The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Back from clothe shopping I was lucky I got it all in Debenhams it saves being dragged round the Basingstoke urban jungle excuse for a shopping centre.

I see some are still having problems they say it will take a few days, some-one is telling porkies or they just don't know.

Her is about to do lunch so I will be back if I can be ar$ed.

enjoy your day :superman: Sea U Later. :bye_mini:

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Had a pint in the Guide Dog on Saturday, very pleasant. Had to ignore the Rugby on TV though, by sitting in the corner under the TV; horrible game, can't abide it, having been forced to play at school. I wasn't the sporty type! I can't even follow it if i try want to; the rules have changed so much since the 60s. I'm about to go to see The Fishermen's Friends, courtesy of Mrs mole's cheap Monday deal at Vue.

Have a good day,

Pete

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

G word mentioned, with menaces!!! (Not sure if it was me or the Good Doctor who was being menaced?).

Now to the site - well (fingers crossed) getting in is easy and always works provided the site isn't on a go slow or under possession.  And my bookmark on Safari always (fingers remaining crossed) takes me to the list of forums and their contents.  So that works well (fingers crossed), browse button now sorted (maybe I wasn't looking properly when its functionality was amended?) so navigation to wherever I want to go is a doddle and exactly the same as it was before the new software arrived.  

Outstanding/current problems/frustrations - different/new pages within threads are slower to load and seem to be getting even slower at times.  Similarly posts seem slower to load much of the time.  

Sometimes I seem to be dumped back on the page listing the forums without pressing a button to get me there or I've pressed a button to do something other than get me there,  

And occasionally I'm told I'm creating an error when trying to like  (etc) a post.  

I sometimes get the text of my previous post turn up when trying to make a new one but it inevitably goes away (fingers crossed) when I click in the place that should make it go away (and if that doesn't work it can be deleted very easily).

So navigation - simples, no change from what I've always done and it works just as well as it did previously.  But speed is rather desultory and frustrating at times.

Now something to eat and then some G word activity I expect. 

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

I've been an inconsistent visitor of late - work has been busy, and unwinding I've found shutting my brain down in front of the TV too tempting.

There is an awful lot of sports on right now. I think the six nations rugby was available to those who sought it out, but this weekend was dominated by basketball - professional and the culmination of the regular season for college basketball - none of which I watched. The college (NCAA) tournament starts later this week - so called "March Madness".

Then there were autosports. I think the F1 was available live late on Saturday night but I didn't bother with it or NASCAR. (Look away if you don't want spoilers that follow.) Where I did spend my time was with golf (the Players' Championship where a Northern Irishman confounded his critics who have harped on his recent poor performances on Sundays) and tennis (semi-finals and finals in Indian Wells, where a drop in serving in the second set by a Swiss master set up a win by a young Austrian). 

After a cold February and early March the weather has been quite magnificent for the last week or so, with temperatures flirting with 20°C. The vegetation is starting to stir but there are no buds on the trees just yet.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Certainly buds on trees around us so hoping the tree surgeon that is visiting tomorrow gives us a reasonable price to chop down the tree near the proposed workshop. Yesterday the builder that did mum's place called by to price and measure a new front door plus a discussion Re the new workshop base. Determined the T a timber structure will be far easier and cheaper than a concrete base. Let's see what ge comes up with.

Meanwhile mum extracted from the 9 car GWR Marrow from Hereford at Reading then on the train back to Redhill, bus home and she is now driving home. I am now back in town drinking a pint from a new barrel of Harveys Old. Lovely. Other half due here soon now that the Thameslink worms have recovered from two separate person strikes earlier today.

• Like 19

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:46, AndyID said:

Wonderful! It's snowing - again. Six inches predicted but it's warmed up a lot and it's likely going to turn to rain at lower elevations.

They do say it's finally going to warm up over the next week or so. Hope they are right.

Wait a week!  We have gone from sub freezing to over 25C and the only snow left is in dirt piles that are melting fast.

Brian.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Then there were autosports. I think the F1 was available live late on Saturday night but I didn't bother with it ...

Brother in Law (Raj) took his daughters (aka our tiny nieces) out for a pub meal. There was F1 on the television and the girls were very taken with cars racing. They were cheering on the red cars.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Roofer has been er roofing.

Bob has been busy box packing with the result that all the OO stuff is now packed away. A couple of O gauge locos and wagons remain to be packed and then there's a few buildings to do and I can start to dismantle track and boards. That should be fun. Not.

