The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Morning all.

Quiet yesterday, working away fairly peacefully...

Same today though we're supposed to go to a "Happy Hour" this evening. May be a pass on that as it's expected to snow all day, we'll see how we feel later.

-6 and light snow, 2-3 inches fresh snow already on the ground.  high expected to make it to -4! :jester:

Carry on :good:

9 degrees and partially sunny so been in garden for a while. Also been to recycling point to dump a load of old railway leaflets but been burning Southern Railway (the one that's part of GTR)ones- more fun and makes me feel better for all the misery they gave us the last few years.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I've always been too busy sailing to go and get any paper certificates.

Lol.  I reckon that 90% of my sailing qualifications were gained being assessed whilst on the water.

These days, qualification that have a paper trail are now required by most youth training organisations, as they are seen as proof of competence  which has been independently assessed.

This is especially necessary where you have activities which include potential risk to the individual.

As an aside, when it comes to shooting activities, I have public liability insurance via my BASC membership. I have also taken out a further personal policy for public liability insurance when I work independently at game fairs and the like.  For the latter, the insurer demanded proof of qualification before I was granted insurance cover.

Being out on your own as  a very experienced and competent person is fine,paper qualifications don't matter, But it is a completely different ball game when you take on the responsibility for others.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 13
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Just read Mal's post as well,   nice to read he's being looked after well.  He has a good surname:rolleyes: I wonder what tartan my kilts are:)

With moving around all the time,  there was no real point in me getting certified for sailing teaching.  Once I retire in 4 years,  I'll get certified for rescue boat duties as required  by our clubs sailing school.  Then I'll help on their Thursday afternoon /evening sailing school.  I won't however do the teaching,  I have little patience with children,  not having had any.. 

Shooting..  If you've got a barn door.. Stand in front of it,  I won't hit it...  Though a shot gun will be somewhat different to a SLR... 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Or, in Birmingham, for putting twisted nails into rifle stocks. This technique has since progressed and widened as the Brummagem Screwdriver. And for some of the engineering round the city, it shows.

Is that the same as a Manchester spanner.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Is that the same as a Manchester spanner.

Jamie

And the Glasgow scewdrver.

Meanwhile I've corrected this post from Ian (RH)

3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Also been burning Southern Railway (the GTR one) - fun and makes me feel better for all the misery they gave us the last few years.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Will go and read Mal's post next.

AndyID - be thankful!  Still, the wrist sounds a bit nasty, but I would say you have made the correct call, better done sooner rather than in a few years when healing may be slower.  I feel like I have aged 10 years in the last 2 and I suspect I'm a few years younger than you. I have healed 'better than expected' but that's not to say it's 'mended'. Again, things could be a lot worse - ref Mal, Debs etc.

I'm with Andrew P for games - useless.  I can race a motorbike though, although I no longer do so on track.  Well, only VMCC 'test' days.  Ahem.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all, 

It  took several coffees to get into the swing of things this morning. 

Having done my expenses I don't know if the accounts dept. will reject them once they spot I had carbs during three consecutive meals yesterday - there''s much interest  in my diet around the company! 

Not quite got the energy to wield a scalpel onto card and printed paper tonight due to fear a GDB incident.

So, a bit of telly and ready for another early start.  

• Like 13
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

-6 and light snow, 2-3 inches fresh snow already on the ground.  high expected to make it to -4! :jester:

Must feel like spring to you, Ian. We started off at minus 4 this morning, it's now about minus 2. Lots of snow yesterday and overnight, about 10 inches in total. It's still dry and fluffy, so I've been shovelling the drive - three times so far. The snow's at that weird stage where it's easy to move, except where it's been compressed by feet, tires etc. - then it sticks hard to the drive.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I did my good deed for the day and went and set up the neighbour’s new Mac computer. I didn’t transfer the files as a nice man at Currys had told him I was wrong and sold him a different memory stick. Of course it would wouldn’t fit in the original  pc. I will finish it when the stick specified by me is obtained. 

