The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. This lunchtime I went into Tesco's to do a 'big' shop as I had just received my vouchers. I'd gone through the till when I went to get my vouchers I pulled out a bundle of exhibition flyers instead! :angry: :banghead: All was not lost however as the lady at the enquiry desk informed me that I only had to bring the vouchers in with the receipt to get the (double) points added on. An added bonus was I got a 5p per litre off voucher for petrol.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 11
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And bon voyage to Chrisf.  I'm sure you will enjoy your adventure and hopefully will take to Australia which does tend to be something of a marmite land to many poms, you'll either love it (as I did) or be far from impressed and I hope it will be the former for you although it will be hot at this time of year.

He's getting here just a few weeks before we suffer the general election AND the NSW state election, so the voter bribing is in full swing. There's promised new hospitals, schools, national parks announced every 10 minutes or so. With billions for this promised here, then million and millions promised for that shortly after, he'll think we're the richest  country in the world!

And the mid to high 40's degree days seem to have petered out now so it is more pleasant.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Eric has blown away, not without making me very wet earlier when I had to walk some way to get a bus as the one that stops at the end of the road didn't turn up. It wasn't raining when I left the house.... I had to go to 'Spoons to warm up; not many ales on there either, three apart from the house regulars.

Sorry to read about Torri, RIP.

Bon Voyage to Chris for his trip to Oz, NZ and points east.

The other day Mrs mole's DVD player died, today Martyn plugged in a spare one we had, origin forgotten. That didn't work either. As I'd bought the DVD of Venom I had to retrieve the player from my bedroom, which I hadn't used for a long time (the player....). Apparently it's working. She and Martyn are arguing, they usually do when watching a movie.

Currently eBaying model soldier kits, so I'd better get on.

Pete

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl, 

For some reason Sunday's sailing posting keeps coming up in the reply box even though I've cleared it several times, typed and posted several times since... 

It's  windy out there,  and down at the MRC you can hear corrugated iron banging around on nearby industrial units.  Our main wind forecast is for 65mph at about 06:00 tomorrow. 

One club member was missing as he had to 999 for himself during the week and spent a couple of days in hospital.  He's out now,  and another club member who lives nearby will offer assistance  tomorrow.. 

I spent a lot of the evening doing my grandfathers job,  but at 1/148...he was a ganger... 

I'm hoping to achieve more sleep tonight than the previous two put together..  That's if Eric doesn't wake me... 

Time to finish my choccy... 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, TheQ said:

For some reason Sunday's sailing posting keeps coming up in the reply box even though I've cleared it several times, typed and posted several times since... 

Have you tried clearing the cache/cookies of your browser? No guarantee it'll help, but it's worth a shot.

So sorry to hear the loss of Torri, Andy... it's never an easy thing to lose a family pet - you have my condolences.

Nothing to report here (aside from the wet and windy weather which has thankfully now subsided!).
Tomorrow will be spent on continuing to clear my grandparents farmhouse, and also trying to get some idea of what we should do with their estate... no mean feat!

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Friendly/supportive 12

After 31 years I am selling my house, went live on Wednesday this week, 10 viewings booked in for tomorrow afternoon ! 

I hope at least one might be interested ( especially in something railway related which could swing it ? ) .

Night all sleep well.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Whilst at the Trafford Centre this morning, I bumped into an old work colleague, who worked for a different section of the company, but who I regularly worked with on a few special jobs that required inter-departmental co-operation, but who I’d not seen for some time. As we chatted for a few minutes it became apparent that he didn’t know I’d retired. Any way we caught up a bit and he informed me he is also due to retire at the end of May. Apart from that today was just like any other Friday, with the exception that after dinner we sat down and had a read for a while, before we both inspected our eyelids.

Like yesterday, the weather started off wet but it cleared up mid morning and after dinner the sun came out. So far we’ve not had an awful lot of wind, but we are due some strong winds overnight. 

After tea we settled down with a nice bottle of Malbec and caught up on some recorded TV.

Andy. Sorry to read about Torri.

