The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sorry to hear you are under the weather.

I wanted to ask whether you managed to see any of the Tornadoes that were on yesterday's finale flight around Shropshire and North Wales.

It was a pity it was all straight and level stuff:  T'would have been nice to let them run through the Mach loop one last time.

Those engine intakes look huge as one heads towards you while driving along a road in Scotland. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sorry to hear you are under the weather.

I wanted to ask whether you managed to see any of the Tornadoes that were on yesterday's finale flight around Shropshire and North Wales.

It was a pity it was all straight and level stuff:  T'would have been nice to let them run through the Mach loop one last time.

Howdy Hippo,

No, I didn't see the GR4s yesterday but heard them when I was in the vicinity of Cosford. My own Tornado variety, the F3, disappeared a while ago of course. As you say, a pity they didn't pay a last visit to the Mach Loop - always an enjoyable ride and our preferred route to Anglesey when transiting from Coningsby to Valley providing the head shed would sanction low level.

Thanks for the sympathy.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Howdy Hippo,

No, I didn't see the GR4s yesterday but heard them when I was in the vicinity of Cosford. My own Tornado variety, the F3, disappeared a while ago of course. As you say, a pity they didn't pay a last visit to the Mach Loop - always an enjoyable ride and our preferred route to Anglesey when transiting from Coningsby to Valley providing the head shed would sanction low level.

Thanks for the sympathy.

Cheers

Dave

I would have liked to see the Tornados yesterday and I've been wondering if Uncle T (Dave and I know who he is) managed to see them.   He was heavily involved in their introduction into service as one of the lead Test Pilots and also flew them in Gulf War 1. I hope that he did manage to get out to see them.

I managed to escape yesterday afternoon and went trainspotting with a mate.  We went to our usual place where the Classic and TGV lines cross and had a very good 2 and a half hours.   I managed to see my first class 186 and we saw a regular infrastructure train heading north with a 22XXX hauling 2 dead diesels and a 27XXX as well as its train.   Lots of TGV's and a good call.     This morning it's sunny and I've done some clearing in the woodshed, moved the trailer up there for rubbish collection and then cut 3 mortices and a tenon.   A good morning's work.   I now have two of my three bench leg units assembled.   

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Indeed so. # = number sign, pound, hash (and sharp for musicos, though technically the sharp (♯) is a different angle, also geometrically equal and parallel).

On my American English keyboard it appears over the number 3. On the ancient typewriter I once used I believe that space was occupied by the currency pound sign (£) - still a pound, as in British English keyboards. Australian typewriters offered both the $ and £, (like a UK keyboard) but I honestly don't remember exactly on which key they were placed.

# was commonly referred to as pound even in tech circles until the last decade or so, and is still referred to as pound on a US telephone keypad, (where the asterisk is called "star").

When the Bell Labs folk introduced the # key to phones they christened it the 'Octothorpe key' as it had eight points. Technically it should still be referred to as that in telecoms circles...

I do love correcting people who call it a hash, what on earth is a hash?

Andy G

Edit: I'm not actually sure, but it could well be that the symbol was actually devised by Bell Labs...

Edited by uax6
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

EGood Dafter Noon

Here I sit

Quite disgrunted

Booked a plumber

Who hasn’t fronted

If we had Delay Repay for no-show or late-running tradespersons the entire industry would probably go bankrupt overnight. I accept there are reasons for being late just as there are for trains to be delayed. But when they ask for, and you provide, a contact number it would be polite to make use of it at appropriate times. 

I didn’t need a hot tap in the kitchen anyway. I can carry pan-fulls of water through from the bathroom at medium risk levels. 

Rather better day at the House of Fun. The only interpretation required was from a group of Chinese visitors seeking “Kee-wah Garden”.  Kew, of course. 

I’ll pop the early morning shot (non-posted) of the first open daff-upon-the-Hill in here again. Lit by one of our ornamental grounds lamps. 

And would you believe it as this post was submitted the telling-bone rang ....... guess who???  Mr. P.  Lumber now expects to be here sometime after 3.30. For a midday appointment!  

AF8D959B-A86A-4E1E-BD35-FAB67E899851.jpeg

Edited by Gwiwer
The Plumber Cometh!!!
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It refers to the vast majority of military equipment I've had the misfortune to wear or operate.

And there was little ole me think that it was something you made with corned beef.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

He who bashes g00lies on gate learns (hopefully) the lesson. The closed gate TEACHES him said lesson.

Into what has the English language degenerated? One of my colleagues recently asked if I could borrow her a pen; I replied no, but I'll lend you a pen!

You're (sorry, your! ;) ) joking ME; this comprises OF; all get my goat! OH, and what's a hashtag? I've always known it as a sharp or hash!

Sorry folks, rant over!

Said he of little humour. :laugh:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All 

At Chez Bob tonight it's Stir Fry Duck, I was doing Saffron Chicken but the kitchen porter (SWMBO) put the Chicken in the freezer and left it there.  :banghead:

A fatal thing happened today the new credit cards turned up in the post one with Her name on it I will have to be vigilant with the spending on this card as she will get carried 

away with a new method of payment, the Pratt West cards have been cut up and we have washed our hands of the worse bank in the world.

Today many hours have been spent on the brass coach sides going onto their donor coaches the third one will be finished today if it's warm enough outside tomorrow

they may get splattered with primer & undercoat easy painting these ones, the two full brakes will be GWR all over brown and the Composite brake will be wartime GWR brown

a further Airfix "B" set if there is time will also get the wartime treatment to see how they turn out I don't want to wreak two brand new one's just yet.  :paint:

R Stein   :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

We went into a bank today. Aditi always had her salary paid into her bank account and I had mine into mine (not the same bank company) . They are both joint accounts but it has been useful when one goes down with IT problems. We had to identify ourselves at Aditi’s bank with our bank cards. Aditi never uses the credit card issued by her bank, fortunately I knew the pin! 

Anyway we have shiny new current accounts and an extra 0.15% on another. I was careful not to accelerate too quickly on the way home in case I used up a whole year’s interest in petrol. 

Tony

• Like 11
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Well, I didn't get the job (PA to NHS Deputy director), but I did get some really good feedback and considering I always dread interviews, it was nice to hear that I interviewed very well on this occasion. The job went to another candidate with more experience in the end, but I'm not too disheartened. 

Reminds me why I left the NHS (outpatients admin manager) - you might have had a lucky escape!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

29 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Reminds me why I left the NHS (outpatients admin manager) - you might have had a lucky escape!

Been there and done it once before! - I was a Project Support Officer (fancy title for PA/Receptionist/Admin Dogsbody) for 3 years until I took voluntary redundancy when the Primary Care Trusts were axed. A lot of politics there, certainly!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It would appear that not all the schools in the area share the same holidays, as by mid morning the pool was quite busy, plenty of young mums and their kids. Thankfully the staff opened up the kiddies pool and it alleviated the larger pool. However , there was a lane set aside for swimming only and for quite some time I had it to myself. So, despite the fact that it was busy I still managed to do 100 lengths and several single under water lengths too! Hopefully next week it will be back to normal. 

Well I hadn’t been home long when it started to rain! There wasn’t any forecast so it came as a bit of a surprise, but thankfully it stopped just before now took the grandkids home. As is usual when I feed the grandkids curry, nothing was left, not even a poppadum or naan bread, but I suppose I shouldn’t complain, they all have hearty appetites. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17