The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning al,

We too are getting some sunshine so the study curtains remain firmly drawn over the window to allow me to see the 'puter screen.  I doubt any outing today will be more exciting than Tony's - the only difference being that I shall be going out for the 'paper the milk having been duly delivered during the night.  Andy (B) I reckon you'd be better off going to Paris - the lad started about an hour earlier than you fr your jaunt north east but he was home well before 22.00 notwithstanding the Class 374 having an electronic  hissy fit in the vicinity of Hondeghem and arriving 15 minutes late in consequence thus missing his planned train from Paddington.

Anyway enjoy your day one and all and I wonder if anybody can answer my question about deleting the notifications I've already received as I see the 'new software' thread has bitten the diust. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

More walkabout today. Coffee drunk..food eaten..

Rick my thoughts are with you. As the "Head of the family" I can have the odd occasion which makes me wonder about my "older" (& younger) relatives. I am not a confident agony aunt!

Neil  the new software is very like other forums. I have got rid of the email notifications and can now get rid of notifications by looking at what it is notifying me about.... must be my age(!!!)

Have as good a day as you can

Baz

On walkabout

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

but still can't understand why they are allowed to get away with not putting the ball down the centre of a scrum. They seem to be able to throw it directly to their own hookers.

Nigel Owens, the ref is usually very good with put ins that are not straight.

On one occasion he has told the sc(r)um half that:

'I am straighter than that put in!'

• Like 7
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

As Dave Hunt has commented a lot of yesterday's seemed to go straight to either the hooker or the second row.  Several French ones seemed to be thrown in at an angle of about 45 degrees.   However I would agree that Nigel Owens did a very good job yesterday.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Noon All

Three cheers for Nigel Owens, He is one ref that lets the game flow providing the discipline is there it did stray a couple of times but on the whole most of the other players stepped in to quell the situation/s.

Her has cheered up she has not ventured near Curry's yet,  we were discussing finances I broached the subject of money for the new sofa's & modelling tokens to be transferred from a stash to the current account

she signed them off happily. :swoon: 

Laters Stavros :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Is that seriously a quote from Nigel Owens? Not that it would surprise me. As a good ref, he knows that keeping a sense of humour helps the game go well.

As to put ins at the scrum (and lineouts for that matter), there seems to be a conspiracy at the top of the game to ignore it. As a former 2, I hate it.

Sadly, I was on my way to Stansted and missed the game. Reaction here in the local shop this morning was something to see! Headline on Midi-Olympique is "Waterloo". I think it must just be a conspiracy to take media focus off Pres Macron. 

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Is that seriously a quote from Nigel Owens? Not that it would surprise me. As a good ref, he knows that keeping a sense of humour helps the game go well.

It was but it was a crooked throw at a line out:

Here are a few more Nigelisms:

Best ref by far in world rugby IMHO.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I don’t really have much interest in rugby but one thing I have noticed. Our local park used the have football pitches but they are rugby pitches now. When wandering past the  games , the lack of abuse directed at the rugby ref is very noticeable compared to the football ref. Also they pick up their rubbish. 

I did did go out for milk. Benfleet seemed deserted. 

My interest in my railway may be getting a bit of a boost. Ages ago I did realise I didn’t really have any suburban type coaches so fortunately they seem to be in the currently available ranges rather than hunting through eBay. Perhaps the very slightly warmer weather will encourage me to find something suitable to trundle them round the layout. Though as it hasn’t been used for a while (I did clear all the tools and recycling off it) it will probably need the track cleaning wagon to go round a few times. 

Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t really have much interest in rugby but one thing I have noticed. Our local park used the have football pitches but they are rugby pitches now. When wandering past the  games , the lack of abuse directed at the rugby ref is very noticeable compared to the football ref. Also they pick up their rubbish. 

I did did go out for milk. Benfleet seemed deserted. 

My interest in my railway may be getting a bit of a boost. Ages ago I did realise I didn’t really have any suburban type coaches so fortunately they seem to be in the currently available ranges rather than hunting through eBay. Perhaps the very slightly warmer weather will encourage me to find something suitable to trundle them round the layout. Though as it hasn’t been used for a while (I did clear all the tools and recycling off it) it will probably need the track cleaning wagon to go round a few times. 

