The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A reasonably good lunch was had at the Spring Inn which lurks down the A4 west of Theale (and east of site of Ufton Crossing), definitely an improvement on the Sunday lunch we had there some time back (which was just as well).  We met friends there because it was part way between our starting points although we weren't massively keen in view of our previous experience but clearly things have looked up a bit so it can remain on the reasonable list.   Only problem was the much nattering ladies of the party who duly delayed our departure well into  heavier traffic time which led to a considerable delay in getting out onto the A4 - but at least the staff were happy to let us all sit there while my pot of tea went rather cold.

Currently tomorrow looks as if it will probably be faux Friday which might well mean the trainspotting branch of Waitrose as the car is in need of a fill up of Asda's cheap diesel (.5.2p per litre cheaper than our local rip-off bunch.  In other travel news the lad is on the 20.07 Eurostar from Paris having taken well over 2 hours to get through the various slow-going French security checkers.  But at least he got on the train, which left 50 minutes late although he seems to have been happily tucking into a chicken dinner and couple of bottles (small bottles) of red according to his most recent report.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Is anyone else finding the site particularly slow and flakey tonight?

This latest incarnation is a fine example of the proverbial Curate's egg.

I'm prepared to persevere though because the benefit of the content outweighs all the frustrations (just).

• Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

14 minutes ago, BoD said:

Evening all.

Is anyone else finding the site particularly slow and flakey tonight?

This latest incarnation is a fine example of the proverbial Curate's egg.

I'm prepared to persevere though because the benefit of the content outweighs all the frustrations (just).

Yes, it does seem slow, but it's inconsistent.

Weather here has gone from the cor blimey to the ridiculous. Non-stop blue sky for days and the temperature has shot up to 18C, although it's still below freezing at night.

My physiotherapist was amused the other day when I said "crikey". She seemed to think it was Australian speak. I'm pretty sure Billy Bunter wasn't Australian.

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I went out to the club next doors van was again parked close to my drive though I did manage to get out without mishap. Surprise, surprise! when I returned it had been parked on his drive. Still have to bend the ears back of Barstewarts and Thieves the letting agents. Their  'to let' sign is screwed to my fence on my side of the property line, I'll give them a call and ask them for rental for their sign to see how quickly its removed.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The sun did find its way out from behind the clouds and the result was a beautiful sunny and warm day, 15C when I walked back from the swimming pool, I’m glad I didn’t take a jacket with me. It wasn’t too busy in the swimming pool this morning, I think the most that were in at any one time was about 12, it was down to 5 at one point. I managed to do 100 lengths and several single lengths under water. 

After dinner I read for a while then made a start on tonight’s tea, chicken curry, which now seems to be a firm favourite with them all. But, as the grandkids are growing up fast, I feel that I’ll have to be giving them larger portions soon!

Goodnight all 

• Like 17

Just watched the 'super worm moon' rise into an absolutely clear sky over the snow-covered Selkirk Mountains in southern BC - spectacular!

Edited by pH
  • Like 15

43 minutes ago, pH said:

Just watched the 'super worm moon' rise into an absolutely clear sky over the snow-covered Selkirk Mountains in southern BC - spectacular!

You're just up the road then.

• Like 7

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning in this part of the world.  Still pretty chilly, but there is a definite sign of Spring in the air.

There isn't a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A dry and cloudy start here and it should stay like that for most of the day although there may be a few bright spells later.

All being well today should see the last day of roofing work and hopefully the scaffolding will go tomorrow. Once that's out of the way i can start getting ready for the next phase of the house renovations.

I've found the site slow as well but have also had problems a couple of times with my wi-fi dropping out which hasn't helped. Son Steve may be visiting today so I might get him to look at it if he's got time.

Still haven't started dismantling the layout boards although I keep talking about it. Who knows, maybe today is the day?

