The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All.

It's 'orrible outside but Mug O'Coffee is going down a treat. Woken up by the gentle crashing and banging of green bin and recycling boxes collection.

Regarding smart meters, I have been told by several people in the energy supply business that the main object of the exercise as far as the companies are concerned is to enable them to record everyone's usage minute by minute. Once they have achieved this they will start charging the same way, increasing the cost during periods of high demand. As far as I am concerned, I have repeatedly told my suppliers that I am not interested in having one as I consider myself intelligent enough to work out what my usage is in general terms simply by looking at what I have switched on and don't need a 'smart' meter to tell me. I am also capable of reading a meter and giving them the results when requested.

Some household jobs today as well as a charity committee meeting midday and some writing to do for the Midland Railway Society so the likelihood of shed time is low.

To all who can, have a good day. For the less fortunate, I hope it's as good as it can be and my prayers are with you.

Dave

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyB said:

Morning all,

Good on you Dave. I'm very much for the first quote should be "best and final", possibly with a marginal percentage of wiggle room. 

And on that note swmbo was ringing round yesterday for quotes on double glazing. 

One well known firm asked to come round at 16:00. And if we signed on the spot they'd be very grateful. 

"I'd need to talk to my husband about your quote". 

"We can come round at 17:00 so he can sign on the spot." This was accompanied by a £100 voucher on their website which was time expired. 

I'm rather looking forward to the "What do we need to do to win the work" conversation. :)

Anyway, better dash. Toodle-pip. 

Try doing what I did.   When they offered a discount of several hundred pounds I asked whether this was off the pre or post VAT price and then tied the salesman in knots as he couldn't work the percentages out.   I ended up with a rather larger discount.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s chuckinitdarn here, wet miserable but thankfully not windy! Breakfast has been consumed as has the muggertea and the orange juice. Once Sheila has got her self ready I will drop here off for her manicure as I head out to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. With a bit of luck I’ll be back home before Sheila is. Once the shopping has been packed away I’ll make myself muggertea No2 then make a start on tomorrow nights dessert, a salted caramel cheesecake. 

When I got home from Vickie and Ian’s yesterday, I just plonked my tools and bits on the bench in the cellar, so after dinner all I have planned is to pack away the tools etc in there correct place. It shouldn’t take long, but all I wanted to do yesterday was get cleaned up and jump in the shower.

Enjoy the day, back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

A Smart meter has not been made for a triple tiered meter I have, I'm on a cheap rate Economy 7 system for heating the storage heaters overnight.

I don't think I will venture out just yet it's prepissitating stair rods, I've got to trail cutting one of the old blind headrails with the electric chop saw I

don't want to ruin a new one it will save me a lot of pain not having to cut them with a hand saw, the blade in the chop saw is good for nails ,

thin metal, aluminum and the like I will have to be careful to put a bit of wood in the U shaped profile to stop it bending under the weight of the saw. 

Another job today is to top up on pain killers you can buy only 2 packets at a time I think a private prescription might be the answer.

enjoy your day must get on :superman: Curtin Fittar  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Morning, not much to report up here except it's a cauld wind and the fire lit, I'm feeling a bit livelier each day, so hopefully my modelling mojo will be restored soon and work on the old summer house(TOSH) ready for the new railway project. Have a safe day all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 81C said:

Morning All

Another job today is to top up on pain killers you can buy only 2 packets at a time I think a private prescription might be the answer.

Talking direct to a pharmacist, can also give you a larger purchase, I do that occasionally and get a bottle of 100 Iburophen? might be 50 anyway a lot.. instead of those silly 16 in a packet boxes.

Plans of working on the chinese system have come to a halt... I can't log in to the engineering system and the man who knows has a day off...

Back to measuring shunts...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Wild and windy (weather) this morning and it looks as if its going to carry on until tomorrow afternoon at least. Will only venture out for bread and papers today. I often open boxes to find things I didn't know I had and often I can't remember why I bought it. Muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Here we are again,

... happy as can be?  Well it's back, it has an MoT 'certificate', and everything appears to be working correctly,  But the bill did go into 4 digits after the £ sign before going down to the final 17p.  However at 10 years old it's not exactly a bad bargain I suppose. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Water water everywhere......ahhh 'twas a leak in me pipes!

Oooooooooh 'ark at the rain sez I at 0030 Sunday morning......turned out ( a redundant) old pipe had sprung a leak.

So finally get to bed at 0430, then outside Screwfix at 0900.

Sons pal, a plumber came over ( no charge) and also helped me as I also located (another redundant) gas pipe which I cut thru thinking it was water!!!!!

Been here 30 years......no idea what the pipes were for, plumber thinks probably for an immersion tank or boiler which we have never had.

It would have been a lot easier if the plumber who bodged it all removed the old pipes, apparently it's not uncommon for them to leave stuff behind, along with all the mess and rubble under the floorboards!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

and 1960's newspapers and fag ends.. with the odd dead mouse..

Meantime I'm back from the telephone conference... at least I managed to stay awake.. The weather was more interesting. Huge waves of rain hitting the windows, and in the "U" of the building alongside spiralling around. enough wind changes to pressurize the Air conditioner intake to make the internal door to the room rattle!!

Last shunt warming up, to be measured before paddling home via the engravers. I really ought to get the trophies engraved when I get them, not panic in the last week when I have to hand them back..

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Lovely here - NOT - persisted down with rain most of the night, and the river Lune is well up and over in places - no doubt they will soon build houses on that land.

30747 back from hospital appointment and fangmeister, and we went to Kirkby Lonsdale, following the said river Lune and seeing just how much rain has fallen.

Anyway, generic greetings, congrats and commiserations all round.

Back tomorrow, hopefully.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

No sign of this rain abating so I went to Horrorsons for Wednesday & Thursday night dinner while Her done the weekly shop,I found the razor blades for a pound a packet that was silly of them

check out lady got the arse cos I argued about it I told her she doesn't know retail law and would she kindly get some-one who did she really copped a big one and she was a so-called supervisor

what a joke.

If you want a good laugh you can do no better to brighten you day up by reading the JDM class 92 thread even the AY Mod getting stuck in.:rofl:

must get on Her is approaching :superman:     I.M.Smilleng :biggrin_mini2:       

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 81C said:

Morning All

A Smart meter has not been made for a triple tiered meter I have, I'm on a cheap rate Economy 7 system for heating the storage heaters overnight.

We too are on Economy 7 and it is still the best for us in spite of the 'contract quotes' that they offer all of which have a fixed time limit.  Smart meters are there for their convenience only and like others I have refused them.  On another aspect they came to fit a smart meter in a relatives house but were unable to do so ... why?  he doesn't have internet access so they are not smart meters but just parasites on ones own already paid for internet service. 

Edited by PeterBB
Double wording appeared later and spelling correction
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Wonderful! It's snowing - again. Six inches predicted but it's warmed up a lot and it's likely going to turn to rain at lower elevations.

They do say it's finally going to warm up over the next week or so. Hope they are right.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6