Goodnight all 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, 

It's blowing a hoolie out there,  Ben is not impressed. 

Sorry to hear about AndyID's two unhappy events I hope there isn't  a third. 

Finally a solid 6 hours sleep,  I'm about to roll over and try for more if Eric will let me. 

Bye for now... 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a much quieter Charente.  Erik visited last night and things were a bit draughty.  However no damage and there are even patches of blue sky visible.  Two cupboard doors refitted  and 5 new cupboard and door handles fitted yesterday.  The kitchen is looking so different.  Hopefully I'll be able to post some before and after pictures soon.   2 more doors to refit this morning and the last cupboard hinge to paint.  I've even got ahead of Beth, who is painting the doors.   A few other jobs to do and some wood to pick up from a neighbour who is clearing his daughters house, as it's being sold.   I'm also going to inspect a ride on mower/tractor with a view to purchase.  

Chris, I hope that the trip goes well and meets your expectations.  We won't have time to ride the Ghan when we are there so I look forward to a full report. .

Andy ID, sorry to hear about Torri and your admittance to the GDB appreciation society.   Thoughts as usual with Mal and Gabe and John and Sandy and not to forget Debs.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Commiserations to Andy and a fond au revoir to Chris. Flying isn't that bad Chris - I did it for a living for nearly 40 years and am still here to tell the tale! And to see places like Singapore and Australia makes it well worth while. I'll be spending my morning on a tour of some of our nation's great car parks, namely the M6,  M42, M40 and M25 on my way to sunny Surrey. With luck I'll be in Leatherhead by 1 o'clock to meet up with an ex-RAF pal for lunch then to my son's house. Tomorrow my 6 year old granddaughter Leila is in some sort of song and dance extravaganza and we then return home on Monday. Must remember to stop off at a Halfords to pick up some etch primer during the oddesey.

Have a good day Webbers.

Thoughts and a prayer for those suffering. 

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Tie po
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

The storm distributed a few garden chairs around the patio but otherwise no damage while we were away. 

AndyID. Aditi fell and broke her arm while walking Robbie a couple of years ago.  She made a complete recovery.  The follow up procedures also checked to see if she had any signs of osteoporosis. There were none. 

I don’t suppose I will be doing much today. 

Tony

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Breezy here, and rained a lot in the night. 

First off, condolences and commiserations to Andy it's never easy to lose an animal but the pain does pass, and you are left with the happy memories - I know, as it's a been there, done that several times scenario for me,

Bon voyage ChrisF - hope Oz is all the you hope for.

Generic greetings to everybody else.

Today 30747 and her cronies have a trip to Kendal planned, and I will probably go into Lancaster to have a quick mooch of the charity shops.

Probably back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Morning all

Off to ballet shortly, and once back then a start may well be made on the bedroom. One of the wagon kits that arrived yesterday has already been built and partially painted.

There will be a short break this afternoon, as I have to pop up the club to hand over some paperwork to the new mug/secretary.

Hope everyone's day goes well, and particular condolences to Andy.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

I will be staying in 11 different hotels and overnighting not only on three planes [I think] but also the Ghan, one of the great railway journeys of the world

Jeez that sounds like an over-involved process. To think a mere 200 years ago if you wanted to get here you just had to steal a hankie or poach some rich blokes peasants or whatever  they're called.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Andy, so sorry to hear about Torri and also your "Ouch" moment. I'm told broken wrists are very painful. It may surprise you all to learn that I've not suffered many breakages, only a toe and a couple metacarpals in either hand.  All self inflicted really, the former when overbalancing whilst standing on my head  :fool: and the latter after bouts of fisticuffs. :blackeye:  These all happened when I was considerably younger. These days I only seem to bruise or bleed. :banghead:

Still quite breezy here but the sun has made an appearance so Surrey may well be sunny when Dave gets to Leatherhead.

I'm trying to lose weight so just to help me The Boss decided to make some ginger biscuits yesterday. They didn't help of course but were very tasty!

Didn't get around to applying electricity to small wheeled thingys yesterday so may try again today. However my first task is to pick up a prescription and also some bread.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15