The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Hmm.. Got the date for Brother in laws Funeral (middle of next week), now arranging time off of work.. Whilst reading through "activity" , found out the Scottish show is on the weekend after the funeral,  it's only 45 minutes from my parents house.....can I? How many brownie points will it cost???

Edit got the wrong week end haven't I:wacko: it's the weekend before the funeral now trying to rearrange...

Is the "Scottish show" spoken of in a similar way the "The Scottish Play"?????

However, it's certainly well worth a visit.   Troutons from my old club is going.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, lightengine said:

The trouble with this notion is sometimes the service provider is the only one in the area.  Probably not in Tony's case, but in a more rural area.

We had a milkman that couldn't be ar**d to open the gate, he just left it "available".  He was the only milkman in our area.

There are as others have suggested plenty of garage door fitters round here. However some of them would appear to be less than reliable. The first two included one just glanced at the properties and made up a quote and never replied afterwards. The other one spent a considerable time measuring up and afterwards kept giving different prices every time he was rung up. Very disorganised but we have seen his work. He eventually didn’t respond when asked for proposed fitting dates. The third lot did send a salesperson round who explained about their product. We all said we wanted to go ahead. I don’t know why they didn’t come on Monday as arranged by my neighbour. Round here many of the garage or gate fitting enterprises are operated by people who used to do other driveway related services.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There are as others have suggested plenty of garage door fitters round here. However some of them would appear to be less than reliable. The first two included one just glanced at the properties and made up a quote and never replied afterwards. The other one spent a considerable time measuring up and afterwards kept giving different prices every time he was rung up. Very disorganised but we have seen his work. He eventually didn’t respond when asked for proposed fitting dates. The third lot did send a salesperson round who explained about their product. We all said we wanted to go ahead. I don’t know why they didn’t come on Monday as arranged by my neighbour. Round here many of the garage or gate fitting enterprises are operated by people who used to do other driveway related services.

Tony

And some of the quotes come with a timing.

In a months time will the price of the door and it's fitting really have gone north so substantially that the quote has to be given a sell by date like dodgy ham.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Round here many of the garage or gate fitting enterprises are operated by people who used to do other driveway related services.

Tony

Tarmac your garage door, sir? 

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Tarmac your garage door, sir? 

Something like that. Powerwash your property is the current popular offer. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a bright and sunny south east corner.

Received a nice email from TV Licensing this morning telling me that they are sorry to let me know that my TV Licence could not be automatically renewed. Not surprising really bearing in mind that I have not held a TV licence for many years. Think the last time was around 1976.

Like the way they suggest that I set up a new direct debit by clicking on the "Setup direct debit now" button  and pay using my debit or credit card ensuring that they have my correct bank details...…..

Hopefully nobody clicks on the button.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Funny 3

9 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Good morning from a bright and sunny south east corner.

Received a nice email from TV Licensing this morning telling me that they are sorry to let me know that my TV Licence could not be automatically renewed. Not surprising really bearing in mind that I have not held a TV licence for many years. Think the last time was around 1976.

Like the way they suggest that I set up a new direct debit by clicking on the "Setup direct debit now" button  and pay using my debit or credit card ensuring that they have my correct bank details...…..

Hopefully nobody clicks on the button.

Keith

I fished 2 of these out of various spam traps the other day. Sadly there are enough gullible people online to fall for it. Considering they don't even have any of my email addresses, it was a no brainer. Checking the real TV Licencing site I see they have already been made aware of the same and a warning is on the home page. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think I have held a tv licence for years either since they went online!

The scam stands a good chance of being successful as such a high percentage of the population has a TV licence. 

Tony

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Belurgied. Or is it Lurgified to the max?

Whatever, I am, and I have come home to boil my head or something, I really do feel carp.  Yes Mike, sinuses....Kleenex sales on the up, and coughing so much my solar plexus is in agony.  Froat (see 'Wright Writes') feels like sandpaper too. Off to bed.  Boing.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Round here there is of course only one Milk man, when he dropped to every other day and not Sundays, we dropped him, you may as well go to the supermarket.

As for building trades  being in the top right hand corner of Norfolk 2/3rds of the area around me is water, so not many traders there. The nearest is not surprisingly Anglian windows  or Homes as they call themselves now about 25 miles away.

