The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

Man flu here

Did he land in the garden?

Seriously, I hope you and all the others suffering this cold and subsequent viral infection recover quickly.  We all had it over Christmas, so you can imagine what five sickly adults were like, especially as they were trying to cater for two sickly (grand) children.  Please don't make me play with the Duplo trains again:  You know how the children keeping changing the track plans.

Much external clearing has been executed around the perimeter of the hippodrome. Muddy Hollow (Forward) provided welcome wading and now the twigs and branches have been evicted from the bottom of the hollow, much wallowing is now on the cards as the puncture risk has diminished.

After considerable thought, the spirit of Beeching  is to visit the South Horton Irrigation Tramway.  However, like the L&B, it will sleep, until awoken in a new format.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Wishing all ERs suffering with various lurgies a swift recovery.  

I thought we were here due to start getting the warmer weather today, but it hasn’t materialised.  Today has been breezy, cool and a little damp.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  I have done a detailed car inspection in advance of its MOT tomorrow, so am hoping that it passes OK.  Then part of the afternoon has been spent working out wiring diagrams for the first of my two layout control panels.  This panel is the one that will allow switching between DC and DCC, and also control of a shunting yard by either its dedicated controller, or by either of the two main circuits.  The diagram is now down on paper, and will hopefully convert easily to the actual panel.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A Juno it trying very hard to dislodge the few remaining leaves of our oak trees.

One is so grateful it isn't a Chinook.

Once in the Falklands a Wokka (RAF speak for Chinook) pilot thought it would be a really amusing idea to hover over the building in which our crewroom and offices were situated. It was............. until the roof started lifting off that is. Fortunately we managed to call air traffic and get them to move him before it became a real disaster. Boy, did he owe us some beers!

Dave

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A Juno it trying very hard to dislodge the few remaining leaves of our oak trees.

One is so grateful it isn't a Chinook.

During the what I suppose was Gulf War 2, two or three Chinooks used to fly near our house each week  before heading south across the Thames. On one occasion they were lower and nearer the house. I was talking to a neighbour, looking at the helicopters and lots of stuff fell off the shelves in his garage. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Funny 16

BIN day, BINs already serviced!

So, "RECORD SMASHED" according to the local rag. Indeed, yesterday we got around 9" of snow (mileage varies between 8-11" depending on locale) and we beat the 1962 standing record for February snowfall by 5+ inches!

Those complaining about no snow in January better blqqdy well get out there and enjoy it now :jester:

In other news, Long Island client ramping up changes/additions to "everything" as the auditors plow their way through the mess books.

Nowt much else to report, choir practice tonight will get me out of the house but not much else will!

-11 and cloudy as I struggled to find the paper in the snow banks :O expecting to reach -4 for the high.

Carry on...

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Picked up my Euro-lottery winnings today, £4:40, so I'm going to spend spend spend. Didn't notice any bin wagons dawn chorus this morning but the bags have gone so they must have been in stealth mode. Dinner to get ready so I'll be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, 

Attended a former colleague's funeral today - a mix of sadness and a celebration of someone's life well led. 

Among many other achievements, her contribution to military aviation medicine ("Ut secure volent" ) was celebrated and remembered by remaining colleagues; albeit we're a dwindling number now. And our labs, long gone, are now under a housing estate.   

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all (again) from Estuary-Land. Planning our trip to the Tenterden show this Saturday. Of course I've checked that the K&ESR is running, it is but buying tickets for what will be half a day is not viable but theres plenty of events later in the year that should do. You can use your tickets twice, that is for two different dates if you book on-line but its a bit late now for this weekend.

• Like 13

Evening all,

Well I now have another BR 50 sitting in front of me - I think I had better stop at three!  Also a Prussian van with an almost flat roof, which together with the Abteilwagen will break up the profile of the Thunderboxes in the local train.  Funny how the Germans like order and symmetry, whilst the British are the converse.

Also a lot of flexitrack, so I spent the afternoon in the garage painting it "weathered wood".

Keep well all, Bill

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been a beautiful sunny day here in the northwest, it’s been so warm that I’ve had the workshop door open most of the day. More progress has been made on the L class loco, mainly working on the loco’s two bogies. However, I’ve now come to the conclusion that I need to do a bit of work on my test track, it was made a few years ago utilising some old second hand Hornby track and points and. Think the points are well past there sell by date, as the bogies keep derailing on the frogs. I have some new Peco stuff in storage and I tested a couple of new points the other day and everything seemed to run fine. So, I’m going to rip up all the old track and replace it all with some new track over the weekend. Hopefully then, I’ll be able to get the engine to stay on the track a bit better. Other than that I’m very pleased with the progress so far, but it does seem to take me a lot longer to build a kit than I first thought. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - undershelf light unit in the kitchen duly replaced this evening after the tube in the old fitting went phut.  So why replace the fitting you may logically ask and not just the tube?  Because we had only a spare new LED unit and that meant a new fitting which meant removing the clips for the old fitting, putting in the clips for the new fitting, finding the new fitting was shorter than the old one so one clip was now in the wrong place, getting a screw for another clip into the rather tough underside of the unit (that Dremel is a really useful bit of kit), and finally clipping in the new fitting.  It worked!  And many thanks to the Good Doctor for her assistance but does anyone know of a suitable training video for a ratchet screwdriver because my explanations and demonstrations seem not to have entirely registered.

Now who'd have thought it Ian (Roundhouse) - a Bristle boy but obviously from a posh part because you can pronounce 'area' without leading people to think of part of a receiving apparatus for radio or tv signals :sungum:

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Very late visit..apologies been off grid as part of the walkabout. 

Our c ough and b ark continues despite various potions being taken.

Hope Chris is enjoying the Antipodes.

Thoughts are with all who ail

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now who'd have thought it Ian (Roundhouse) - a Bristle boy but obviously from a posh part because you can pronounce 'area' without leading people to think of part of a receiving apparatus for radio or tv signals :sungum:

Closed in 1959.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitchurch_Halt_railway_station

I wasnt born in Bristol as Dad's work relocated him from another city to the Bristol office. We lived 12 miles south in a village that had no railways so Whitchurch was one of the closest but closed ones. We then moved when I was 10 so very little accent picked up.

Good morning all - off to the L & B today to have a ride on it then some research at Blackmoor Gate for the new layout. Quite handy that the old station is now a pub. My other half may have to do some driving from there.

• Like 17