The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

My empathy is offered to anyone still enlurgied (is that a word?  It is now) as I am yet to fully recover from mine.  

I would probably say belurgied, but that may be a Canadianism.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Morning All,

It is a reasonably mild morning in this part of the world.  We are also seeing the first signs of Spring, which is nice.  However, I am not sure that we have definitely seen the last of the snow - it is probably too early to count on that!

Time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Editor cleared....

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

A poor nights Sleep, more like an extended doze with many interuptions...

Ben the Border Collies Patrol was extremely well lit with a full moon, and the start of dawn arriving. Very chilly but not frosty, Having driven in the landrover I still need to warm up...

According to the radiowomble, Dawn for us is actually 07:10, with a 4 minutes a day time change is won't be long before the great Fried egg is seen A.M.

Part of last nights lack of sleep was brain decided to go into overdrive thinking on details of fitting the window. A stroll down the garden had found a choice of three windows  3ft by 2ft 6 inches each, one has been selected and is now by the Garage.  The long thin windows (two of them)  were in too poor a condition to use,, It has been held up to the wall to see the best place, I may well fit it sideways on, as 3ft is two breeze block long, and therefore more convienient to fit.

Time to take a wander down the lab acuddle a hot instrument warm up..

• Like 14

Just back from a nice meal at son and daughter-in-law's, followed by a hot tub, under an almost full moon, with snow on the ground round about, and a couple of beers in hand. I should sleep well tonight.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Clear sky here and a fine, dry day is forecast.

This is good as I'm due to help SiL Steve with creating a parking space for Abbie's car. He has appointed me Project Manager so I won't have to do much physical stuff which is just as well given the state of my back this morning. There is a fair bit of digging required which will be done by him and Joe. I'll be supplying all tools as he hasn't got any and wielding my trusty demolition hammer drill to remove some small concrete fence posts and possibly making and drinking tea.  Some items of PPE are available and will be deployed so I don't burn myself whilst boiling the kettle. (Thought I'd get that in before anyone else does). :banghead:

Have a good one,

F.D. Ibnah

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 10
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

A bright and sunny land fit for hippos greets the eye here in N Salop this morning whilst Mug O'Coffee kick starts the still dozy system. We're off to see some friends today who may be familiar to some Webbers - Pete Kibble who some years back had a lovely little S7 layout called Severn Mill on the exhibition circuit and his wife Jackie who used to run Modellers' Mecca in Kingswinford. We'll probably have lunch in the old station at Codsall and at some stage SWMBO and Jackie may well go and do some of the retail therapy thing much loved by the fairer folk and disliked by my wallet.

Have a good day everyone; thoughts and prayers for those in need.

Dave

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny here now but I was informed it had been frosty earlier. 

The person who was supposed to give us a quote for a new garage door didn’t turn up, now coming Thursday allegedly. 

Tony

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It's a little cloudy here at the moment, but due to brighten up later, it's definitely trying to. I'll shortly be off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand prix. This afternoon I'll be busy making a curry sauce for tomorrow nights tea. 

Back later 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning all

Tony_s I would be looking for another tradesman if that one can't be a*sed to quote, what chance getting a proper job done. 

I agree totally. Unless he gave a very good reason, if the man can't be relied on to turn up as promised what chance is there of him doing a good job on time?

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a bit late on parade but I was up betimes this morning despite the mist that's still around.   I set off to the mower place and he was open this morning.  He's going to give it a service and clean the carb. The mower was one of many garden implements left behind by a 'lady' aka the poison dwarf, who had a pile of stuff stored in the shed when we bought the place.   She was a serial liar and was somewhat erratic in paying the storage fees (60 cubic metres of stuff).   After a lot of hassle she got most of the stuff out in September last year but I retained quite a bit in lieu of rent.   The Honda rotary mower was one of these items so was essentially free to us.   This is our first spring here and we are noticing all sorts of flowers coming up all over the garden near the house so do not want Eric to go over the area with his mini tractor.  The Honda will enable us to cut that area with a little more discrimination.  We could have a very good display of daffs.   Anyway the car is now attached to the trailer and ready to pick some stuff up from a neighbours.   After that it will be lunch and then an afternoon's trainspotting near Ruffec.   Yippee.   Beth has just set off for the supermarket so I'm home alone.   I might well head for the shed and cut some mortices.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Clear sky here and a fine, dry day is forecast.