Tony

What you say about respect for rugby refs may be true in the UK. Not in France!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Morning all.

Back from our trip to Chicago, congratulations and commiserations as necessary - a LOT of posts to try and work my way through.

Trip was very good, play was outstanding (even if it's probably not QUITE as historically accurate as some believe - on investigation there seems to be some contradictory evidence!) as entertainment it was great. A full day on Thursday at the Art Institute of Chicago can be recommended, I did NOT realize just how many well known pieces they have in their permanent exhibit.

Partook of various eating establishment offerings, all worth the visit, last being a German restaurant "The Berghoff" oldest restaurant in Chicago apparently, reminiscent of a beer hall. Great food and beer their own brews.

Managed a Merc GLC300 for the rental ride home and have to say I was unimpressed. I'd NEVER pay the price for that vehicle, wasn't as comfortable as many others I've rented recently...and hardly could be described as "user friendly" controls for pretty much any of the equipment! Oh wll, good thing I wouldn't spring for one I guess :)

Returned to 8 inches of snow the day before we came back, very cold over the weekend with another 6 inches of snow yesterday, and more due later today. We're now "on track" for our normal snow levels, having got about 32 inches already this season, just about 3 inches shy of the average so far.

Back working this week <yawn>.

-10 overcast and expecting -4 for a high and snow overnight.

Carry on...

Ah the Berghoff. Been visiting that bar ever since our second trip to Chicago back in 1991. Great place. They didn't allow women in till the late 60's which luckily is way before I first took my other half in there. Unfortunately its not open Sundays so couldn't pay a visit on our last trip in 2016.

Regarding the forums new software I keep having issues with it, latest was it overfilled my pm folder suddenly from around 70% to 128%so no one could post new pms but could still reply to old ones. Its also a pain whrn typing on a moblie as kerp scrolling above where you are typing so apologies for more typis than I normally do, hence why I am not posting do much.

anyway back to my pint in a recently reopened pub in Tonbridge after a visit to Hastings

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The mystery of the bus on the narrow estate roads is explained. The police cornered some criminals on the main road with a road block and traffic was diverted. My neighbour informed me of this lunchtime. I did hear the 'blues and twos' but being so close to the hospital I tend to ignore them. A parcel arrived today from Hong Kong, a neat little truck model, well pleased. Now time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

What you say about respect for rugby refs may be true in the UK. Not in France!

13 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Ref is still normally addressed as "Sir" over here.

It wasn’t a nice place to walk with children when football was played there on a Sunday. 

I wouldn’t know about rugby anywhere other than our local parks.

When I was at school it just seemed to be an excuse for staff to assault pupils. The alternative I took was cross country running, or quiet jog round the park as it would have been described nowadays. 

Tony

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Morning all.

Back from our trip to Chicago, congratulations and commiserations as necessary - a LOT of posts to try and work my way through.

Trip was very good, play was outstanding (even if it's probably not QUITE as historically accurate as some believe - on investigation there seems to be some contradictory evidence!) as entertainment it was great. A full day on Thursday at the Art Institute of Chicago can be recommended, I did NOT realize just how many well known pieces they have in their permanent exhibit.

Partook of various eating establishment offerings, all worth the visit, last being a German restaurant "The Berghoff" oldest restaurant in Chicago apparently, reminiscent of a beer hall. Great food and beer their own brews.

Managed a Merc GLC300 for the rental ride home and have to say I was unimpressed. I'd NEVER pay the price for that vehicle, wasn't as comfortable as many others I've rented recently...and hardly could be described as "user friendly" controls for pretty much any of the equipment! Oh wll, good thing I wouldn't spring for one I guess :)

Returned to 8 inches of snow the day before we came back, very cold over the weekend with another 6 inches of snow yesterday, and more due later today. We're now "on track" for our normal snow levels, having got about 32 inches already this season, just about 3 inches shy of the average so far.

Back working this week <yawn>.

-10 overcast and expecting -4 for a high and snow overnight.

Carry on...

Aaaarh. Its posted twice when I tried to edit it.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Ref is still normally addressed as "Sir" over here.

He certainly was during the brief period when I was obliged to attempt playing rugby. It was mandatory as a winter games activity for the first four years of high school. 

