The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the boring borough. 

Mr Q: hope the day goes as well as it can. 

Work is work and I'll be shifting a lot of my hours to Pacific time in the coming weeks to support some work being done in Vancouver. I ain't travelling though. Thank feck. That'll give me free days and evening work. Today will be mostly unavoidable meetings with time wasting morons. The corporate overlord has decreed that I need to access my email while on the road. (I've been away from my home office twice since last June) With that I've been issued with a new mobile and if EE ever gets their excrement in a group, I'll be spending part of the day configuring the damn thing. Meh. No escape for me now. 

This evening I'll be finishing off some changes on the module and getting it packed for the weekend. Tomorrow I have the day off and a visit to get my eyes tested. Once again the corporate overlord decrees biannual eye exams for employees that use video displays for the majority of their work. Voucher printed and off to Specsavers mid day. Saves me up to £140 so may as well take advantage of it. 

Ian: if you can't get the sensors working, let me know. I may have a spare pair kicking around. They are sensitive bloody things. 

That's about it from here. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well in contrast to the last few days, it’s a dull start here too! I’ve had a glance at the tyre on the car and it isn’t flat, so I assume I have a slow puncture, either way I’ll get it looked at this morning. 

On the subject of knives etc, like most people’s reflexes, I do try and catch whatever it is I happen to have dropped. However, when I was at school, for extra pocket money, I worked part time in a butchers. Whilst there it was instilled into me that if you drop a knife you take one step backwards and make no attempt to catch it, it’s easier to clean a knife, than to clean up a bad wound! It’s a practice I still do to this day. 

Back later. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Up early as there is lots to do I'm off to Alton to collect some new coaches and grab a breakfast on the way out.

Her needs the car for the afternoon she's off for a facial god knows why there is never any improvement, :scratchhead:

I in the meantime will have a play with new coaches once the axle cups have been lubricated. 

GDB look after yourself we need you fit and well for next Saturday we will be going via Blackbushe Airport for a 

Polish breakfast.

must get on :superman: I. Spendalott :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather cloudy and cooler place.   A good day was had yesterday and I even did a bit of basic engineering involving drilling and tapping some steel poles.    This morning Beth is heading for the quack's and I'm driving to save her using her painful shoulder.   Hopefully this afternoon some more time will be spent in the shed.

Q, I hope that your day goes as well as it can.   At least Ben will keep the day on track.

To all others that are in need good wishes especially our new accredited member of the clumsy club.   I also instinctively step back if anything drops.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Robert said:

Agreed!  There is no cloud - it's just somebody else's computer.

....... and here was me convinced that lightening was just another data download.

Morning all.

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

Good Morning everyone.

On the subject of dropping things, it is not just knives one should be wary of; My wife once managed to drop a steam iron onto her foot, which necessitated an evening visit to A&E. The state of the other clients at that time of the day was certainly an eye-opener......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the boring borough. 

Mr Q: hope the day goes as well as it can. 

Work is work and I'll be shifting a lot of my hours to Pacific time in the coming weeks to support some work being done in Vancouver. I ain't travelling though. Thank feck. That'll give me free days and evening work. Today will be mostly unavoidable meetings with time wasting morons. The corporate overlord has decreed that I need to access my email while on the road. (I've been away from my home office twice since last June) With that I've been issued with a new mobile and if EE ever gets their excrement in a group, I'll be spending part of the day configuring the damn thing. Meh. No escape for me now. 

This evening I'll be finishing off some changes on the module and getting it packed for the weekend. Tomorrow I have the day off and a visit to get my eyes tested. Once again the corporate overlord decrees biannual eye exams for employees that use video displays for the majority of their work. Voucher printed and off to Specsavers mid day. Saves me up to £140 so may as well take advantage of it. 

Ian: if you can't get the sensors working, let me know. I may have a spare pair kicking around. They are sensitive bloody things. 

That's about it from here. Enjoy the day. 

First 9 items of my to do list crossed off.

Next will be the layout so will let you know Andrew.

Eye tests - if anyone mentioned getting company to pay for them you were actively discouraged from doing so on the basis we were paid well enough to be bale ot afford it. Not an issue now as I only have myself to pay for it but do need to arrrange another test as its been 2 years since the last one.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning yet again from Estuary-Land. Surprise surprise, the sun is actually shining through the murk at the moment. The bin wagons dawn chorus is in full swing with the lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon in full voice, that must have been quite some party. Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bit of a grey day but the very light misty rain has ceased.  Fortunately the arrival and stacking of 100 engineering bricks preceded the rain although they do need to be moved to a more conveniently sited stack where I hope to gradually convert most of them into a wall, and no - they don't match either of the two previous batches for colour which worries me not one jot.   So as the day has passed, with some signalbox siting and other  information passed to a fellow member of this august body and a delve in part of the forum the only essential left is a visit to Tesco to purchase a newspaper as my lunchtine mushrooms, and some cream for once, are already in stock.