Now relaxing with my usual Shiraz so all is well (at the moment) in my little corner of the universe. :yes:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening from a Frazzled Fraggle.

My return to work was somewhat marred by the interweb not working at all and as the phones are IP, they too were fubared.  Lots of head scratching, fiddling, phoning suppliers on mobiles to find…. our providers had forgotten to update the firmware on THEIR devices.  Not fixed until after lunch, so a very vexed and annoyed NHN, with several staff sitting around all morning with nothing to do bar tidy up and shelf up stock, and frustrated customers getting the 'we're busy' telephone message.  Aaaghhhhh.

So our apologies if any of you were those customers!

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Brother in Law (Raj) took his daughters (aka our tiny nieces) out for a pub meal. There was F1 on the television and the girls were very taken with cars racing. They were cheering on the red cars.

Oh dear Tony. Somebody really should talk to them about that! :jester:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. John, please pass on my best wishes to Debs and to you Dave I hope the X-rays show nothing serious. I have done very little re. my shed lately but the seaweed wranglers are promising warm dry weather for at least the next week. Next door is no longer parking his van in the street and now squeezes it onto the drive, another neighbour informs me that he received a ticket for parking on a dropped kerb, his own dropped kerb. It is an offence to park on a dropped kerb, even if its your own.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Sunday night was hockey night...........

The Hawks had a chance of moving up one position in the last game of the regular season if they could at least get a full time draw against the Solway Sharks, having had a good away win the night before away at Solihull, the team they were trying to leapfrog in the league. Looking at the match stats, that would've been a good game to visit, but Junior NB was away at a Guide camp and the weather wasn't the best.

A great game against the Sharks, taking the lead twice, but ending up with a 4-6 loss, meant a 7th place finish in the league.

A top eight playoff against 2nd placed Sheffield is the prize......

It's unlikely that we will progress over a two-leg tie as Sheffield are one of the "big three" that dropped down a couple of years ago and the three have rarely been beaten by the original teams in the league (National North 1) in the past two years. These three teams - Hull, Sheffield and Telford went into the last two games this past weekend, all level on 62 points - 20 points ahead of 4th place, highlighting the gulf between "them" and "us".

However, it has been confirmed that the league that folded a couple of years ago is effectively reforming and the three are moving back to it....... There will be a new team playing from the new Leeds rink and it will be interesting to see how this draws players from the likes of Sheffield and Hull , as well as a couple of teams not too far west of them such as Bradford and Blackburn (we have a few players from the Manchester area)

A busy day at work with much accomplished - caught up on the very tight deadline for the AP project and even got slightly in front.  

This evening 27 years ago, was the last day of being single.

Tomorrow, Mrs NB is over 5500 miles away on a Guide leader trip to Sri Lanka. for the best part of two weeks.

This will be the longest time that we have been apart in those 27 years. 

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

A deal has been struck with the Fiat dealer. I'm flying to Salt Lake City at the weekend to pick it up. Hopefully there will be no last minute glitches or blizzards. The car is a 2017 model with 400 miles on the clock. It's about $10,000 less than the 2019 version which is almost identical. That might explain why I'm travelling so far to get it.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I never did get out in the garden, by the time the postman had been it was raining. It was still raining when it got dark this evening, it only stopped about 1 1/2 hours ago. It wasn’t heavy, just a very light drizzle, the type that lulls you in to thinking, it’s not that bad, I’ll be alright working in that, but you’d be wet through, before you knew it. 

So I ended taking the contents of the parcel (2 motors) to the workshop. I gave them a test and both worked, but one needed a little bit of coaxing to get it to work. So I decided to have a closer look at the anchoridge DS11 motor, but as I’d already decided to alter it, as one of the brushes is connected electrically to the motor chassis. I removed both brushes, the armature and then removed the insulated bush. I then made a second insulting bust out of a small piece of plastic rod and drilled and tapped it 1/8BSW and test fitted the motor brush carrier. I then altered the motor frame and glued in both insulated bushes and then reassembled the motor, at this point I noticed that one of the springs for the carbon brushes was broken. As luck would have it I have a box of miniature springs, which I acquired when one of our workshops was closing and I was able to find a replacement spring, once fitted it was tested, it now runs better than it did before. So I now have a DS11 motor which has both brushes insulated from the motor frame. 

Goodnight all

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

John. Please let Debs know we think about her and now her Dad too.

A friends child is going in for larynx surgery and won’t be able to talk for a while  and I told them about Debs using the text to voice feature on a phone or tablet. It won’t need a French accent though. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5