If the repaired garage door I have left fails, I'll make two conventional opening doors, I can't believe who thought that up and over doors were a good Idea, they have many more moving parts that fail than  conventional doors, they reduce the height into the garage, and have sticky out corners just right for doing a GDB,

Powerwashing my driveway would be interesting.... just where would the mud and gravel go?

Power washing you roof to clear moss is a current fad around here...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13

5. Torquay/Turkey reminds of when I worked at Reading Booking Office and a passenger wanted to go to Tavistock. We looked it up and confirmed train to Plymouth and then a bus. He was a bit disconcerted by the fare we quoted, that was when we found he was actually going to Tavistock Place, London !

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

greetings all from a fairly sunny LBG, a bit of cold wind out earlier as well. Still fairly spring-like and I noticed at the weekend that we had crocuses growing in the lawn.

I would have pronounced eyot "eight". Probably picked up from the boat race coverage.

And Tony S, Aditi was quite right in the derivation of "ey" meaning little island. Well known ones include Ely (originally El-ey), Athelney (where Alfred the Great hid after he had let the cakes burn), Romsey. The internet says that Swansea too derives its ending from this.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I had a 7 ton Lorry arrive outside my house asking where the station was... I pointed out he had passed it 40 miles away in the other village of the same name as the one he had just passed through.

When we first moved in, our couriered parcels often used to another village as the same name as ours also 40 miles away but in a different direction..

it's been common for people to set a gps for a village name and get the wrong one sometimes hundreds of miles apart, how many Suttons are there?

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, caradoc said:

5. Torquay/Turkey reminds of when I worked at Reading Booking Office and a passenger wanted to go to Tavistock. We looked it up and confirmed train to Plymouth and then a bus. He was a bit disconcerted by the fare we quoted, that was when we found he was actually going to Tavistock Place, London !

Americans in London are sometimes misled by the destination “Oxford” on coaches which depart from outside Victoria “train station” and other places. Being accustomed to dropping the “Street” suffix and simply heading for “24th and 4th” quitr a number have been surprised at the fare and journey time to Oxford Street

13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t know if it is an urban myth or not but people have gone to Stratford in East London instead of Stratford on Avon by rail. 

Not at all an urban myth. Tony might recall my references to having lived there for some years. Stratford (east London) even has its own Theatre Royal though that is always known as the Theatre Royal - Stratford East. But a regular stream of bemused visitors exits the “train” or “subway” station there trying to match their guide-books to reality. I was asked how to reach Anne Hathaway’s Cottage several times in a year.  And invariably, it seems, by Americans. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t know if it is an urban myth or not but people have gone to Stratford in East London instead of Stratford on Avon by rail. 

Just down the line, TfL has had to install signs and maps at Abbey Road DLR for lost tourists looking for a certain Zebra crossing. The bulk of lost people tend to be Chinese tourists. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

And also the other way perhaps.

When my parents moved to outer South East London, the person responsible for buying my ticket home bought a ticket to Hayes & Harlington rather than Hayes (Kent). Somehow, I still got home.

Next station along the mid-Kent is West Wickham, frequently confused with the one in Buckinghamshire even though that is spelt differently (and has a different meaning).

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

And another thing or two.  TheQ mentioned lorries and it jiggled my memory. 

One. In Stratford (East) a lorry pulls over, the driver’s mate leans from the cab and casually asks “Norwich is a Bess why acne?”  Which translated reads “I say old chap. Are you able to tell me the best route to Hackney?”

Two. In deepest Cornwall a delivery van stops up ahead, the driver hops out and accosts me in a thick South Wales accent with “Look you. Can you tell me the way to Ith-Logan, boyo?”

I couldn’t fault his logic. The village of Illogan has a double L which he prounced as he would in Wales. Except in Cornwall it isn’t the same, and neither is the sound of the o; the locals would call the place “Lugg’n” 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Before satnav it wasn’t unusual for deliveries intended for The London Borough of Havering offices in Romford to arrive in the village of Havering-atte-Bower. To be fair the village was in Havering Borough. 

When touring New England, Aditi and I realised we were each referring to a different Concord when planning a route. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Is the "Scottish show" spoken of in a similar way the "The Scottish Play"?????

However, it's certainly well worth a visit.   Troutons from my old club is going.

Jamie

I'm going with New Bryford for it's last show in my stewardship (it has been sold)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. We were pestered by people offering to power clean drives, gutters and roofs, until a few months ago then they seemed to have disappeared. As it happens a retired trading standards officer has moved in a couple of streets away, I suspect the two events are connected.

• Like 12