Incidentally being a sort of rather basic user of all this IT stuff I can't quite work out why folk are having difficulty getting here.  All I do is click on an icon on my 'puter screen which opens the main menu of RMweb and then scroll down to the bits I want to look at, anywhere there are new postings since I lasted visited them show in bold.  Maybe I'm some sort of simpleton when it comes to this stuff but all it takes me to get here from my desktop is click - scroll - click - scroll - click and I'm on the most recent page.  If I hadn't wiped it out I also had icon on my desktop which brought me straight here - the Mac created that one, not me so to get here from my desktop just took one click.  

Am I doing something wrong or is it a consequence of years of learning signalbox lever frames and being quite happy to do a succession of things where I didn't need to think about them once I'd learnt the leads?

Have a good day everybody

• Like 16
  • Agree 3

Greetings from LBG where it is trying to rain.

I, too, have had no problems with the new version of the website, and in fact from my phone find it easier to read (and rate) than the old version. Perhaps it is because I didn't have any sophisticated settings and because I rarely say anything worth quoting so have very few notifications!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I don’t have notifications set or thought I didn’t. However I do now get an email for PMs. When I am on this thread I do get a message at the bottom of the page informing me about new replies. It makes a ding noise too. I must suppress that  as I don’t want it waking Aditi up if I am browsing at night!

The man at the bank was really nice but he couldn’t help us but has made another appointment for us with someone who can. 

We were hungry and it was either fast food in Basildon town centre or a quick drive out to nearby rural Essex for a pub lunch. We had the pub lunch option. 

We are not doing anything else today. 

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I really do not like the new RMweb software. It's way too clunky and I find it painful to browse so don't look very far except the first page or two of posts. Normally I am fine with new formats but not this and I have had off forum conversations with others who feel the same. It is better on a smartphone but that's not my preferred method of use due to auto incorrect. I have tried to format the settings but because I use numerous PC's at home I do get fed up trying to format it for each one. The old version was fine but understand it needed upgrading for security reasons.

So not many posts it on other threads which is probably a blessing as very little interest in my  ones these days, layouts are getting old so I suppose it's only to be expected.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Aft’noon all

I too remain unimpressed at the new RMweb in respect of functionality and user-friendliness. I continue to receive a plethora of randomly-timed and often duplicated emails despite having (finally) located the preferences area and selected “one email a day”. I have, for example, received ten ER notifications in the past hour alone which relate to only seven posts. 

Since midday I have been awaiting the plumber. He who promised to attend this afternoon and replace the kitchen tap. The threads are worn beyond redemption and the washer on the hot side is probably a shredded mess as no water will emerge and only a quarter-turn is available. 

No plumber has arrived

I called the maintenance number who, as they always do, promised to call me back. I expressed the hope that their promise was worth more than their plumber’s. Five minutes later and in a break with tradition they did call back. They have, they tell me, found a plumber able to attend between 6-7pm. I hope they have a suitable tap with them. And I hope they turn up. It has been inconvenient carrying water from bathroom to kitchen in pans these past few days. 

And what of Original Plumber promised for the afternoon?   No mention was made. Perhaps he (or she) has fallen into that great black hole which seems to consume so many tradespersons thus preventing their attendance at jobs. 

I am reminded of this great piece by the late Keith Waterhouse

http://omf.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-long-o-lord.html?m=1

In other news. Nothing. Tomorrow is the first leg of my HST farewell trip to Penzance. Whiteball Tunnel is closed meaning we divert via Yeovil to reach Exeter. The Up bore of Marley Tunnel is also closed meaning we stop at Aish to collect a pilotman who happens to be a good friend.   

I’ll check in when I can. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. At the moment it is persisting down but its needed after the relatively dry spell since Christmas. Facebook is playing one of its awkward tricks. On one of the groups I follow its only showing the header but only blank pages where the posts should be. Others have reported the same problem so its not just me. Got to be out sharpish this evening for a SEERS meeting, hope the rain eases off. Thats it for now, be back later. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

When do the HSTs from Paddington to Penzance finish?

Going to miss them. Maybe I am becoming an old codger as I do not like the new units. Our next planned train journey west is likely to be via the Long Slow and Winding Route as far as Exeter to avoid the Marrows. Many I know didn't like the FGW seats in the HSTs but we do. Find them very comfortable compared to the new units.

I can see more trips being made by car in future with a stop off at brothers place North of Exeter.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Or as simply, keep this in your browser history:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/page-9000

It takes me to the last page of ER and will do until we get to page 9001 - some time away yet. 

As for clouds. I think you also have to consider the hidden cost of employing your own IT guys to maintain banks of servers, storage, ancillary kit etc. 

Whilst on the other hand you can't assume that shoving a load of data into a cloud somehow is making you resilient - it is most likely just one set of data. 

In fairness there are quite a few advantages to using cloud.  

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1