The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It's a small world.

My wife and I both grew up in Gourock/Greenock/Port Glasgow, and now live in a town near Vancouver, Canada.

Until recently, my wife's sister still lived in Gourock/Greenock/Port Glasgow.

My wife has just gone out for an appointment with her regular hairdresser here.

The hairdresser also grew up in Gourock/Greenock/Port Glasgow.

Until my wife's sister moved from Gourock/Greenock/Port Glasgow, her regular hairdresser was my wife's hairdresser's sister.

(“ Gourock/Greenock/Port Glasgow” used instead of “Inverclyde” to be historically correct for pre-1975 times, and retained for consistency when referring to later times – I got chewed out for using “Inverclyde” for pre-1975 times in an earlier post on here! :rolleyes:)

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. They've moved the van next door but only about two or three feet. At least it gives me a bit more room to get on and off the drive but it still doesn't deal with the original problem. I still cant see any approaching traffic or they me. Whats more they have a drive that can hold two vehicles, one half is occupied by a car that has not moved since they moved in and the other half is occupied by an old settee.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Well, another day gone but at least it was one without any SIDs* or other catastrophes, mainly because apart from  dealing with some niffnaff and trivia, basically I spent most of it schlepping about and achieving the square root of b***er all. Mind you, the lurgy has gone away apart from a cough, my root canal job has stopped bothering me and I'm looking forward to visiting the far-flung reaches of Kettering in the morning so it's more like happy bunny time than of late.

Nihjt night everyone.

Dave

* Self Inflcted Damage, AKA a GDB

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

The first thing that changes in battle is the plan.  Well no battle but the plan underwent change - all the shopping was shopped at Tesco (but no 165 seen passing) so no need to visit Waitrose - thank goodness as it would not be fun on a Friday afternoon.  Newly opened (on Monday) Cow Lane bridge in Reading duly negotiated - as expected the change to gradient at the north end is a bit of the sudden side and from the feel of the road surface some lw slung vehicle might have already 'modified' it.

Mrs Stationmaster seemed to enjoy her visit to the dentist - while I sat in a nearby carpark and enjoyed  a copy of 'Railway Modeller' I purchase in a nearby newsagent's.  Apparently Mrs Stationmaster's  new dentist is quite an attractive young lady who she described as 'looking very much like Julia Roberts' -the lad will no doubt be encouraged into making frequent visits to the dentist once he's heard that.  But although his cold is improving he was not in the right food mood on his arrival home from work and rejected his scampi & chips alternative to our fush & chups which meant we all a had smeg instead.  Fush & chups will now be tomorrow as the good Doctor is extremely unlikely to reject the offer of scampi & chips.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl inner Temple hare, 

5 hours sleep I have been awake for an hour,  but can't seem to get any more Sleep. 

Yesterday's plans went as forecast except Dad asked me to assemble a new bird table.  I found it was all raw wood,  so instead I've painted it. Assembly will take place today.. 

Nothing much else planned except a trip to the orange shed,  after Ben the Border Collie's big walk. Mum and Dad have a new three piece suite and have had  laminate floors for years.   The new suite has wheels, as you try to sit, the chairs roll away. Not good at their age... Wheel cups needed. 

Storm Freya is going to make tomorrow's 300mile drive hard work hopefully we can cross  from penrith to scotch corner before the worst arrives.. 

Time to roll over and check the eyelids for a couple of hours before Ben's first walk.. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Maybe one more hours sleep achieved,

Ben has been walked in the drizzle, he's now snoozing. 

No mist this morning,  but it has been raining, 

Gusting 40 now forecast for most of tomorrows long drive.... 

An order for various  mecanichal bits, to cause sideways sliding of many bits of parallel metal with be placed shortly... It's design has been mostly firmed up. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a cloudy place.   After a few days without the fire it is burning nicely beside me as I type.   A good day was had yesterday and the lights above my layout are now up and working (See the layout thread) and my new zoom lens arrived for the DSLR in time for our big trip in a few weeks.  I may even need it to get photos of grandchild no1 as I may not even get a chance to get near the bairn if the females have their way.   Anyway the other task was to download and fill in the necessary forms for exchanging our driving licences.  This has been done but this morning we need to visit the supermarket to get some photos of Beth.  This afternoon I may even get chance to spend time making metal objects move along parallel strips of nickel silver by the magic of electrickery.

Good luck t those who are going to Ketterring, at least you won't find a double deck bus stuck in the snow on the road down to the venue, like we did last year.

Happy birthday to IanA.

Regards to all.

Jamie

PS, Mafeking has been relieved, a shipment of Eccles Cakes arrived yesterday courtesy of some friends who have just come over.   An emergency order for Tea bags has had to be placed with another friend who arrives on Tuesday.  I was accused of not having looked hard enough in the cupboard. 

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Up early(ish) in case my labourer arrives but it is distinctly soggy out there so I suspect he won't be here and it is definitely not a good day so far for bricklaying although improvement is promised for later.  But in the meanwhile Mrs stationmaster has secured an appointment at our local sort-of hospital as here hay fever is giving her a right belting and she needs some prescription stuff which is reportedly stronger than the over-the-counter treatments so I can forget civil engineering anyway for this morning and will no doubt turn my attention to the next chapter of 'Red For danger' while I wait for her.

And many belated happy returns to Ian

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Looks wet and cold outside I won't be rushing anywhere today, I see Mike has broken his record for posting early, happy birthday Ian.

Today was paint spraying day looks as if that's out the window there is some hand lashing of coach seats to be done I will get on with that

Her is now up downstairs watching telly I think she want's me to listen to it as well and I thought I was the only one in the house with

hearing problems. :resent:

I think a second cup of coffee is called for.   K.N.Ackard :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 15

Morning all,

Woken up today with a headache, so a quiet morning planned until it eases.  This may include some servicing of recently acquired locos.  This afternoon, I will also be watching the Leicester vs Wasps rugby .

w

Weather is quite bright just now, but forecast to get very windy later on, and that is before storm Freya makes its appearance.

• Friendly/supportive 16

59 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Thank you. They don’t stock the spares for our fridge though. 

Tony

You said its not a Belgian fridge. How did you determine the parts were available from Belgium? Maybe there is a lesson for all of us there.

• Informative/Useful 7