The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Strange.  When I clicked to post my last message appeared.  That has not happened before.

A productive morning so far.  Paper read, breakfast, two new tyres on car, brakes given the ok,  a haircut, a walk and back home by 10:30.  There may be more pruning once the sun has moved round the back.  Soft? Me?

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I done a GDB this morning, luckily the only injury was to my pride. On my bedside unit I have an old CD player which is now so little used that things such as boxes of tissues reside upon it. Immediately above it fixed to the wall is a small bookshelf. This morning I accidently knocked the 'open' button on the CD player flipping the box of tissues down the back of unit. After a bit of a scrabble I managed to retrieve the box but in doing so managed to bang my head on the bookshelf. As a suggestion what about GDB wearing a cyclists helmet? but please, PLEASE no lycra.  

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, BoD said:

Morning all

Strange.  When I clicked to post my last message appeared.  That has not happened before.

This happens when you either leave a page before it finishes loading or cancel an unfinished post. You just have to clear the box using the button at the bottom of the page.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Speeding,

Failure to stop behind the white line at traffic lights, ( by half a car)

Failure to indicate while turing left,

Speeding,

Failure to stop behind the white line at traffic lights, (by half a car)

Speeding,

Failure to indicate while turing right,

Speeding,

The faults of one car in front of me in an 800 yard stretch of roads on the way home.

A BMW M6 with a very heavy right foot.. 

With respect (tongue firmly in cheek!!) that makes perfect sense to me, the owner obviously hadn't purchased the OPTIONAL instrumentation and indicator/turn signal package.

99.995% of the BMW and Audi owners over here haven't either :jester::jester::O

'ello, 'ello... what's all this then :)

Actually not MUCH it turns out - a barrage of new reports required by the Long Island client as a result of;

i) The auditors demands

ii) CFO being let go/replaced by a new guy who has apparently decided that a desk full of financial reports doesn't cover everything he wants to see :o 

At least it keeps me out of trouble...

Commute in was going well - for the first 2 miles - then apparently a driver decided to question the physics of two objects occupying the same space and time :( in the FAST lane of the freeway. Fast rather subjective on Long Island in rush hour so at least no-one appeared hurt, the vehicles, however, will need some surgery!

-3 and sunny here, rather an improvement over the -21 overnight at home!

Continue the good work all...

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, AndyID said:

I thought Cardiff was supposed to be quite genteel compared to Swansea, but by the sound of it Glasgow might be safer than either of them.

Yes prefer Glasgow of a Saturday evening to both of those Welsh cities. Many superb bars and a few good breweries aswell including one next to Tennants https://www.drygate.com/

Afternoon all. Been a busy morning taking Mum to Ikea and B & Q then back to wash all the Devon seagull poo and red soil off the car.

Now servicing of HO stock for the Freemo meet this weekend continues.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I'll be missing for a couple of days, at a Diocesan Trustees meeting, not too far distant from Ian (Roundhouse).  Back Friday.

Bill

I hope the accommodation is suitable. When we went to Maynooth last time we were given the visiting bishop’s suite. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I see  Gwiwer's young lady brought the temperature with from Australia. Kew  has the highest temperature today. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I see  Gwiwer's young lady brought the temperature with from Australia. Kew  has the highest temperature today. 

The Hill of Strawberries (Rear Terrace) beat that with 25C recorded as I sipped my chilled white medicine in our little sun-trap. I even found it necessary to wear the sunglasses and suitable protection cream. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Trying to sort out a diary for the rest of the year. Swap meets, exhibitions and various other none railway events. Next on the agenda is the Brentwood swap meet on the 9th Mar. followed by Alley Pally. More modelling tokens required.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Odd name for a pub.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

Which reminds me of a bar I used to visit in New Jersey called "The Library".

When I was a trade union rep the union (GMB) held courses at their establishment at Whalley Grange in Manchester. The building was a former None Conformist seminary. The bar was the former library and the actual bar itself was built from the original library bookcases. I wondered what the strictly teetotal None Conformists would think of that.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

When I was a trade union rep the union (GMB) held courses at their establishment at Whalley Grange in Manchester. The building was a former None Conformist seminary. The bar was the former library and the actual bar itself was built from the original library bookcases. I wondered what the strictly teetotal None Conformists would think of that.

When we lived in a Yorkshire village, the modern houses on the other side of the street had been built on land sold by a local church. All the houses had covenants prohibiting all alcohol in the house. Fortunately, that didn't apply to houses on our side of the road, built at the same time.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well this morning’s Sainsbury’s Grand Prix and this afternoons Waitrose Grand Prix were quite a costly exercises (although the Waitrose one not quite as bad), which is usually the case when I’m accompanied, I spent more than when I complete the task alone, why is that? Anyway, the cupboards are now groaning full. Not a lot else happened  here since then. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 14

Morning All,

It is a fairly chilly -1°C this morning, but according to the weather forecast it is likely to reach 20°C this afternoon - making it the warmest February day ever.

On the subject of non-conformists - my Dad had a colleague back in the 70s who used to keep a small address book of cheap places to stay while on business trips.  He reckoned he could stay anywhere in the country without spending anything more than some ridiculously small amount of money.  My Dad travelled with him a few times and said they ended up in all manor of flea pit B&Bs, non-conformist hostels and temperance hotels.  He said it was certainly an interesting experience - but strangely enough, nobody wanted to take the book over when the guy retired!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another dry warm sunny day is forecast.

Kernackered after helping Steve with the driveway yesterday morning. My days of knocking up muck by hand seem to be over and I had to leave most of it to him.  (and it was only a few bags to set some edgings)

Sean the shed man didn't come but instead sent Rhys the other shed man. This turned out to be a good thing as Rhys is the guy who supervises the erecting etc and seems to think he can save me money so a revised quote should be winging its way to me in the next day or two.

Today we're starting off with a visit to Sainsbury's. Can't wait!

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Morning all

Chilly start but looks like another glorious day in prospect - shame I will spend the best part of it at work! We are, at least, so busy that the days are going quickly!

Managed to finish off another Cambrian LBSC open last night, this one with a sheet rail.

Have a good day all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, trisonic said:

Just wanted to come on to pay tribute to Mark Hollis - the great unsung hero of English rock music. "The Spirit of Eden" is on my top 5 list of greatest albums. It's wonderful.

Lots of obits seem confused as to where Talk Talk came from. According to my memory they were formed when all of them were living in the Wickford, Essex area.

RIP Mark. He knew when to stop.

Best, Pete.

Good to hear from you Pete. Hope all is well.

Morning from another sunny one. We had an earthquake, a magnitude of 3.00 this morning at 03.40 . I didnt feel it but heard the ceiling creek in a way I hadnt heard it before.

Might be doing more rubble shifting later but plenty to do to get the alyout ready for this weekends Freemo meet.

• Like 18