Tony

• Like 14

59 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I suspect I'm a few years younger than you.

Thanks Neil. I'll be 70 in April. Yikes! I told the surgeon it was ironic that I had just returned from a week skiing in Utah and Colorado. He said I had just passed his stress test .

• Like 8
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm 10 years behind you.  Won't be doing any skiing any time soon though! 

The bone density thing (DEXA scan) we were talking about the other day was a bit amusing as they were determined to prove I had osteoporosis 'because of my age'.  Wrongggg.  Bone density was very good.  Passed that one!  Injury was due to falling on my ar$e.  We will share the T shirt.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

Will go and read Mal's post next.

AndyID - be thankful!  Still, the wrist sounds a bit nasty, but I would say you have made the correct call, better done sooner rather than in a few years when healing may be slower.  I feel like I have aged 10 years in the last 2 and I suspect I'm a few years younger than you. I have healed 'better than expected' but that's not to say it's 'mended'. Again, things could be a lot worse - ref Mal, Debs etc.

I'm with Andrew P for games - useless.  I can race a motorbike though, although I no longer do so on track.  Well, only VMCC 'test' days.  Ahem.

I liked a bit of soft earth under me, that's why I did Trials and Moto Cross, mind you I did start doing a bit of Running / Training for the Moto Cross.

103200116_CanadaHeightsSwanleyKent001.jpg.57f9df5d6186817f238c9d60d0247385.jpg

2133574242_Honda150004.JPG.38f1fe5ccac162271affaf85a00c5462.JPG

• Like 19

8 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Greetings all from a greyish LBG. Today sees the MiL depart, having been down since Friday.

In terms of sport I was in the Primary School football and cricket teams but then went to a rugby playing school and although I was quite good at the catching and running bits, the tackling bit hurt and I took up cross country. It was a no-brainer for me; I won the very first race I was in, an intra-form cross country race, and ended up with school colours (it was a state school that thought it was a public school). I also ended up with knackered knees, and haven't entered a proper race since I finished 10th in a 10k organised in Paddock Wood. I suppose my annual excursions in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge might be included too. The only sport I played regularly as an adult was cricket, where I learned to make the most of my fairly limited skills by opening the batting in various Northamptonshire leagues.

Has anyone worked out the school, given the clues in my last two posts?!

Judd?

Bill

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Being born and raised in Wales, and now living in the sister country of Cornwall, can I just ask what this 'football game' is please?

It WAS the game in which William Webb Ellis allegedly 'picked up the ball and ran' at Rugby School in 1823.

It has, IMHO, become more like a bunch of over-paid actors kicking a pig's bladder around a green park, IMHO. (Also known as 'soccer' in some colonies, I believe.) (I am not a 'fan'!)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

We haven’t done much this evening. We watched one of the Lucy Worsley American Fibs programmes we had recorded. Then for extra excitement later this week I booked online a blood test. No one else seemed too want a blood test after 11 on Friday morning so that was simple. Just routine, to make sure my medication is a) working and b) not harming me. 

There will be tidying and preparation of meals tomorrow. One of Aditi’s French group speakers will be coming to stay overnight. This one is talking about cycling in France. She is bringing her husband to assist with the talk. I was tempted to ask if they had a tandem. I think going to the group has helped Aditi’s French. Strangely when she orders food she sounds hesitant but not when she is chatting about other things. She said it is because she is usually still thinking about what she really wants to eat. 

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve had a busy old day in the kitchen today, I’ve made 24 miniature Victoria sponges and a vanilla, white chocolate and black currant cheesecake. All I have to do is decorate them, which I will do tomorrow morning, as it’s school holidays, I won’t be swimming, as the pool will probably be very busy with lots of kids jumping about.

I’ve just read Mal’s post, it’s absolutely inspirational. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1