The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

5.5 hours good sleep followed by some intermittant dozing on the sofa..

Semi frosty this morning, at the start of the partol with Ben the Border Collie, the frost was only on the roof of the car and half the landrover bonnet.  When we came back the frost was 1/3rd  down the car windscreen and covering more of the landrover bonnet..

Cross country.. the first secondary school you ran out of the front gate down the hill on the foot path, turn right up the lane dodging any tanks. turn right at the top where the tanks went on for their own version of cross country. Then along the lane back across a field then illegally across the Tidworth Branch line, although by this time it was a mere headshunt for the Perham sidings. Then back into the school, not that far but if the PE teacher was being a b....... d he sent you all round again. I note the headshunt has now gone on google earth and the field across the track has now been turned into the sports ground as they have built the new acadamy on the old sports Grounds

The Third secondary School  cross country was pounding around the tarmac pavements of Inverness, one or two of the pupils used to bail out part of the way round into their own houses for a while, then take a short cut out through their back gardens..

If the PE teacher was being enthusiastic at either school and ran with you, I always got grief for not running like a lunatic at the start, however by the end I was always overtaking many..

The Same happened in the RAF at RAF swinderby,  (Square bashing) where they had you run round the airfield in 11 minutes. I at the start would get a PTI yelling in my ear to hurry up at which point I would slow down.. I always finished inside the 11 minutes though..

Although several jobs I have had have emphasised team work Especially the RAF, I've never done anything but work on my own. Even when going out as a team installing systems, we all had our own jobs once there and got on with it..

Time too.. Take the next measurment (100Mg ohms..) Sitting on my own in the lab..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

Morning all.

Muggacoffee on the go before work. Last night saw the van and one of the opens given their transfers, so just couplings to go and then they will be complete.

Also getting a final coat of paint last night was the bedroom which we have started, meaning tonight we can build the bed which is currently cluttering up the hall.

Whatever you are up to today, hope it goes well

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a place that seems to be getting sunny, though I still can't see the lower half of a tree in the  idle distance, this could be due to fist and mog or maybe someone pinched the lower half.  Someone also seems to have pinched the ridge I normally see to the south west.  I hope they bring it back later.

Anyway I got a few little snagging jobs done on the kitchen cupboards and then in the afternoon got the first leg unit finished for my work bench.  Two more to do then to do the top.   I'm enjoying cutting mortices and tenons. It's satisfying when something goes together without fasteners though I will cut a few oak wedges to reinforce the joints.

No orders have yet been posted for today as the officer is still in bed.   However the plan is that once she's set off to the supermarket, two friends are due to arrive to play trains then the three of us are going out for lunch.   I might even get a bit of time in the shed with a  soldering iron tonight.

Thoughts of all those ailing, the list is rather long, and also hope that Chrisf has arrived safely down under.

The lesser spotted Grey bin lorry has just done it's stuff outside our bedroom window so no doubt my peace will be shattered shortly.

Regards to all.

Jamie

PS, having just read the 3 new replies above, that were posted while I was typing, there seems to be a theme emerging. This is that though many of us worked in jobs that were thought of as 'team work' we managed to spend a lot of time working on our own.   I was certainly part of several teams during my career but spent long periods of time working on my own and thoroughly enjoyed it.  However I knew that if I ever shouted for help that every member of the larger team would bust a gut to come and assist.

Edited by jamie92208
PS added.
  • Like 16

Morning All,

I am quite a bit later on parade this morning, I decided to come into work a little later as we are testing and it is likely to go on a bit this afternoon!

The weather is fairly mild at the moment, but I am not sure that Spring is on the way yet.

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Have you ever flown from or to London City. That is “interesting” too. 

It certainly is!  It is one of the few airports that has a 5° glideslope as opposed to the usual 3.5°.  The runway is also uncommonly short, which is why "larger" (relatively) airliners need a special certification to land there.  The most commonly seen example was the Quadrapuff (BAe-146 and its later derivative the Avro RJ), but now that these are no longer manufactured one tends to see Embraers.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry with a blue sky and sunshine and a fairly fine  day is forecast although it may cloud over later.

