The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

The temperature has dropped quite significantly again this morning.  We are below freezing with quite a heavy frost.

Having said that, it is nice a bright.

Time for a coffee!  Have a good day everyone...

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

Well after the previous nights long sleep it was to be expected that this one would be carp and it was..

I've got dry feet this morning, even though it's been raining, yes new steel toe capped work boots arrived courtesy of the strong ladies... Ben the Border Collie  wanted to play out there, where we had had a small shower of rain, I had to disappoint him, No time.

Driving home yesteday , it is obvious spring has sprung... no less than 5 sets of road works, Bridge repairs, gas pipline, BT fibre, road resurfacing and a we're not admitting who we are..

The road surfacing is a bit more than that, that piece is an old railway line built across marsh land. Not surprisingly 130 years of single track impacted ballast into the marsh behaves somewhat to the 40 year old full width of the A road and they are parting company..

Packaging, i ordered some micro strip also via the strong ladies, as the cheapest supplier...it turns out is came from the USA... 1 Pack of micro strip in a cardboard envelope big enough to take a very Thick A4 pad....

And I have no Time..

Time to.. go get that chinese system running... more on that later...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Knock Knock....

Who's there?

The builders knocking seven shades of XXXXXX out of various walls and the concrete pad on the floor of the old boiler room next door. They are also using a big grinder cutter, that makes it vibrate in here somewhat. The ventilator above the door has been replaced by glass, the others through the walls chiselled out, ready for bricking up. 

How do you measure AC voltage very accurately?...

Well roughly this way,

You have a resistor and a thermocouple inside a glass bead, carefully insulated from the outside world.

You feed the resistor with a known amount of positive DC voltage and measure amount of heating with the thermocouple.

You Feed the resistor with AC voltage and measure amount of heating with the thermocouple.

You feed the resistor with a known amount of Negative  DC voltage and measure amount of heating with the thermocouple.

Then using a little maths you can work out the value of ACV..

Except yesterday ....

The Chinese system decided it wasn't going to feed the Resistor with +DCV,  every measurement  from 10Hz to 6Khz (about 30 measurements). I checked all the connections, turned everything on and off, tried running again, three times...

Then waited for the boss.

He came, checked everything I had done... all OK..

so we ran it again..

it worked...

2 hours lost work time...

Today it's running OK, which is just as well as this run takes 289 minutes not the 40 minutes of yesterday..

Meantime I'm just waiting for 1.9Kohms to settle on the other major system.. I've made 40 other measurements between typing this, time for the next one...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Rick, I think Special Delivery has stricter rules than signed for. One of our former posties told me it was a sacking offence to break that rule. 

Quite correct, and I can vouch for that, as we had a temporary postie here once who had a 1 pm guaranteed delivery - a very expensive (think £500 plus) teddy bear for 30747 and it was signed for at 12.47 but not by us.  To cut a long story short, she had signed for it herself, as she was running late.  Unfortunately, as 30747 was waiting at home for said delivery, and I went online for her and found out that it was already signed for (but not delivered), we got the sender to start a claim for mis-delivery.  30747 then went looking for the postie, who was then compelled by her to go back to her van, where the package was sitting on the front seat - by now it was well after the 1 pm delivery promise.  30747 signed for it - teddy was obtained, sender got a refund on the postage, which she then sent to us, postie got the sack.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Looking out of the kitchen window, it became obvious that it has been raining during the night. Breakfast has been consumed and I will make a start on the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix as soon as the school run has ended. Sheila had threatened hinted that she might come along today,  it has decided to stay in a catch up on some domestic jobs. This will mean that I will only be out around an hour, instead on the 90 minutes or so if she decided to come! Once I’ve got back and put the shopping away, I’ll have a quick muggertea and we will then head of to Waitrose to pick up what we can’t get from Sainsbury’s, I will DEFINITELY be accompanied for that trip!

Mick and Mrs NB happy anniversary. 

Back later

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Let's see if this photo ends upin someone else's post. It will give them a surprise if it does.

Stonehenge Signs of Spring and its much nicer than it looks. Currently sitting in a pub where I had an impromptu interview with a previous bossmany years ago as the office was nearby. It became a lunchtime local for a few months till the company closed the office and messed up the whole company and we all ended up leaving.

20190318_115831.jpg

Input?  Output?

Bill

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Not a lot happening until lunchtime. Then we would appear to be going out for lunch with some friends, Aditi forgot to tell me she had arranged this. 

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. NB and thoughts are with Debs and other ailing ER's. Had a reminder letter from Railway Bylines this morning about renewing my subscription so I phoned up earlier to be told that their computers were down so I'll try again in a few days time. Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Hearty congratulations to Mr & Mrs Mick (hope you'll be talking to each other today :jester:).  And so sorry to hear the continuing travail for poor Debs and now her father - somebody as nice and caring as her really does deserve some better breaks in life so my fingers remain firmly crossed for her.

No plans for today but the G word still lurks - v cancelled yesterday due to rain stopped play.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Stewart.   I'm glad that you've discovered Johnstones.  They are based at Birstall not far from where we used to live.  It was a local company called Silver Paint and lacquer that grew, took over Leyland Paints and then got bought by an American company.  They still manufacture at Birstall and I have a friend who helps manage the IT there.  As a result we can get to use the factory shop which has a very helpful set off staff.  They matched Midland Red for me from a colour swatch and all of LGA's pelmets and baseboard edges are painted with it.   I am sure that they will do you a good job.

Jamie

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning all,

Hearty congratulations to Mr & Mrs Mick (hope you'll be talking to each other today :jester:).  And so sorry to hear the continuing travail for poor Debs and now her father - somebody as nice and caring as her really does deserve some better breaks in life so my fingers remain firmly crossed for her.

We have exchanged messages via WhatsApp. She is 5 1/2 hours ahead, so I have a built in delay in complying with her requests...………...

Thoughts with Debs

Mick

Edited by newbryford
typo
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Just received an email from the company, they will be driill and hammering all day doing as I mentioned before.. Nice to know before hand...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Stewart, I've used Farrow and Ball paints for a few years now and not had any problems with painting over prepared oil paint before. It's a very hard wearing paint and very low odour too! 

Edited by BSW01
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1