Have a good one,

I.M.  Puttingitoff.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

A good nights sleep of 6 hours solid, followed by another dozing on the sofa, 

Ben the border Collie did not seem so happy, he met me at the bottom of the stairs, something he han't done in a long time. These days a pair of eye open from his bed , watch me deposit myself on the sofa and then close again.  He then spent the next couple of hours moving from bed to hall way to cage and back again. Repeatedly.. most odd for him..

He was, however, just his normal self when out on patrol..

Misty this morning, intermittant use of the wipers all the way in.

This weeks major system went on cross check overnight, after some question on the new cal programmes results, the boss is investigating that..

If that's OK it's back onto the Chinese system re runs, there are three sections with high noise levels that need repeating. That may have been caused by the builders next door.. using electric power tools... They haven't finished demolishing the concrete pads yet...

After work it's home via the big orange shed two near full size sheets of ply needed for garage doors, and one sheet of 1 inch thick ply demolished in to lots of sections, for the new work bench and equipment stands. a lot of the framing is coming from the mobile home. When I changed it from three bed rooms to one and a westerly facing living room to a southerly facing one. A Lot of hard board walls came out but the framing was 2X2 so that was saved. Though there is a fair amount of nail and tack removal to do before it's use.

Oh Norwich are going to have a car free day.... on a Sunday (to match with a world one), Sundays there are no park and ride busses, and the rest is on a reduced service.. So either the centre of town will be a ghost town or every one will use their cars and ignore it..

The two most polluted roads in Norwich  are one which is busses only and another that is mostly buses...

Time too....... wander down to the lab..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a part of the continent a tad south and west of Robert and Dom.   No doubt there are some branches of Ikea between here and there but they are all a long way from here.   Spring is in the air but it was only one degree when I went to get a basket of logs.   The fire is now relit and the room and most of the house is warm.   

The moon was spectacular last night when I went over to the shed with bright stars as well.   

This morning I am shortly off to a town about 12 miles away to get a slight bulge looked at in one of the tyres on Beth's car.  This afternoon I will be heading west to take the tea urn that I borrowed last week, back.  Whilst there it would be rude not to spend and hour or two near the railway lines.

Apart from that I need to work on a design for a grille to go over the back door and it's adjacent window.   It's the door that we go out of when we shut the shutters and lock the house up and we think that it needs beefing up.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Chris I hope the Practice Nurse can sort your cough out. Perhaps you should be having hot  toddys before you go to bed? 

Youngest Herbert has gone quiet about his house purchase. I hope all is well. Our house is still for sale in Barrow. Not sure the agents are any good but we live in hope.

I had hoped for better news from Debs. The daily update from John and Sandy is a great way to keep us up to speed. Great work John and may the positive news continue.

Today sees more attempts at crust earning. Seems like I am the go to for fitting sound in kit built and modified locos. Good but it can be interesting at times.

Today has nothing much else scheduled..yet but if it cheers up a bit of fence repair work will be undertaken.

Have as great a day as you can!

Positive thoughts to all who ail or are missing

Baz

• Like 18

Morning one and all........Site slow?

No idea, since the new format I hardly spend much time here at all.

Good news, as I am getting plenty of the M word done!

Bad news is I am rapidly running out of Parkside etc kits to build.........

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear there has been a mains hiccup, half the computers tripped out... wasting hours of work...

The major system on it's overnight run kept going, so thats 8 hours not lost, although the resistor value it was doing at the time shows 64% Out Of Spec, a single remeasure that can be remeasured manually.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Its a bit of a dull and cloudy start to the day, but with the current temperature 10C and no rain forecast it will hopefully be a nice day. 

This morning I have to wait inside as Sheila is awaiting a parcel, so once she has left for her Zumba class I will start making some roast tomato, garlic and balsamic vinegar soup, one which ive not made for some time. If the postman hasn’t been I will potter about in the cellar until she gets back.

After dinner I will go to Vickie and Ian’s house and drop of a dismantled Dexion shelving unit that I’ve been storing for them, it will also mean something else gone from the cellar. 

Back later

• Like 16