The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

One can only hope that this was more successful than my lathe and mill work which reduces useful bits of metal to  swarf.

I'm sure I'll be able to do exactly the same when I pluck up enough courage to actually plug the Unimat in.   However as I mentioned in my layout thread, the acid test will be when I take the slitting disc to the crank axle and take the two pieces of axle out between the crank webs.  If there is any wobble then I will have to wait till Doncaster to buy another Slaters axle.    

I do realise that I have now put myself in mortal danger.  Does the awl still reach 700 miles.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

As usual, an apology for absence, but yesterday was a bit busy - bank statement to be checked - ditto credit card, then off to a jumble sale, then we learned of another nearby, an hour later, so it was off there - then with dog walking, dinner etc, and it was time for the Brokenwood Mysteries on Drama - a rather good detective series from NZ, which has never been shown on the main channels.  So by that time I didn't manage to get logged on again. 

Today it's time to start sorting the stock for the coming car boot season, which should be starting sooner rather than later, and there's quite a bit of stuff sitting around, and in bags in the eaves, so it's time to go through all the boxes, crates of surplus railway books, and so on. 

Meantime, pleased that those at Ally Pally enjoyed themselves and expended amounts of modelling tokens with the traders, and a shame that Rick managed to miss the meet up.  John, I am pleased to hear that Sandy seems to be holding her own, and then some - that Chemo does sound quite gruelling, and she seems to be facing up to it very well.  I agree that there's some ERs missing - I know from seeing him around that Geoff is having a break from posting here, but I do wonder where some of the other regulars have gone.  Also, the usual supportive thoughts to the ailing, and generic greetings to all others deserving of them.

Back later or tomorrow, hopefully.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I'm sure I'll be able to do exactly the same when I pluck up enough courage to actually plug the Unimat in.   However as I mentioned in my layout thread, the acid test will be when I take the slitting disc to the crank axle and take the two pieces of axle out between the crank webs.  If there is any wobble then I will have to wait till Doncaster to buy another Slaters axle.    

I do realise that I have now put myself in mortal danger.  Does the awl still reach 700 miles.

Jamie

Not in these circumstances.

One should understand that the awl is only wielded after uncontrolled written drivel pertinent to a specific subject.

In the above quoted instance, you are describing engineering techniques which the good doctor (GWOTA) thoroughly approves of.

Edit....

GWOTA: Great Wielder of the Awl

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the awl seeing eye......:ohmyclear:

Morning world.  Sunny but breezy sur le rock, NHN currently lazing about post-croissant, a bit knackered as yesterday was an almost 10,000 pace day, which I have only managed once before since I mashed my foot.  I know its not much in the great scheme of things, but to me it is. Not sure what the orders of the day are, as the OOD is off cycling with her pal. 

The work on the camper was mostly successful yesterday, but the reversing camera has died.  Signal to the screen is good (it's wireless) but the content of the signal is a black cat in  coal cellar.  New one en-route.  They seem to have a limited life span, this is V3 in 7 years. 

Q, why don't you sail in the 'summer'?  Just curious.

Chrisf, I for one will miss your DMU pages, I would never have thought back then that I could get interested in 'Multis' as we called them, and now I spend ages perusing the  photos and your captions, absorbing the atmosphere and information.  It was the green/blue transition then all blue era for me, a little later than most of the photos, but the 'feel' is all there.  Now, what other themes can you pick up on and write such informative words for us to absorb?

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about what Baz said I recall we used to have Duncan emt11 as a regular contributor. Checking his log on details it appears he last checked in around January 2018.

Today's plan is apparently to mow the lawns. i ought also to start removing some of the cracked sealant that holds the garage passenger door in place and back fill. With new windows being scheduled for 4-6 weeks time I feel a need to make the garage doors the same colour. Also the garden fence needs creosoting - or whatever is used these days. As someone needs to be at home whilst the window fitters do their thing I believe I may find a useful reason to take a couple of days off in May. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunshine and blue sky here with nary a cloud in sight. Looks like we're in for a nice day.

Woke up at 4.00 am with much pain in both knees and hips so came down for tea and painkillers. Went back to bed after an hour and managed a couple more hours sleep.

First task is to boil a couple of eggs for breakfast, no fry up today. I do the boiling and poaching of eggs here,  this is one of the few culinary tasks I am permitted along with steaks, roast beef and cake making as The Boss says I'm better at it. Who am I to argue with Her Lady Bossness, SWMBOAAT.  (AAT =At All Times) :whistle:

Later we're off to lunch with Nicki and the kids to son Steve's flat for an early Mother's Day for Chris as Steve is away next week. .Apparently we're going to Nicki's for the the same thing next week so Chris gets two Mother's days. I'm going to ask Steve if he can ensure he can arrange to be away on Father's day  as well! :yes:

Railway question awlert! I bought a Deltic Prototype yesterday as I've always wanted one because I saw it as a kid. I'm convinced that I saw it a couple of times on the ECML  at WGC about 1958/1959 but everything I've read so far tells me it was on the WCML and didn't move until later. I definitely saw it in the Science Museum after it was withdrawn but think that would have been about 1962/3. Can anyone help?

Time to get a move on (I'm told!)

Have an excellent day,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
Multiple edits for punctuation, speelink, omissions, duplications and cock ups.
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Thinking about what Baz said I recall we used to have Duncan emt11 as a regular contributor. Checking his log on details it appears he last checked in around January 2018.

Another MIA is Peter (Ddolfelin) who hasn't visited since May last year and Smiffy2 too.  The Whelkman has been absent for quite a while.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Text modified to remove any threat from this dodgy covert outfit.

Not in these circumstances.

