and walked on with new batter.

Bill

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Baz,

Never a wicket keeper, then?  I collected a fair number of knocks, and smashed glasses when standing up to a fast bowler and the ball ricocheted off the bails.  Walked off with departing batter, wiped off blood, put on spare glasses and walked on with new batter.

Bill

At least as wicketkeeper you get pads. Worst bruise I ever got was fielding at slip on a ground with very poor visibility. Ball from edge of bat did not carry but I did not get hands to it due to spin and it hit my shin.

Last time I kept wicket (after about 30 year interval), I broke my finger. Replacement keeper not impressed to find glove filled with blood.

Ground sadly no longer in existence. A Waitrose there now.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a little cloudy here in the northwest this morning and looks like it could chuckinitdarn any minute. It’s back to normality this week and shortly I’ll be setting off to the swimming pool for my weekly swim. Hopefully there’ll be no school children there and I can get a few lengths under my trunks.

This afternoon we have Ava, Evie and Max coming round for tea, which is pizza, so that’s a real easy meal to sort out, followed by the cheesecake I made yesterday. Last week Max fell asleep whilst watching the film chosen by Evie. Apparently he’d had games earlier in the day and despite his asthma, he’s very competitive and gives 110% so was absolutely shattered. 

Back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

31 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I collected a fair number of knocks, and smashed glasses when standing up to a fast bowler and the ball ricocheted off the bails.  Walked off with departing batter, wiped off blood, put on spare glasses and walked on with new batter.

6 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Worst bruise I ever got was fielding at slip on a ground with very poor visibility. Ball from edge of bat did not carry but I did not get hands to it due to spin and it hit my shin.

Last time I kept wicket (after about 30 year interval), I broke my finger. Replacement keeper not impressed to find glove filled with blood.

And to think I once considered flying fast jets and playing rugby was a dangerous way of life.......

Morning everyone. Today SWMBO is out at a reunion with old nurse training colleagues so once the list (short, admittedly) of chores is fulfilled I get to spend some quality shed time. And it's sunny, albeit chilly. All in all the promise of a good day, which I hope all of you have too - thoughts and prayers for those who can't though.

Dave

• Like 14
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1