The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I had DEXA scans when I was approaching 50 and was told I had the bone density of a 90 year old. However a few years of medication restored something close to normality for my actual age. Mine was due to long term steroid use. 

After she fell (well to be accurate pulled over by the dog) and broke her wrist Aditi asked about osteoporosis as her sister and mother have had treatment. However Aditi was fine. Her sister hated milk so when they were little she made Aditi drink hers up too. Aditi is convinced that her early consumption of dairy products gave her strong bones!

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Bit more rain this evening but Spring might indeed have sprung as Mrs Stationmaster was able to get the washing out on the line for a few hours this morning although my shirt that was there looked at times to be billowing around like a part inflated barrage ballon (a very small barrage ballon that is).

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

53 of 126, wow almost halfway. Glad to read that there is some improvement. 

Regards

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I noticed in the last half hour a surprising amount of traffic outside so I looked out to see a large bus (40 foot) turning from the road that runs alongside my house into my turning. It required a fair bit of shunting to get around the turn but the driver did so in the end. I can only assume that there must be a blockage on the main road.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I do worry about johns postings... They seem to be accompanied by an Anne Summer's advert,  just what is he trying to say? 

Evening Awl, 

For those of you that were bored enough to watch "escape to the country " this afternoon, you were at one point watching where I've been this evening. 

During the badly presented section on the broads,  every time it looked inland across some moored yachts,  the roof and building in the background is the "Pleasure Boat Inn" on Hickling Broad, where I've just had a very nice meal,  with live entertainment.  

They were standing between the Pub and Hickling broad sailing club. 

The excuse being a lady at SWMBOs art group was having her birthday party,  she was hoping for 20 to thirty to accept  the invitation , 59 did!!! 

The entertainment was that lady's husbands group.  He turned out to be a surprisingly good singer,  as we're the two others joining him, even though one of them was a stand in due to illness. 

The tunes were on the Rocky side of country, moving later on into 1960s music,   ""bye bye love "etc

The pub is decorated  with much sailing and fishing references,  I was sat below a cotton jib,  fitted with reefing lines to brail up the lower section of the job.  Something I've not seen in many a year... 

One other thing it is decorated with is a photo of the Duke of Edinburgh,  he stayed there  with Prince Charles in the 1950s on shooting parties. That won't be happening again as most of the Broad came into the hands of the NORFOLK Wildlife Trust last year.. 

The pub was also used in the film "conflict of Wings" aka "fuss over feathers " in the USA,  for once a film based on the broads actually filmed there.. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

48 hours to getting my troublesome Gall Bladder and stones removed, wish me luck...……………..

I'll repeat what I've said before.  The actuary I worked with had to have his removed. He consoled himself with the knowledge that if he survived the operation he'd be rated normal for insurance purposes.

It's one of the oldest operations. Sam Pepys had it ("cut for the stone"), after which his diary became much more interesting.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  just got bullied by a dog to go outside for his patrol,  he walked 20ft added to the vast amount of water falling from the sky, while I stood in the rain,  then he ran back to the door... 

Now trying to get comfortable on the sofa... 

• Like 5
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a place where something is blowing a gale outside though I've no idea what it's called. We had a good day yesterday and some cupboard door were put back on, the last three are to be done today along with a little bit of snagging.  I spent a couple of despite the rain and wind we will be venturing out to the market for a bit of shopping and a second coffee.   After that it will probably be a bit more shed time before some time on the sofa watching the goggle box. 

Thoughts very much with all those that need them.

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

The wind has dropped and the rain has stopped although more is forecast. It may brighten up later this afternoon. Hope so as there is a rugby match being played at Twickenham and I'm hoping that England can repeat last week's performance. However the French must be smarting after losing to Wales in Paris last week and they certainly aren't going to roll over. The other two games were watched yesterday and the results were as I expected but Wales were not that convincing although that was by no means their best team. I expect them to be considerably better and extremely dangerous against England in Cardiff in a couple of weeks time.

A cooked breakfast will be consumed shortly but because I'm trying to lose some weight I'll have poached eggs instead of fried. That will make a very small difference but it will persuade me that I'm still making an effort!  :rolleyes:

Have a good one,

N.O.W. Illpower.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Currently recovering from a visit when still in bed earlier on from a six year old who thinks that a really good way of starting the day is to jump up and down on Grandad. Not sure what the weather is like outside here in Surrey as I haven't yet recovered sufficiently to open the curtains. Son is currently manufacturing coffees (more accurately lattes, which I think is the newspeak for coffee made with milk) so I may be in better shape to face the world when it has been consumed.

The bad news is that when England are, hopefully, beating France I'll be attending aforementioned granddaughter's  song and dance show in Epsom so I'll have to watch a recording.

Good move on the poaching rather than frying GDB - I too am working towards getting down to eggsactly the right weight.

Have a good day everyone.

Dave

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

but Wales were not that convincing

That is an understatement, especially as they are currently ranked third in the world.

As you say it wasn't their best team, but not to pull in a bonus point for tries scored against Italy, who are reputed to be the weakest team in the six nations, might come back to haunt them later on in the  tournament.

Perhaps it was my perception of the match, but things did improve considerably when Alun Wyn Jones came off the bench.

The Obergrumpenfuhrer and I are off to Japan to see Wales in the Rugby world cup (Group stages) this coming October.

We can only hope that they pull their collective socks up and start playing high level rugby rather than messing around as if they are kicking the ball around a school field. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The rain has currently stopped but I think it will only be a brief interlude before more descends - apparently 'we' will not now be bothering with 'a day out' but will satisfy our interest in travel and exploration by a visit to Tesco for the 'papers.  At the moment the albino pigeon and the semi-albino one it seems to have taken a fancy to (judging by the activity I witnessed on a neighbour's roof a few days back) are cheerfully foraging for spilt birdfood in the front garden accompanied by a couple of blackbirds on a similar mission.

Back to RMweb and seekinga solution for the presence and removal of notifications which - v be warned - also fill up to overflowing your mailbox.

Have a good day one with a special thought for those suffering or recovering.

• Like 17