School sport was a big part of my early life. Played football at and for my primary school and then went to a rugby playing grammar school, found that that was a proper game and never looked back at the round ball.  Played for the school every year at rugby, cricket and also swam.  After school played Sunday  club cricket for a couple of years but gave that up as there was too much else to occupy me. ("Too much else" aka The Boss as we'd met when I was still at school)  Continued playing rugby though  for a local club until I mangled my ACL at the ripe old age of 32. Always wished that I could have continued on as some of my mates did, one even until his late 50s.

Today will see us visiting Sainsbury's briefly to get some extra food for Joe and Gemma's weekly after school visit.

After that I have some paperwork to wade through as we're having our wills updated.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The fist and mog is gradually lifting and I can now see the top end of our road although St Trinians the oligarch's palatial pad on the other side of the valley is still not properly visible.  Today is bin prep day getting the recycling bin's contents sorted ready for collection tomorrow - what this actually means is rearranging stuff that has simply been chucked into it in recent days to create far more room and adding a large cardboard box which I shall first reduce to smaller than its component parts in order to get it in while taking up virtually no room.   Unlike some neighbours we very rarely put out an additional bag of stuff on recycling week but I reckon our bin is often much fuller of 'stuff; instead of fresh air than theirs.  Today's other  big event will probably be a Tesco visit and it will be interesting to see if the surgery really did produce a prescription for the stuff they wouldn't give me one for last week (0.5mg warfarin) because I hadn't had any for the past two years.  A pleasant chat with the receptionist yesterday has hopefully produced some action - we shall see.

Have a good day everybody.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright sunshine here this morning with a bit of high cloud predicted but no rain though. I might be going to the Tonbridge show this Saturday, if my friend feels up to it as he has a cold at the moment. C&C's to all, be back later. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, TheQ said:

Sailing even better,  a sport you can sit at. 

Having gone all the way through the RYA dinghy syllabus and qualified as an instructor, I came to the conclusion that I would have made a pretty good gymnast after the duck/stretch/pull/push/ crouch moves.  On more than one occasion I also went splash.

Having  crewed for a helmsman of a racing catamaran who dropped the leeward bow under the water whilst on a broad reach also resulted in an impromptu flying lesson (and the requisite water landing).

There is a lot of truth in the old adage that it is more fun, quicker and more profitable to stand in a cold shower ripping up £20 pound notes.

However, dinghy racing was the only sport in which I was competitive. The rest I just did for fun

• Like 12
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

I trip to my local independent DIY shop was fruitful and I came away with a new hammer shaft for the prickly sum of £2.99. Once I’d fitted the head I was able to complete the bracelet I made yesterday. I then carried on working on the L class loco for the rest of the day.

I am interested to see the technique you use with the hammer on the L class.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Her was up early and wanted to go food shopping, as I've been conned into 2 cooks this week normal Wednesday and Thursday

for this Valentines day nonsense I need to get the ingredience as she won't bother to look for it.:tender::threaten:

I see the handbags are flying in the Accurascale threads the usual culprits, it looks like one in the eye as well for slow coach DJM yet again. :biggrin_mini2: 

Must get on it's almost lunch time.:superman: A. Slave 

Edited by 81C
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am interested to see the technique you use with the hammer on the L class.

I was taught the technique of making tubes out of flat metal with a hammer when I was at school. That would be useful for making cylinders. However I wasn’t very good at it. I find the main use for a hammer is taking out irregularities in track laying. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

First off, all posts have been read and rated, and generic greetings are offered to all - with a special mention to John (CB) that I am pleased to see that Sandy's progress appears to be continuing - good news indeed.

30747 at work 5 days this week - wonderful.  LASAR still closed, but at least I have been advised that the volunteers are needed later this week, as the donations are continuing to come in and need sorting, pricing, and the electricals need PAT testing.

Patient group at the GPs this afternoon - something which I always try to attend, as it is very useful indeed to know what is happening.

