The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Before the RMWeb closure I had all the forums I watched daily in My Content.  Now I can only find ER easily and non of the others. Clicking on Activity and Activity Stream doesn't seem to bring them up.  Is there an easier way?

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Hope you get sorted Rick

Night awl 

Rick. Aditi’s family all seem to have what is called “late onset asthma”. Aditi  said hers was a 40th birthday present. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

10 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Why do we need the "edited" bit anyway?

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

So that you know that the content differs from what you received in the notification email, or previously read here. It might only be a corrected typo, but on the other hand it could be a whole fresh paragraph of new or updated information. Or an important item of fact could have been corrected.

Unless I am correcting a typographical error, I am inclined to use it - though if you make two edits there is only space for one comment, particularly if someone has already 'reacted' to the post before the edit.

Generally when I add something new, I prefix it with "EDIT" anyway. To whit:

EDIT:

Am spending my afternoon watching a PGA tour golf tournament before the hyperbolic football event this afternoon. It is uncharacteristically raining in the desert* causing havoc. During a deluge, the four shot leader (Fowler) had his ball hydroplane on the eleventh green and run off into a water hazard.  By some freak of gravity and hydrodynamics his carefully placed replacement ball then decided all by itself to roll away and take a dip - resulting in a triple bogey seven. He's now tied and his co-leader has found the water on the 17th, resulting in a one shot lead.

My son and daughter in law will join me soon for the afternoon's televised spectacle on the gridiron. Thanksgiving is the number one holiday in the US for food purchases. Superbowl Sunday is the second. I did my part and am looking forward to my guests.

There's a patch of blue sky overhead. I wonder if it will snow tonight? I remain skeptical.

* i was in Phoenix a week ago for my late colleague's funeral. The weather forecasters there were all a flutter over the prospect of weekend rain. It materialized. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Shared my afternnong
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, lightengine said:

Before the RMWeb closure I had all the forums I watched daily in My Content.  Now I can only find ER easily and non of the others. Clicking on Activity and Activity Stream doesn't seem to bring them up.  Is there an easier way?

Hi,

Click  My Activity Streams, and then choose Content I Follow:

rmweb_follow.png.6de68c839556b3050b4a199c786cf72f.png

p.s. While the new forum is still re-indexing, some of your topics may be missing from the list. It could take several days.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to get on here for the last couple of days now. A lot has changed and I’m having great difficulty in finding the threads that I used to follow. I’m not even going to try and back read all that’s been posted since last Monday evening. 

I hope everyone is well and all I can do is pass on generic greetings to all. 

Goodnight. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, lightengine said:

Hit the 'Browse' button in the top left hand corner (immediately below where it says 'RMweb'). and that will reveal all of the forum for you to chose, by clicking on it, whatever section you want to go to and then a subject/thread within a section.  If your tastes are relatively catholic you then have everything at your finger tip/mouse click so don't miss something which might crop up of interest which you might if you are only following a very limited set of threads.  For instance I was having a wander around earlier today and came across a couple of interesting areas i'd not bothered with before or for a long time back.

if your time is limited then it could obviously make sense to set it up so that you are only going to look at things which are of particular interest - horse for courses and all that.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

This has just come to me. As most of us are aware Mal is very seriously ill but despite this he posted on the Jock cancer ward thread just before the shutdown. Some RMweb members have had difficulty getting back into RMweb since the changeover and perhaps Mal is one of them? Has anyone got other means of contacting Mal either through e-mail or social media?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

1 hour ago, andyram said:

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

A lot has changed and I’m having great difficulty in finding the threads that I used to follow. 

1 hour ago, andyram said:

Thoughts on the new look RMWeb remain on hold until everything has settled down. I appreciate that things can take some time. At the moment there are a number of frustrations:

* I no longer seem to be able to view all of the topics I have posted in because the my content section does not seem to be working.

* When I find a topic, such as ER's, I cannot instantly go to "last unread".

I hope that these two issues get sorted otherwise the update seems to be a backward step. 

Best wishes

Andy

With you there Brian and Andy.  Most frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This has just come to me. As most of us are aware Mal is very seriously ill but despite this he posted on the Jock cancer ward thread just before the shutdown. Some RMweb members have had difficulty getting back into RMweb since the changeover and perhaps Mal is one of them? Has anyone got other means of contacting Mal either through e-mail or social media?

He visited on Friday last at 19.18

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 minutes ago, AndyID said:

This is at the top of one of the chair-lifts at Aspen/Snowmass, elevation 11,325 feet. Many of the surrounding peaks are a lot higher but that was high enough for me.

Ah, the famous "Colorado Fourteeners".

Some of the highway passes in Colorado are over 11,000 feet.

One of my cousins, who lives in Toronto, is a professional photographer. Quite a few years ago, Honda did a series of TV adverts on the theme of "Great Drives of the World", combining Honda vehicles with spectacular roads. Tony got to scout possible locations on the San Juan Skyway in Colorado, which goes over 4 passes at between 10,000 and 11,000 feet. He was given a car with driver for the trip. At the top of one pass, Tony got out of the car to take photographs and said to the driver "I'll just walk up to there and take a few more", pointing to another slightly higher spot a couple of hundred yards up the road. When he'd finished, the driver drove up to pick him up. Once Tony got back into the car and got his breath back, he told the driver "Don't let me do that ever again!".

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

Morning All,

It is a fairly chilly morning in this part of the world.  The temperature is down to around -3°C and there is quite a heavy frost.  No snow though!

Time for a coffee...

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 13

Good morning one and all, with a very warm welcome back to Jam.  It’s been too long.

Yesterday’s trip to London left something to be desired.  I secured the concert ticket that I wanted and made sure that there is sufficient on my Oyster card to get me to and from Heathrow.  Less satisfactory was my trip to London’s Transport Museum and I came away with neither the book that I sought nor a new mousemat.  The music meeting turned out to be frustrating and I left early.

Today sees my last counselling session, at least for the time being.  The counsellor and I will review what has been achieved but subject to that I feel that there is more to be done.  We shall see.  It is barely adequate to thank Mal Purley Oaks for nudging me in the direction of counselling.  After that I need to collect some Singapore currency for the first leg of my trip of a lifetime.  Some refinement of the packing is needed and despite the reassurance of the bathroom scales I am far from confident of making the weight limit.

On a much less lofty plane I need to buy some custard powder.  Such things are easily overlooked.

The warmest of thoughts to Mal, Sandy and John and all on the sick list

Chris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

4 hours ago, pH said:

Once Tony got back into the car and got his breath back, he told the driver "Don't let me do that ever again!".

I quite like this "quote selection" feature.

Altitude is very debilitating. I need lots of hydration even in the Denver area or I can get headaches.  I once attended a meeting at Breckenridge. If I recall correctly the village is above 9,000'. Even the short uphill stroll from the village to the hotel left me gasping.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2