The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, lightengine said:

It wasn't an error by the flight crew.  The flight plan had been given to traffic controllers for Edinburgh.  

The error was that nobody thought to tell the paying public.

If it had been Ryan Air they would have charged the passengers extra.

• Agree 8
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

but Russian TV was. When they reported the incident, they showed a map of the south of Spain.

Maybe it wasn't accidental....

If the invasion had happened a few days later my brother would have been there. The company he worked for had a contract to install communications equipment at the airport. It was cancelled. 

• Informative/Useful 10

HUMP day, good morning all.

The client "let's all panic.." hasn't abated, instead it's getting worse. Looks like we'll be re-creating about 10% (or possibly MUCH more!) of the stuff I've built for them as they decide to completely upend the structures they've been happy with for the past 3+ years <sigh> <yawn>. At least it keeps me paid/occupied/out of trouble I guess! :jester:

On the "wayward flight", I had a brief discussion with Jemma (those new to ERs /unfamiliar, she's my daughter and a captain over here with Delta Connection), and she's totally amazed that it occurred.

Her comments included the fact that she has to coordinate with gate/ground staff, cabin crew as well as (obviously) her first officer, and they ALL have a schedule they are supposed to know - so they usually know where they are going :jester:!

Together with that and the normal announcements (over here anyway) both by flight crew regarding the flight # and destination, usually including en route weather and destination weather (which would be some sort of clue, wouldn't it?!?!?!) and also the cabin crew providing the same information, she said it'd be almost unbelievable that it would happen "here" (not to say maybe it hasn't??).

At least for the Delta world, flight plans/load sheet are also printed at the gate for the flight crew before they board and checked/confirmed even "if" they are supposedly already in the flight computers.

Given it wasn't operated by BA, rather contracted out, the contracted company (WDL Aviation) may need to review their training procedures??? :O YA THINK!

Far as cabin crew checking the boarding passes - I've not flown in the UK/Europe for ages so can't comment - BUT, here in the US cabin crew rarely ask/check if you're on the right plane simply because the gate agent has already scanned your boarding pass and short of rushing the gate (not advised :) ) it's nigh on impossible to get on the wrong plane. They will welcome you and ask/help if you are unsure of what seat you're in, but that's about it.

Major issue here this morning on the commute in... some strange bright object in the eastern sky had almost the entire driving public in apoplexy - "what IS IT, I CAN'T SEE!!!!!!"

Apparently almost none of the drivers own sun glasses and it seems none of the cars, except my rental apparently, are equipped with sun visors, must be another of those optional extras, like turn signals on an Audi/BWM :)

-1 and VERY SUNNY on the crawl in, expecting 8 for a high.

Carry on.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Tesco visit completed and it really was 'just a few things' - she got 5 items off the shelves and I got three items (including the newspaper and 'Radio Times' in my case).  But on arrival home it was discovered that 'someone' had got the wrong kind of pasta, it's gone into a kitchen cupboard despite being 'wrong'.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Yippee! Decoder fitted and it works. Probably the easiest and quickest fit I've ever done notwithstanding the 8 screws that need removing and replacing.

Just had a bit of lunch so I  might now go back upstairs and play with it some more.  (The Deltic before anybody comes up with the usual sort of comment!) :wink_mini:

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

44 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Tesco visit completed and it really was 'just a few things' - she got 5 items off the shelves and I got three items (including the newspaper and 'Radio Times' in my case).  But on arrival home it was discovered that 'someone' had got the wrong kind of pasta, it's gone into a kitchen cupboard despite being 'wrong'.

How can pasta be wrong - it's pasta

There are shapes yes, but it doesn't impact flavour, or was it the wrong colour?

I remember when you used to have to buy the Radio and TV times, now I just click on the guide to see there it little of interest on the TV - Netflix and iPlayer pretty much give me enough.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Yippee, originally the Chinese system had an error of 192 ppm, and we are looking for at 0ppm or at least less than 10ppm. After work on it previously we got it down to 48ppm, today after taking a plug in unit off, taking off and cleaning 4 nuts and washer which had flux on them from a PCB they are attached to. we have acheived......1ppm.

Now all I have to do is re-run 6 hours of programme that used that plug in unit.. problem at the moment ... it want to carry one from my previous tests not back at the begining..

It's noisy again, they are banging around in the boiler room next door, meanwhile the AC man has been in for the final survay before fitting the new AC next door.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

How can pasta be wrong - it's pasta

There are shapes yes, but it doesn't impact flavour, or was it the wrong colour?

I remember when you used to have to buy the Radio and TV times, now I just click on the guide to see there it little of interest on the TV - Netflix and iPlayer pretty much give me enough.

whole wheat pasta,

refined wheat pasta,

rice pasta,

Spelt wheat pasta,

There are more, all with different flavours.  thats without going into "flavoured" pastas

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, TheQ said:whole wheat pasta,

refined wheat pasta,

rice pasta,

Spelt wheat pasta,

There are more, all with different flavours.  thats without going into "flavoured" pastas

Some pasta shape variations seem better with certain sauces. A “bolognese” type sauce served with tagliatelle seems nicer to me than with ordinary spaghetti, the sauce sticks to the pasta. If an Italian recipe suggests a specific pasta I would use it . 

