The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Much the same round here and in Somerset. Could there be local elections soon?

More like - we have some money left why don't we spend it making roads look good (even if the work quality viz potholes, is c**) and do the same thing next year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

What with the flooded rental property to sort out, ...

Ian, were your tenants forced out? Is the damage bad and do you have flood insurance? Flooding is a very unhappy situation.

Hopefully the lake house is OK.

While it is very remote from me, this year's big Spring thaw has been pretty bad in the great plains and around the Midwestern rivers in the aftermath of the blizzard a couple of weeks ago.

EDIT: 

Flooding on the Red River in Minnesota seems to be an annual thing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

46 minutes ago, AndyID said:

A few people have ended up in Sidney Nova Scotia rather than Nova South Wales but that's a bit different from the BA fubar.

There's the very publicized case of the Granada / Grenada confusion from a few years ago as well. In that case it was the booking agent and the passenger who were confused. The airline (which was BA) did their flight operations part correctly though the passenger would testify their bookings procedure was deeply flawed.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There's the very publicized case of the Granada / Grenada confusion from a few years ago as well. In that case it was the booking agent and the passenger who were confused. The airline (which was BA) did their flight operations part correctly though the passenger would testify their bookings procedure was deeply flawed.

Just as well Ronald Reagan wasn't so confused.:jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 11

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

The world is cut off from North Norfolk, by road works..

3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Much the same round here and in Somerset. Could there be local elections soon?

Around here, that's called "blacktop politics" and, as you say, it's common in the runup to elections.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

You might suggest he puts a big left pointing arrow on the dashboard while he's in the UK. It's quite easy to get confused, particularly when there isn't other traffic. (Don't ask me how I know.)

I have returned from the test drive and have warned both Andre and his wife Jaqueline, that they need to take extra care when exiting places like car parks and petrol stations where there are no road signs.  I have also suggested that he tilts his nearside wing mirror down slightly to help judge the distance from the edge of the tarmac.   When I mentioned that he was near the middle of the road he nearly ended up on the verge.  He did leave a bottle of nice white wine as a thank you.   I have also suggested that for at least one evening meal they visit a chippy and eat fish and chips out of the paper outside with their fingers.  This was obviously a very strange idea.

56 minutes ago, AndyID said:

A few people have ended up in Sidney Nova Scotia rather than Nova South Wales but that's a bit different from the BA fubar.

When my brother started flying 747's in the early days there was an urban myth that there was some sort of jumbo Bermuda triangle off the coast of Nigeria in the Gulf of Benin.  It was apparently caused when the crew forgot to put the next way points into the INS system.  When the autopilot ran out of stored waypoints (I think the capacity was 9) then the plane would make a gentle turn towards 0 longitude and 0 latitude, which happens to be in the Gulf of Benin.  I suspect that some sort of software fix has stopped this now.

Jamie 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, pH said:

Around here, that's called "blacktop politics" and, as you say, it's common in the runup to elections.

Many Police stations used to get painted in March to use up the budgets.   

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Many Police stations used to get painted in March to use up the budgets.   

Jamie

I was once given a load of presigned LEA order forms(in those days as good as cash!)  and told to order stuff as unused money was found. I had a little list as I had asked the schools I supported that if any money did appear were there any IT items they would like. Later on creative accounting stopped this, and I learnt about things like “ it’s ok we can “via” it to a non annual account “ or something like that. Useful as hardware and software releases didn’t coincide with the educational financial year. Usually they were scheduled for the fifth quarter of any year.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I was once given a load of presigned LEA order forms(in those days as good as cash!)  and told to order stuff as unused money was found. I had a little list as I had asked the schools I supported that if any money did appear were there any IT items they would like. Later on creative accounting stopped this, and I learnt about things like “ it’s ok we can “via” it to a non annual account “ or something like that. Useful as hardware and software releases didn’t coincide with the educational financial year. Usually they were scheduled for the fifth quarter of any year.

