The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis woke me up at 3 this morning so it was a brace of paracetamols and I was soon back asleep. The rain is holding off and the sun is even shining this morning but its still blowing more than a bit. Terrible news from Christchurch, I can't even imagine how anyone could contemplate doing such a thing.

• Like 11
  • Agree 7

14 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone

I had a bit of luck on eBay this morning, a managed to get couple of motors, a small Mashima, possibly a 1020 and an Anchoidge DS10 for £25.00 the pair.

John. Lovely work from Sandy!

Goodnight all 

Can I suggest that for motors, you do a  search on www.Banggood.com - they have a fair selection at very competitive prices, often no p&p, and the only problem is the wait for them to arrive from far away

Edited by shortliner
  • Informative/Useful 11

Morning all, bright and breezy up here, though not too cold(I think the polar bears have left now), late on parade today had an awful nightmare, I was back at work, flippin' horrible it was lol, I wonder what makes you have such dreams lol.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The more we delve into it the more convinced we are that the stage version of Gaslight we saw yesterday evening is considerably better than the film version with Ingrid Bergman, no wonder I didn't recognise it!   I also forgot to mention the 'Miss Saigon' sound effects as a helicopter took off very near to the theatre and then flew over it, maybe Mr & Mrs Clooney were popping home for the weekend?

Nasty job in Christchurch although it seems a bit odd that the alleged gunman was an Aussie.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well it's about an hour to go on a friday and the chinese system has been running for about 4 hours.. The New deputy Boss appears to be a bit clever with computers and soon sorted it out, having never seen the system before.. I think He's going to be useful..

It was chucking it down outside a short time ago, I hope it's dry ish when i get home as I have something 3X2 ft to load into the landrover.

I've been studying things which join things that roll along parallel bits of metal, my favourite (dingham) is not available in a small size and I'm not liking what I see that is available. Much thought will have to go into this so I've ordered some springy wire to try some ideas out..

The weekly fire alarm test was a bit extended, It was a break glass  panel not 6ft from me, he put the key in to test the unit, the glass dropped inside and didn't come back up when he took the key out. on taking the front off (alarm going all the time). there is a bit of plastic broken inside. Man from chubb ordered, meantime some sticky tape is doing it's stuff..

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyB said:

Afternoon all,

Double glazing quotes so far seem to be in line with what we were expecting. 

The main difference in terms of quality seems to be a 30-year guarantee versus a 10-year guarantee. 

I'm not sure this will justify doubling the price. 

Not wishing to be funny but as we may well move within the next few years it'd seem we'd be paying for someone else's peace of mind. 

The chappie from the cheaper company seemed to know more about the subject, too. 

Knocked off a bit early today as the spreadsheet I was working on started to swim before my eyes. 

Sometimes the guarantee is for the frames. The glazing units often have less.

Is the 30 year guarantee an insurance product or just the window company? Mum had problems with a fantastic guarantee that was worthless with the company going bankrupt. 

Tony

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Last night I mentioned the acquisition of a stock box and that I had some rigid foam to construct the dividers. I went to check the rigid foam this afternoon only to find a couple of small pieces. I know its somewhere but now I will just have to search for it.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Tony. I'll be certain to look into the guarantees. I believe that it may actually be a separate product that you by as extended warranty. And in fact the two quotes we have so far are broadly comparable - apart from the price. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Last night I mentioned the acquisition of a stock box and that I had some rigid foam to construct the dividers. I went to check the rigid foam this afternoon only to find a couple of small pieces. I know its somewhere but now I will just have to search for it.

Perhaps it was biodegradable?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Belated congrats to NHN and Mrs NHN.

Busy few days at work and more still to come which may involve some late night workshop sessions.

I have a day off tomorrow and it should have been the proper season opening "Captain's Drive In" but it has been postponed due to the recent wet weather and potentially bad forecast to come as well.

I have missed only 1 drive in in 25 years and now likely to be two as it has been rescheduled for next Saturday as I will be working at a large Palace named after a Queen that is located on a large hill in North London.

Have a good day of Saturn folks - mine may now include a lie-in.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,  the wind is lower than forecast and their promise of more precipitation has failed. 

So the rebuilt 3x2ft is in the landrover and the next one is roughly in position.  

For some reason the camera on this thing refused to boot up while at the MRC but now it has.  Annoying because my record of progress now has a hole. 

I made like Mr Beeching and drastically reduced the number of parallel bits of metal.

Time for bed said Zebedee.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Depending on what it was made of, it might just disappear. I had a large plastic bag of packaging "peanuts" in the shed, they were all eaten by small rodents. They were some sort of vegetable-based plastic.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

We did deed spend more time at the Trafford Centre than would have been the case had I gone on my own. However, I did come a way with a Mother’s Day gift for Sheila, so it was productive. When I got to the butchers they hadn’t got any pasties left , so I had to make do with an chicken, ham and leek pie instead, ooh it’s a hard life!

This afternoon was spent reading and getting the food ready for when James and Amelia came round for tea. Tonight for a change we had chips, baked beans and burger, the burger was done in our George Formby Grill and yes, they did turn out nice again!

Once James and Amelia had gone home, we did a quick bit of tidying up and then sat down and opened a bottle of Malbec, which definitely hit the spot. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I found some of it, it had slipped down behind some pipework in the cupboard that once held a hot water tank. I'll have to fish out the rest of it later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1