The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

When do the HSTs from Paddington to Penzance finish?

Going to miss them. Maybe I am becoming an old codger as I do not like the new units. 

The diversions via Yeovil end after this Sunday. Most trains are diagrammed HST until then and reports are that diagrams are matched almost 100% in reality. Once the route via Whiteball is open and the normal timetable resumes most workings will be in the hands of the “marrows”. 

I don’t know of an official date any earlier than the May timetable change and I am aware that there are issues at Long Rock where a 9-car IET does not necessarily fit in the berthing sidings (which for now means that diagrams starting there are still mostly HST)  but with almost all the new rolling stock now in service whispers reaching me suggest the last HST between London and Penzance may well be during March. 

Some local workings in the south-west will be handled by the rebuilt 2+4 sliding-door HST sets. 

I detest the new things as anyone following the Class  800 topic will be aware. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, folks. Man, I sure didn’t get much time for RMweb recently, so I guess even trying to catch up on here will be hopeless. So, first up, may I present my thoughts and sympathies for everyone in need, missing, ailing or suffering in any other way...

Unseasonably balmy out here, though as a downside, I believe I sensed the first vestiges of hayfever this afternoon.

The upcoming day off work will be spent fixing some bits and bobs at FiL‘s. In addition, Elise’s starting at a new employer tomorrow, too, so things remain interesting!

Shift today will end just before midnight, so not that much‘s still left to go.

Enjoy whatever you’re up to! :bye_mini:

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago the company booked most of the staff onto computer courses I was booked on top of my holiday booking and the idiot personnel woman said cancel your holiday I didn't stay in the room 

long enough to give an answer, I never did get to go as idiot woman had paid up front and couldn't get a refund a few weeks later I got my daughter who was 6 at the time to show me, we had purchased a PC a few weeks previous 

I found I was better than those who went on the course they started to ask me how to do things a sign went on my desk I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT P.Cs ASK PERSONNEL today if I can't get it to work I ask my daughter as the gov't spent shed loads of money teaching how to use the things properly when she started her current job or I sit there bashing key till I get a result if not I turn the bl00dy thing off my life does not revolve around a keyboard, I now prefer to go on other forums at least they work correctly with no down time unlike the mess of last month new servers or otherwise it who's operating them that's the problem :gamer:

Anyway back to today I was pleased with my purchase I hope the remainder of the order arrives before I start using the layout once the cold weather has gone, brown points earned at Chez Bob's shredded beef fillet on a bed of fried Chalotte's onions with the usual attachments in black bean sauce Her cleared the plate and said you are getting better with the Wok .:swoon:

Tomorrow more work on the coaches and polystyrene sculpturing.

must get on :superman: Justin Case

Edited by 81C
it looked silly half finished :-)
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had to cancel the visit to SEERS tonight, my friends daughter had an infection and she had a bad reaction to the penicillin. I see Mal has been posting on the Jock 67B cancer ward thread, I'll pop over there after this to see how he's progressing.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening,  another  very large whisky has passed my lips..  I should sleep well to night. 

Coincidences. 

I picked up a Model railway magazine  and classic Land Rover magazine on the way up as I know I'll be awake long before anyone else so I can quietly sit reading.. 

Model Rail has an article about the J 36 class,  of which the survivor is less than a mile away,  and I walked by its shed this morning with Ben and SWMBO. .. No kettles in steam although I did hear the dulcet tones of a diseasal air horn .

Classic landrover has an article about taking a landrover to the outer Hebrides...  In that is a photo of Bheinn Mhor (620M) on south Uist,   which I have walked up, picture taken from Benbecula  from near Borve. 

Borve castle Was The site of a Ww2 chain home radar station... I was stationed on Benbecula  on radar  although on the airfield,  some years earlier I had gone through Borve every day passing the remains of the radar station on the way to school... 

Benbecula was remote In  the  70s and 80s when I lived there,  heaven knows what servicemen posted in from a mainland city thought during WW2.. 

Talking of Bheinn, Ben the Border Collie has been  incredibly good,  we left him for around 5hours to today in an unusual place,  and he has been no problem. He has been rewarded  well with custard cream biscuits. Why custard creams?  Because Gordon loved them and so everyone at the wake was given some... 

• Like 18

Reading that Andre Previn has died, I went looking for this to watch it again:

One particular line from the sketch has been quoted often in topics here, but the whole thing is (IMO) quite brilliant.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Back from the wilds of East Surrey.  Not certain, but I think I saw Mrs Roundhouse on the train out of LB on Wednesday.  She got off before I could say "hi".

Bill

Can you blame here I would as well. :laugh:

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Today has been a bit of a frustrating one. My firs5 task was taking the car in to have the tyre looked at. They were a little busy so I ended up waiting a bit longer than I’d hoped for, but the end result was a repaired tyre at a cost ofless than £10.00. Whilst I was waiting I decided to go into Costco and do a bit of shopping, I finally got home just before dinner. By then it had started to rain, so I decided not to bother going to the workshop and I stayed in and read the latest MERG journal, which arrived this morning instead. Wherein, I read an article describing a new sequencing kit, this looked very interesting and at the princely sum of £1.50 I put in an order for one, along with a few other items too!

Q. I’m glad the funeral went as well as these things can.

Goodnight all 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, bbishop said:

Back from the wilds of East Surrey.  Not certain, but I think I saw Mrs Roundhouse on the train out of LB on Wednesday.  She got off before I could say "hi".

Bill

She gets on at Farringdon and normally gets off at Merstham where I meet her unless its  beer o'clock as it was last night.

• Like 13

Morning All,

The temperature has fallen, and the weather has deteriorated generally.  It's heavy rain and around 9°C this morning.  Having said that, this is much more typical February weather.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

So good he said it twice.

I think he said it twice, because no one believed it was possible... 

Mooring Awl, 

A better nights sleep, 

Ben the Border Collie getting me up and out, he enjoys these longer patrols with strange places to investigate.. 

Slightly warmer than yesterday,  and I can just see across the fifth of forth.

Plans for today, 

Long walk for Ben, 

Minor shopping, I wonder if there is anywhere here that sells MRJ? 

Sketch out plans for a traverser, the rollers need to be fixed in one place with the load bearing rail mounted on the underside of the moving board. 

Short walk for Ben,  

Bed, 

Amounts of coffee,  food,  and TV watching may occur at times between the above ohba hopefully reading about parallel bits of metal.. 

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Good morning and a Happy St David's day to you all. 

Contrary to popular belief, Welsh rarebit is not posh cheese on toast, but a virg*n from Prestatyn. 

So my mother came from Rhyl; the relevance of this post being it would have been here 101st birthday today.

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 16