I was once involved in setting up a national computer project and the initial work was funded by other forces along with my own.  We held the first general meeting at the end of March and the force treasurer plus assistant attended.   Heads of It for many forces were there and by the end of the meeting we had written invoices for well over £200K.   These were dated for various dates from the 28th of March to the 10th April, but all got paid.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I think my first ER post , on an earlier version of RMWeb , was advising Peter (Ddolfelin) how much his dehumidifiers were going to cost to run. He had been flooded half way up a mountain. The water rushing down the road had flooded  his cavity walls. 

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Condolences to Debs on her loss may her fathers god be with him.

Not much happening here I went shopping in Horrorsons with Her for something to do.

Jersey has been on my radar the only time I flew there was to collect a Targa 911s  Porsche for shipping out to Hong Kong came back on a late ferry to Weymouth  it's didn't take long to get

to Heathrow those things fly I might give it a try next year(Jersey Neal Jersey), this year it's Yorkshire on the charbanc visiting 3 Heritage railways and a ride over the Settle & Carlisle line in 3

weeks time.

Better get back to the Indian Hill Rly the room is covered on polystyrene beads. :superman: M.E.Sybuqqer :bye_mini: 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It's noticeable the intake of items for calibration increase occurs at certain times.

Just at the start of the school summer holidays,

Just just at the start of the Christmas holidays. 

And just before the start of a new financial year.. And extending to after the new financial year for those that had run out of money.. 

I'm enjoying a very large Highland Park,  while lying on the sofa. Funnily enough I feel. The most relaxed in ages.. 

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

Nice tipple the Highland Park, consumed a bottle over Xmas, on a bottle of the Mannochmore from the flora & fauna series just now, I was trying to work my way through the complete set(drinking them not collecting them), but the last few I need to find are over £300 a bottle, so unless my lotto numbers come up tonight, I might have to find a new challenge lol.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. RMweb is still acting up, sometimes it takes ages to load and at other times its almost instant. It seems to take longer where there are photographs in posts. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Users of one of my anagrams may be interested to see a magazine I photographed in WHSmith, Oxford Services today.IMG_3493.png.8f5fb99040274fd8eb90fe5f6831cf3c.png

Don't be Koi about it!

Clearly, the upgrade to the new forum software failed; we STILL don't have a GROAN button!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Not long after my post this morning, the dull sky changed to glorious sunshine, so I ended up having to don sunglasses and a cap for my walk to the swimming pool! When I got there, it would seem that quite a few of the local schools were taking it in turns to give the pupils swimming lessons. I’m wholeheartedly in favour of this, but it does impact on the ability to be able to swim freely. But thankfully the small pool was open for them as well as 1 of the main pools 4 lanes, which left the other 3 open for the rest of us swimmers. However, I still managed to do 112 lengths (approximately 1 3/4 miles) and 10 of those were under water. Whilst taking a breather between one of my under water lengths, I heard a young voice calling my name and waving excitedly, which was something that I wasn’t expecting. It turned out to be the young daughter of one of our neighbours.

After dinner I didn’t feel so tired so I made 6 jars rhubarb and strawberry jam. Whilst it was cooking, the aroma that filled the house was wonderful. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I find this quite a worrying comment on the general business of flying an aircraft. Surely there would have been some indication? The sun being on the wrong side of the aircraft, for example? Not passing the coastline? 

This seems to be the sort of thing once known as “putting red on green”, flying on the reciprocal bearing. 

I'm afraid that, bizarre as it may seem, I don't find this as surprising as could be expected. Total reliance on and belief in the magic electronic/digital gismos to the exclusion of common sense and the basics of how to fly an aircraft are seemingly common occurrences and reading some of the accident and incident reports are, to an ex-professional pilot, almost unbelievable. I know that nearly everyone at sometime says or thinks, 'It's not like it was in my day', or similar, but at least we were taught the very basics of airmanship and handling to begin with and didn't learn to rely on automatics and software at an early stage. I sometimes wonder what happened to the mantra that, 'When something goes wrong, first fly the aircraft, then sort out the problem.' I can honestly say that has saved me on a good few occasions but in some of the accidents in recent years it seems to have been noticeably absent. I'm not saying that all of today's pilots are poor or anything like it - dealing with the complex flight systems in a modern aircraft is demanding and requires great skill but the training system seems to me to lack some of the basics that I was taught to rely on.

Rant over and waiting for the fallout!

Dave

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1