Back later/tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I was taught the technique of making tubes out of flat metal with a hammer when I was at school. That would be useful for making cylinders. However I wasn’t very good at it. I find the main use for a hammer is taking out irregularities in track laying. 

Or, in Birmingham, for putting twisted nails into rifle stocks. This technique has since progressed and widened as the Brummagem Screwdriver. And for some of the engineering round the city, it shows.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having gone all the way through the RYA dinghy syllabus and qualified as an instructor, I came to the conclusion that I would have made a pretty good gymnast after the duck/stretch/pull/push/ crouch moves.  On more than one occasion I also went splash.

Having  crewed for a helmsman of a racing catamaran who dropped the leeward bow under the water whilst on a broad reach also resulted in an impromptu flying lesson (and the requisite water landing).

There is a lot of truth in the old adage that it is more fun, quicker and more profitable to stand in a cold shower ripping up £20 pound notes.

However, dinghy racing was the only sport in which I was competitive. The rest I just did for fun

I've always been too busy sailing to go and get any paper certificates..

I gave up on little dinghies some time ago, sitting crunched up under the mast in a single hander with no wind is a killer on the knees, hiking out is just too much for my back.

I've managed to avoid flying lessons, though swimming used to be common..

So for some years I've been sailing boats with a large lump of cast Iron hanging underneath, Shortly to move to my own rebuilt design of boat roughly based on one of these.. Though 2 ft longer, with a normal shaped hull  (for the broads) and not to metre class rules

yandy28570[1].jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

Or, in Birmingham, for putting twisted nails into rifle stocks. This technique has since progressed and widened as the Brummagem Screwdriver. And for some of the engineering round the city, it shows.

I learned just over the border in Solihull...

• Like 11

Greetings all from a greyish LBG. Today sees the MiL depart, having been down since Friday.

In terms of sport I was in the Primary School football and cricket teams but then went to a rugby playing school and although I was quite good at the catching and running bits, the tackling bit hurt and I took up cross country. It was a no-brainer for me; I won the very first race I was in, an intra-form cross country race, and ended up with school colours (it was a state school that thought it was a public school). I also ended up with knackered knees, and haven't entered a proper race since I finished 10th in a 10k organised in Paddock Wood. I suppose my annual excursions in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge might be included too. The only sport I played regularly as an adult was cricket, where I learned to make the most of my fairly limited skills by opening the batting in various Northamptonshire leagues.

Has anyone worked out the school, given the clues in my last two posts?!

• Like 10

Greetings all from a greyish LBG. Today sees the MiL depart, having been down since Friday.

In terms of sport I was in the Primary School football and cricket teams but then went to a rugby playing school and although I was quite good at the catching and running bits, the tackling bit hurt and I took up cross country. It was a no-brainer for me; I won the very first race I was in, an intra-form cross country race, and ended up with school colours (it was a state school that thought it was a public school). I also ended up with knackered knees, and haven't entered a proper race since I finished 10th in a 10k organised in Paddock Wood. I suppose my annual excursions in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge might be included too. The only sport I played regularly as an adult was cricket, where I learned to make the most of my fairly limited skills by opening the batting in various Northamptonshire leagues.

Has anyone worked out the school, given the clues in my last two posts?!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Being born and raised in Wales, and now living in the sister country of Cornwall, can I just ask what this 'football game' is please?

It is a game played with a non round ball with almost points at each end played by 7, 13 or 15 players. Nobody feigns injury as others may well walk all over you while you are on the ground.

The game of soccer  an be played by 11 players each side using a round ball who feign serious injury if anyone comes near them..and the professionals get paid lots more money than actors do...

Baz

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

Morning all.

Quiet yesterday, working away fairly peacefully...

Same today though we're supposed to go to a "Happy Hour" this evening. May be a pass on that as it's expected to snow all day, we'll see how we feel later.

-6 and light snow, 2-3 inches fresh snow already on the ground.  high expected to make it to -4! :jester:

Carry on :good:

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1