The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

I've been to the dentists now, having been for the impressions.

His 'Tommy Cooper' and 'George Formby' were particularly good...

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Bright and sunny here today, though I had to scrape the car again for the second day in a row.

Interesting to see the comments about Lancaster Uni - it's very badly situated for anything other than the WCML between Galgate and Lancaster, and there is a long standing wish in certain quarters for platforms on the two loops there to serve the campus. Almost all the bus routes to that end of town seem to start or terminate at the university campus, and there is a free student bus to Sainsbury's. There is, however, an excellent real ale bar there of which I have heard good reports.

Other than that, there's not a lot happening, and I think that I'm too long in the tooth now for any of the adjustments that Dave's proposing - good luck with it, mate also hope the car comes through without too much expense.

Regards to All

Stewart

Guest Max Stafford

I'm told that the car won't be ready until about 16:30 as it's also to get a new timing belt. By that time I should know whether it needs a mechanic or a priest... ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I'm told that the car won't be ready until about 16:30 as it's also to get a new timing belt. By that time I should know whether it needs a mechanic or a priest... ;)

Dave.

A former colleague used to own a Lada. Her very religious mother used to sprinkle "the godless communist car" with holy water before every journey. However I hope your vehicle is OK. If they are fitting a new belt I assume the car is good for another 50000 miles at least.

Guest Max Stafford

It's five years old Tony, with less than 37,000 on the clock. I only use it to take abi to the park or get some shopping now I'm biking to work again. Still costs me £50 to fill it up though!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

It's five years old Tony, with less than 37,000 on the clock. I only use it to take abi to the park or get some shopping now I'm biking to work again. Still costs me £50 to fill it up though!

Dave.

Most of the trade in on my Scenic got spent on a rather splendid dog box to protect the new car from soggy spaniel wear and tear. The diesel engine in my present car has a particulate filter that requires the car to have a good run periodically. Going to Leicester with Matthew and monthly trips to the model rail club seem to be adequate though even though outside holiday time my main use is shopping and dog to park trips too. I must admit though recently I prefer to fill the tank when it is half full as it seems less of a shock on the financial system than a whole 68 litre.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Dave, I know how you feel!

I'm still using a retainer at night and have been for about a year now. Before that I had braces for roughly 2 years and I can remember one of the worse parts was having the impressions taken because I found it quite hard to breathe. Funnily enough, I've got to have yet another set of impressions done in this month. I think this time I'll be having a bridge put in. Something like that anyway! My orthodontist seems to change his mind every time we go to the hospital. It's fair to say I've had more than my fair share of hospital visits and operations over the years. Although not that many compared to some people so I mustn't grumble!

Weather is fine here with sunshine!

A bit nippy though.

Guest Max Stafford

I admit there were a couple of moments during the taking of the top impression that I felt a little uncomfortable too as l could only breathe through my nose and having just come in from the cold l was a little snotty too! No major dramas though and I just need to wait a few weeks now whilst the casts are made.

Car passed MOT though I need a new nearside front tyre which was extremely worn on the inside, possibly due to a tracking problem. New timing belt, full service and bits and bobs, grand total of £499, but all being well, good for a decent while. Fancy some more Euro goodies, Tony? ;-)

Dave.

I had top and bottom braces for a number of years. The bottom brace wasn't there to straighten my bottom teeth, it was to connect to essentially a skullcap which I had to wear at night by a rubber band to pull my lower jaw forward to try to address my huge overbite! Very glad not to have to wear them any more...

• RMweb Gold

I admit there were a couple of moments during the taking of the top impression that I felt a little uncomfortable too as l could only breathe through my nose and having just come in from the cold l was a little snotty too! No major dramas though and I just need to wait a few weeks now whilst the casts are made.

Car passed MOT though I need a new nearside front tyre which was extremely worn on the inside, possibly due to a tracking problem. New timing belt, full service and bits and bobs, grand total of £499, but all being well, good for a decent while. Fancy some more Euro goodies, Tony? ;-)

Dave.

After the casts were done Matthew was only worried that he might have to have the brace with an outrigger assembly that seemed to feature on a lot of pictures in the waiting room. Are you going to have the invisible type? My nephew (having his done as an adult) has those and the only problem is that curry (the turmeric specifically) is banned as they stain. Matthew had the metal sort and fizzy drinks were not allowed. Matthew had all that work done on his teeth but now it appears that he will need root canal work on one of his front teeth. It seems that when he fell over a few years ago it damaged the root of one of his teeth and it is discolouring

I'm glad the car is OK, our dog transporters need to be in good condition.

Please let me know about any Euro stuff, always happy to receive your recommendations! I've been ballasting the bit of track that will run through my town scene today. Everything dried nicely from about midday, it got into double figures (just) outside this afternoon.

Tony

Morning All,

What a beautiful picture Don. No view like that around here - but there was a rather nice sunrise this morning.

I think it is time to go and get some coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Carnival parade yesterday appeared to have been through surprisingly quickly :blink: . So much the better, though. However, I wonder how many people will be off work today due to serious hangover! :D

Have a good day, guys...

Ditto!

Morning all! Been very wet here during the night and it still looked wet at 6 when I rolled over and went back to sleep. It's now glorious sunshine though the ground's still soaking.

I'm supposed to have a tennis lesson at lunchtime, a game after work then a dinner with colleagues after that. Busy day ahead!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

Not as much sun today. What I would do for a view like that Don - lovely!

Decided to check my listing for my exhibition today and discovered it had been changed - details about exhibitors attending had been removed as well as quite a large amount of text including information describing that it is a charity event. They also seem to have changed the title to include the club's name so it must be someone I know. Trouble is I don't know how I would find out who changed it, and what made them change a perfectly good entry (if that doesn't sound big headed). Why they decided to remove most of the detail is beyond me, particularly as the changes they made would result in less info being available. huh.gif

However, not wishing to be all negative they have described the event in a more light-hearted way which I don't mind at all.

I think the thing that annoys me is that I've had no email warning me of change and can't see how anyone could have changed it - there's no edit button!

Yours, confused of Hampshire! laugh.gif

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, The sun is trying to emerge from the oktas. Supposed to be working today but that basically means starting to back-up and archive all the years of stuff that is on my work PC. Got to have a gentle day today after 3 meetings yesterday. Well actually only one as the first with my manager was cancelled and the second overran by 2 1/2 hours so I missed the third. It would have been rude to leave a celebration before the tab had been closed!

April the 1st retirement do planning is now well in hand. Not by me but by my more organised colleagues. Big question was "would 6 barrels of real ale be enough?". With an open bar tab as well I think we will manage! As the cost is being shared by 18 of us it's a bargain and in my case doubly so as the company is paying my contribution!

Time to go look for a reasonably priced USB external harddrive to back up my stuff...

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

No mountain views here, though it was clear enough yesterday to see a large container ship heading past Canvey Island. It is warmer and breezier today, I had an opportunity to notice while I put the recycling out.

I'll be looking for quiet things to do today as Aditi has taken a couple of days leave to do some editing on her thesis as it is too long. I'll have to go shopping as although there is plenty of food in the house, Robbie needs his supplies replenishing.

Tony

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! - IT'S BACK!!!!!!

Pulled up the blind this morning to find this lying in wait!

The problem with Winter, Jack is that it "ain't over till it's over" (Yogi Berra) - looking at some of the weather systems that will be peeling off the NA continent shortly, still a few weeks to go....

Best, Pete.