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

45 minutes ago, TheQ said:

whole wheat pasta,

refined wheat pasta,

rice pasta,

Spelt wheat pasta,

16 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Some pasta shape variations seem better with certain sauces. A “bolognese” type sauce served with tagliatelle seems nicer to me than with ordinary spaghetti, the sauce sticks to the pasta. If an Italian recipe suggests a specific pasta I would use it . 

Well I like spirals with everything :)

The wife has gluten free alternatives

Next you'll be telling me that bolognese isn't the only sauce.

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Reverting to the subject of believing everything you read in the papers, I’ve just seen a little-reported sidelight on the current story about “NASA only having Large size spacesuits”. 

It seems that the other woman had made an EVA a day or two earlier, using a Large size suit she had previously been fitted for. Following that exercise, and based on things you only find out by actually using equipment in its design environment, it was decided not to repeat the EVA. There WAS a second Medium suit, but it wasn’t mission-ready, so someone else went instead. 

So it would seem that NASA/ISS simply acted in accord with established procedure, the task was achieved by personnel and resources available and generally, no lasting harm resulted... but it doesn’t make such a good story, does it? 

• Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

While the wind is cool the sun has been glorious. Had a pint of local beer with lunch stinky bay ipa..unfiltered and unpasteurised.  Very drinkable.

Now catching up with a bit of eyelid inspection.

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When I went to the States on a fly-drive I didn't have too much trouble driving on the right, probably because I had done a lot of driving on the continent. One incident sticks out though, when leaving a gas (petrol) station I looked to my right instead of my left, fortunately a horn blast from a vehicle approaching drew my attention and there was no accident. I was on my own, it does help to have another driver in the passenger seat.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Reverting to the subject of believing everything you read in the papers, I’ve just seen a little-reported sidelight on the current story about “NASA only having Large size spacesuits”. 

It seems that the other woman had made an EVA a day or two earlier, using a Large size suit she had previously been fitted for. Following that exercise, and based on things you only find out by actually using equipment in its design environment, it was decided not to repeat the EVA. There WAS a second Medium suit, but it wasn’t mission-ready, so someone else went instead. 

So it would seem that NASA/ISS simply acted in accord with established procedure, the task was achieved by personnel and resources available and generally, no lasting harm resulted... but it doesn’t make such a good story, does it? 

So there was nothing in the rumour that the colour didn't match her handbag, the pattern didn't match up, the fabric was too hot for the Spring and she thought her bum looked a bit big in it?

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, just got back from a quite good presentation on French Income Tax at a local Ladies group that Beth attends, Partners became honorary ladies for the day.  This morning the tyre got fitted and I got the Volvo's tyres checked.   4 new ones needed, That's a big hole in the monthly withdrawal limit on the bank card (That's a French thing) so I'll probably pay by cheque next Tuesday.   I then refitted Beth's wheel and even managed to re-attach the Get U home wheel securely under the boot.   Using an instruction book in French plus pictograms is a wonderful experience.   

As to driving an automatic for the first time, our Police Instructor, who too us out in a Triumph 2.5 PI, told us all to tuck our left legs back against the seat till we got used to it, to avoid any possibility of hitting the brake with the clutch foot.  Apparently his false teeth didn't like hitting the edge of the dashboard. The advice worked.  

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

As to driving an automatic for the first time, our Police Instructor, who too us out in a Triumph 2.5 PI, told us all to tuck our left legs back against the seat till we got used to it, to avoid any possibility of hitting the brake with the clutch foot.  Apparently his false teeth didn't like hitting the edge of the dashboard. The advice worked.  

Exactly what I was told many years ago when I first drove an auto. Glad The Boss doesn't drive as she often mixes up left and right!

On driving on the wrong side of the road back in the late Sixties my best friend at the time lived near Gatwick airport. Late one evening he was returning home and encountered a foreign gentleman coming round a blind bend at speed on the wrong side and they had a head on. Both he and his young sister were hospitalised and sadly she suffered life changing injuries. It's one of the reasons I've always avoided driving abroad.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning all,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJc-J7edks

I'm interested to learn that Mr Black Rat also pursued his trade locally with the Thames Valley bunch as the art of driving along the dotted line is regularly practiced in our neck of the woods.  Most worrying are the g folk who like to maych it to their vehicle centre line - very neat but somewhat unnerving when they're coming towards you.

Have a good day one and all

I was driving a HGV down a lane and some feckwit came the other way in the middle of the road I moved over and was on my side and stopped just inside the white lines Feckwit got his car written

off I could not get over anymore or I would have ended up in a ditch when I got out and checked he was OK as he had lost the entire o/s of his car the wings and doors got ripped clean off

I said what's your game I was on my side of the road he pipped up I thought you could have done the decent thing and moved over then he said why are you laughing at me I showed him the ditch

and it dawned on him he could have been killed, he got nicked for undue care which suited me I thought he would have been killed in that  tin box Triumph Herald which could have been his coffin. 

Well the Stir Fried duck breast were well received by SWMBO tonight I needed the brownie points as a visit to the toy shop for another set of 4 coaches is overdue. 

Our new sofa's will be arriving Saturday the old one's are being collected by my youngest daughter for her flat which the landlord has agreed a affordable price for her and SiL to buy other Items of

furniture have been collected by her big sister.

enjoy :superman: R.E.Moovers :biggrin_mini2: 

• Like 18