The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning awl,

Best wishes to those of you meeting at Ally Pally.  I'm at the Spur Null Tage in Gießen.

Yesterday I travelled on a new bit of track (for me); the up Deptford to Thameslink chord.

Keep well awl, Bill

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

We were awake early this morning as Aditi had an appointment at 7.30 to see the practice nurse at the GP surgery. I went back to sleep. Aditi has now gone off to a French Circle conversation session. This session is being led by the lecturer they had last night. It should be fairly peaceful. Last time someone managed to turn it into a discussion that involved the topics that are also not supposed to be discussed on RMWeb. 

I have to go to the post office to get whatever postage is required for a large envelope with about 25 sheets of A4 paper in it. 

Then I suppose more moving of model railway items from the garage. Perhaps a box moving video could replace those unboxing videos on YouTube.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Faux f Friday might not turn out to be a visit to the trainspotting branch of  Waitrose as the management MIGHT walk down to the town for various other shop visits and then call me to collect her from the car park adjacent to our local Waitrose, time will tell.

I thoroughly sympathise with Andrew P's dislike of needles.  I  used to have quite a phobia about the things although it isn't as bad as it used to be now I get one stuck in my arm every few weeks.  But I still  can't stand having one in my right arm for some totally illogical reason so I always insist they aim somewhere in the vicinity of the scar tissue in my favourite vein in my left arm.   Oddly I'm not too upset - nor ever have been - by other things such as blood or bad cuts (or worse when seen at work in the past)  it's just those needles.  which reminds me - it will soon be time to make an appointment for the next blood letting.

No other plans for today as we're still waiting on a date for one thing so can't arrange anything else,

Have a good day everybody

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Further to the advice re PPI from a few days ago I've just claimed online against my bank.   Done it direct and very easy to do.   Just need to do the same for a credit card company.   I can only await some modelling tokens.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The post has just arrived and with it an acknowledgement letter for my PPI claim. In fact it was two letters identical to each other. Well at least the claim is in before the expiry date so I will have to wait and see. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

. Aditi has now gone off to a French Circle conversation session................ Last time someone managed to turn it into a discussion that involved the topics that are also not supposed to be discussed on RMWeb. 

What is French for faux pas?

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

trébucher

Not guillotiner? :jester:

Well, seeing as it’s splendid weather, I spent the morning tidying up some and pulling the windows wide open while I did. Did the same in the car later and caught a nap before heading to Heiterblick for parking up as this is where I’ll return to tonight.

I‘ve been invited to take part in a team developing digital solutions for various work-related purposes. The first meeting will take place next Tuesday and I’m curious what may come of it.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Morning all.  I wonder how long this connectio

n will last. It’s a bit Kelloggs in here - flaky. 

Another Notter Bad Day has been had thus far.  A diversion via Ruxley Lane on the way home (no, not the one in the Boring Borough, the other one which postally is in Ewell but is actually much closer to Tolworth) saw SWMBO’s sewing-machine foot pedal repaired on the spot. She can now finish the quilt tonight which is required for delivery tomorrow but which was delayed by the expiry of the old pedal. 

By way of recompense she has agreed to shop tonight on her way home. That balances the expenditure and means I no longer need another trip out. The village shop Upon the Hill remains closed for its extensive refit. New freezers and fridges have been fitted reducing the appearance of bare walls.  They have also placed a “help yourself” rack outside containing giveaway food items about to go out of date but not requiring cool storage. Several households we know of are enjoying free bread for example. 

I sincerely hope the cough lets go of Chris soon. A few of us know how bad it can be.  And as ever best wishes are offered to Debs and family and our other sick members and their nearest and dearest. 

There’s still some free bread left at the shop if you’re quick. Use by tomorrow. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

saw SWMBO’s sewing-machine foot pedal repaired on the spot. She can now finish the quilt tonight which is required for delivery tomorrow but which was delayed by the expiry of the old pedal. 

She'd better step on it then.

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

Afternoon all, spent the morning at Montrose Basin with my camera photographing wildlife as the tide came in, pretty good session(you can also see the ECML in the distance for those wanting to watch trains too), then went home and thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather and planted some strawberry plants in their new bed, over done it I think, feet up and a muggercoffy time.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Just back from a big orange shed, where the weather is heavy and oppressive, almost thundery. That was not good, neither was the £260 bill,   hidden in that and remaining in the landrover so SWMBO doesn't give me more grief, is a sheet of expanded mesh as slartybartfast has a hillside to make. The rest is timber and ply for garage doors and work bench. 

I couldn't hide two deliveries from Abebooks, both are to complete sets about  rathaidean-iarainn na Gàidhealtachd. Also delivered more 2ft galvanised hinges for the doors and 600 screws.. 

Food has been eaten,  coffee drunk,  Ben is lying along side me,  eyelid inspection beckons... 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. 

Not much to report.

Hope all those who attend Ally Pally enjoy it. I rather prefer the smaller local shows. 

Will be thinking of Tony & Adit and raising a glass to Matthew. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

trébucher

I immediately thought of one of these before I spotted the r at the end instead of a t! I suppose you could call that a bit of a faux pas.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trebuchet&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjo1cGF9JPhAhUxsXEKHUzPC8kQ_AUIDigB&biw=1600&bih=757#imgrc=aLU1fTZXeXYT6M:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In other news here Chez GDB the roofing works were completed earlier this afternoon and all looks good, particularly when viewed through my camera telephoto lens.  Roofers were very pleasant guys who liked lots of tea but did keep me informed at every stage about what was going on.  :rolleyes:  Scaffolders will be here tomorrow to remove their stuff so Ally Pally looking good for Saturday. :yes:

Now all I have to wait for is the final invoice, I don't expect any delays with  that. :no:

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Still a bit coughy here approaching wk 5 of the lurgy, and oddly light-headed feeling today - not sure what that's about.  More than normal anyway....

At least I have a bit more energy, but if this is what being 60 is about, I'm voting against it.  Never ever have I taken so long to shake an infection off and I had the flu jab.

I'm OK ish with needles, other that in my mouth (shudders) and one I had to put reactive agent into my hip joint for an MRI investigation before my hip surgery.  That one wasn't fun, the surgery was easier!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyB said:

Evening all. 

Not much to report.

Hope all those who attend Ally Pally enjoy it. I rather prefer the smaller local shows. 

Will be thinking of Tony & Adit and raising a glass to Matthew. 

Oh what a surprise but the main lift has broken down and won't be fixed till at least Monday. On a Saturday trying to get in on the level can take till 08.20 before even starting to unload and the show opens at 09.30. It's the one big bugbear we have doing this show and then you get some one who walks up to the layout and has a go because you aren't quite set up as has happened a few years ago . It's a great show once alls running so we keep going. Luckily I have the layout loaded onto the car and planning on driving there tomorrow morning but will have to set up myself. At least should be able to leave our vehicle there over the weekend in the secure area, fingers crossed.

Just a shame that the lifts break down most years. About time they sorted these lifts out.

Anyway looking forward to a good weekend.

• Friendly/supportive 18