One should understand that the awl is only wielded after this is uncontrolled written drivel pertinent to a specific subject.

In the above quoted instance, you are describing engineering techniques which the good doctor (GWOTSA) thoroughly approves of. :boredom:

Edit....

GWOTSA: Great Wielder of the sod Awl     :sarcastichand:

I thought I'd have some interaction with this awl(ful) coven. :biggrin_mini2: sorry HH :jester:

Morning ALL

I see the RM Spoons Club was low in numbers at Ally Pally still never mind lads there is always next year, GDB never fails to spend money at shows I can't remember any occasion him not doing so.

Earlier in the week I score high in the token stakes 2 Stir Fry's, marked 10/10  for both of them that can't be bad, it doesn't matter if it's good or bad she still scoffs it all.

Today I will finish off a Restaurant coach I had lost the plot with a year ago it only needs the paintwork touching in and the bogie's refitting they had been lost in a pile of "to do" boxes.

If it warms up outside I will run the track cleaning train on the garage layout and have a play with the new coaches, a suitable Large Prairie has be found for the task hauling these delightful jems.

things to do and places to go enjoy yours :superman: Pete Aker :biggrin_mini2:

BTW

Andy B I believe Duncan met a very nice Lady and has not come up for air since and he had only just started his own business, I did text him soon after he went of the radar but got no reply .

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

Morning, I live on the east coast of sub tropical Scotland and at sunrise you see the orange globe rise from the sea, then an hour or so later it rises into the thick layer of cloud and we may not see it again all day, most odd. After quite a bit of over doing the "G" word yesterday, feet up day today, hope everyone finds some relaxation time, oh and the much predicted Aurora didn't show last night at all despite much anticipation looking.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Enjoyed a live rugby game yesterday, Nrecastle Falcons v Sale.  It was Falcons annual attempt to raise interest by holding a game at St James park home of Necastle football club.  At one point I didn't think I would make it as my legs, being staunch Sunderland supporters,  refused to head toward said football ground.  Only after telling them that it was for rugby and promising that they would never return would they cooperate. A good result for the Falcons, if not the best of games.

Off to play trains with the National Trust for the rest of the day.

Enjoy whatever you are up to as best you can.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I have emailed Duncan a few times to no avail.

Smiffy is still pottering about but not in ERs.

No news of DDolfelin since his last visit

Anyone seen Trisonic Pete?

Ian Abel has also now gone AWOL...this concerns me greatly...who is next????

Baz

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, BoD said:

Morning all.

Enjoyed a live rugby game yesterday, Nrecastle Falcons v Sale.  It was Falcons annual attempt to raise interest by holding a game at St James park home of Necastle football club.  At one point I didn't think I would make it as my legs, being staunch Sunderland supporters,  refused to head toward said football ground.  Only after telling them that it was for rugby and promising that they would never return would they cooperate. A good result for the Falcons, if not the best of games.

Off to play trains with the National Trust for the rest of the day.

Enjoy whatever you are up to as best you can.

A visit to the home of our natural enemies.. pah! Even if it is for Rugby!

Enjoy your day with the Trains BoD best regards to all of the other "helpers"

Me, off to play trains ..

81C..never mock the awl holder. Despite being very poorly she who owns the awl has some spies on here to let her know who, when she is well enough, to use the awls on.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

Morning all from Alexandra palace. Looking forward to a good day.  First though a demu committee meeting.

Hope all are well,  if not,  consideration and sympathy and wishes to get better as appropriate. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

I can't find Vincent (DutchMaster) in the list of members. I might be wrong but ISTR that something was said here somewhere on the forum that upset him considerably.

He had a spat with AN Other and AY was also involved, things were not resolved and I think he departed shortly after.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

27 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I have emailed Duncan a few times to no avail.

Smiffy is still pottering about but not in ERs.

No news of DDolfelin since his last visit

Anyone seen Trisonic Pete?

Ian Abel has also now gone AWOL...this concerns me greatly...who is next????

Baz

.... and sixoh???, Black rat, .......

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

As is the norm for a Sunday morning, we had a lie-in and breakfast in bed, I got up about 30 minutes ago and have just finished muggertea No2. The sun is currently shining and I’m now going to spend the rest of the day in the workshop. 

As has already been pointed out, there are quite a few of our usual crowd missing aren’t there?

Enjoy the day, back later

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Some of the missing could be down to the pitiful performance of this forum who wants to sit at a desk looking at a blank or stationary screen in-between changing threads.

P.A.H. Addenough

To prove a point it took 30 seconds to save this post.

Edited by 81C
  • Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No more gardening for me for a day or so, woke up this morning with an aching back, a long soak in the bath has eased it but why take chances? Someone asked about Dutch Master a couple of weeks ago and he's definitely gone, as has Horsetan.

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

One can only hope that this was more successful than my lathe and mill work which reduces useful bits of metal to  swarf.

In woodwork class when I was at school I produced the best firewood. :P

Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 8
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ah, the awl seeing eye......:ohmyclear:

Q, why don't you sail in the 'summer'?  Just curious.

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I built my sailing boat in Saudi 1996 -2001, I had just sailed it twice out there when they moved us to the mountains when I finished out there, I brought it back.  Is sat in the shed till about 3years ago,  as I was too busy sailing all year round to work on it. 

I had decided to start work on it when ever my summer or winter compatriot  stopped sailing.  As it was it was the summer one that gave up first. 

Since then I have been rebuilding the boat for a particular class I can race in. This has meant chopping the boat in half ( staggered joint planned for. )   then rejoining, that's now done. 

Left to do, 

repaint hull.

Refit interior. 

Rebuild keel to match new hull layout,  

Fit new mast,  and rigging. 

Rebuild trailer to match new hull. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1