Not only was it refereed by some of the more athletic teachers (all of whom were addressed as “Sir” unless one required detention) but one was also international rugby referee Roger Quittenton. Quite what he thought of having to turn out and keep order among the Third Teams - those left over after the First and Second teams and who usually lacked any will or motivation to get wet, cold, muddy, bruised and exhausted in pursuit of a slippery plastic egg was never public knowledge!  

In fairness “Q” normally refereed First vs. Second Team games leaving us in the hands of either a nearly-retired English master or the deputy head of Games who was as incomprehensible a Welshman as could ever be found east of the border. 

In other news SWMBO is due back from Cornwall very soon in honour of which some Domestic Engineering has taken place. New tenants have been met moving into one of our flats and the invitation to join us for beverages hot or alcoholic extended. 

Best wishes to awl. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

We were lucky with our rugby coach. His name was Bob Bateman and he was our History master. He played for Rosslyn Park,  West Hartlepool and Durham at various times and was a tough no nonsense teacher and coach. Best teacher I ever had and I learnt a hell of lot from him, both on and off the field.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

26 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It wasn’t a nice place to walk with children when football was played there on a Sunday. 

I wouldn’t know about rugby anywhere other than our local parks.

When I was at school it just seemed to be an excuse for staff to assault pupils. The alternative I took was cross country running, or quiet jog round the park as it would have been described nowadays. 

Tony

We had a games teacher who liked to get fully involved with his pupils in both rugby and cricket.  However, he always seemed a bit accident prone, so when we was tackled in rugby he was often injured, and I remember bowling to him in the cricket nets and hitting him where it hurts!  He was wearing a box, but from his reaction, it was still pretty painful!

Nice sunny day here today, so there has been some pottering in the garden, which has included digging up some carrots, turnips and leeks.  We will have the latter for tea with a home made quiche.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

My school PE teacher was Johnnie Dee..ex Hartlepool Rovers, Durham Cou ty, England and British Lions centre. He didn't help with technique in the scrum as he, like a few referees have little clue as to what goes on in the scrum.

The hooker can't play like they used to its all to do with elf and safety. Hence the ball going into the second row now ..follows the precedent set by Rugby League who have also banned pushing in the scrum....pah!

Ian A ..I am not a fan of mercadadees either. Expensive ..yes, comfy.. no, human friendly..no apart from their Van's which are good.

Baz

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Following Ian’s post about the Mercedes I looked at photos online. The interior does look a bit “busy”.  Before buying the Ewok I did look at some Mercedes online but never got as far as going to the dealership. As I have mentioned before the modern Land Rover vehicle seats are very comfortable, well at least for my back. The only problem I had was that I was getting out and accidentally touched the seat memory button and started being squashed as it moved to the position for Aditi. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Had the same trouble as you Tony one of the games masters Jones for fun would put all the small guys up against the large members of that year he used to bait the biguns to knock the sh!te out of the little lads he couldn't make out why no-one touched me as I was a small one until one day I got whacked round the back of my head by him and my nose bled over my shirt Dad wanted to know who I had been fighting with I told him about the games master he dragged

me back to school unfortunately for Jones he was still the and the cocky B'stard came out and confronted dad he went to push him and he ended up on the floor 5 times Jones got up and six time he went down by this time his face was a mess and thought better of getting up again top it all dad booted him in the goolies, Jones went to the police it was funny how no one had seen dad punch him and the police weren't interested they knew dad would not just set about someone for no good reason, Jones was still purple after 2 weeks when he showed his face back in school the bullying by these Welsh games masters stopped the day Cocky Jones got his lights punched out,

BTW dad used to spar with Henry. 

Edited by 81C
typo
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

What always surprised me was that perfectly nice maths or geography teachers who helped with PE had a complete character change when they put their rugby kit on. My brother never went to PE or Games after about the age of 13. PE didn’t seem to know he existed, amusingly he got a report with satisfactory each year. PE staff only knew the boys who played rugby. 

By the time I started teaching PE was a reformed subject. I converted a lot of PE teachers who couldn’t run about anymore into IT teachers.  They were always interesting.  

Matthew was so uncoordinated due to his dyspraxia but the PE staff at his school were really good.  He always got a good effort grade, probably due to not caring about being muddy or wet. 

• Like 15