This is good as I'm due to help SiL Steve with creating a parking space for Abbie's car. He has appointed me Project Manager so I won't have to do much physical stuff which is just as well given the state of my back this morning. There is a fair bit of digging required which will be done by him and Joe. I'll be supplying all tools as he hasn't got any and wielding my trusty demolition hammer drill to remove some small concrete fence posts and possibly making and drinking tea.  Some items of PPE are available and will be deployed so I don't burn myself whilst boiling the kettle. (Thought I'd get that in before anyone else does). :banghead:

Have a good one,

F.D. Ibnah    BOB THE BUILDER NO HE CAN'T

GDB have you alerted the local hospital you might be paying them a visit. :laugh:

Morning All 

On the move early today we are off to Alton for retail therapy SWMBO will no doubt be wanting me to drive all over Hampshire to find another bloody tin peacock for eldest daughters birthday, yes don't ask.

Modelling supplies will be purchased and any new GWR coaches that might have arrived some of them are on Hornby's website to buy, Her no doubt will head for the frock shop and Boots as my powered tooth

brush is on it's last legs we might even partake in having lunch out somewhere.

must get on enjoy your day :superman: Parker

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hmm.. Got the date for Brother in laws Funeral (middle of next week), now arranging time off of work.. Whilst reading through "activity" , found out the Scottish show is on the weekend after the funeral,  it's only 45 minutes from my parents house.....can I? How many brownie points will it cost???

Edit got the wrong week end haven't I:wacko: it's the weekend before the funeral now trying to rearrange...

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A nice bright sunny day and the last of the frost is only there because it's in the shade of next door's house and retaining wall.   Kev and his mates will have to put up with leftover cat food today but they dined well on chicken bones yesterday giving us a sort on miniature Red Arrows display but with very deep diving in and careful navigation for the climb out - very impressive stuff.

As the weather seems likely to stay reasonable we have decided to walk down to the town/pub as we're meeting a friend coming down from London on the train.  after the pub lunch we'll stroll back up the hill to partake of the scones Mrs Stationmaster is assembling in the kitchen - they will go in the fridge ready to be cooked when we need them.  Bang goes any sort of dietary thoughts yet again but it will be no alcohol for me as I have an INR test tomorrow and I don't want to foul up the numbers (again).

Enjoy your day one and all and may those afflicted by the lurgi at least have a comfortable time if not starting to recover.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning (yet again). What I thought were sparrows in the adjacent thorn bush have turned out to be coal tits. They are creating quite a racket, it only goes quiet when the magpies are around. The thorn bush is quite large, thick and is pretty much impregnable to anything larger than a small bird anyway.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

This is the third lot of garage door suppliers that we (four houses) have tried. We will get there in the end I suppose. 

Tony

Checking the local Thompson's/Yellow Pages there seems to be quite a few options for garage door fitting so there is plenty of choice.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It is indeed a little island so she very definitely wasn't making it up.   I found, rather to my surprise, that according to an OED link on the 'net, 'ait' was an alternative acceptable spelling, possibly an older form?

The Thames Eyot featured on a house buying tv prog some years ago.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

Sunny here now but I was informed it had been frosty earlier. 

The person who was supposed to give us a quote for a new garage door didn’t turn up, now coming Thursday allegedly. 

Tony

I got a quote. 

Over the phone. 

He didn't do a site visit.

I didn't use him.

I did think of asking him for an electric roller door.

Our electric supply is 80 metres away.

• Like 5
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I agree totally. Unless he gave a very good reason, if the man can't be relied on to turn up as promised what chance is there of him doing a good job on time?

The trouble with this notion is sometimes the service provider is the only one in the area.  Probably not in Tony's case, but in a more rural area.

We had a milkman that couldn't be ar**d to open the gate, he just left it "available".  He was the only milkman in our area.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7