The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The  one the neighbour has bought has a few usb 3.0 ports so no problem for the data transfer he desires. The other ports on his device are compatible with usb c connectors which are even available in Tesco or Argos. Not sure what yours are though. My fairly recent iPad uses the lightning connector which is Apple specific (though available from many other sources). It is quite good in one sense that it doesn’t have an asymmetric socket like mini usb.

Tony  

Yes Tony - it's the lightning connector I was thinking of - my Mac has two ports for that and four USB ports

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 1/29/2019 at 8:46 AM, Tony_S said:

I suppose I should think about losing some weight.

Do what I had to do................get your teeth out and get dentures, I lost 10% of my body weight in 4 weeks and have still not stabilised (with in a year). Only kidding of course but 40 years of smoking ( I haven't for the last 17 years) destroyed my mouth to my eternal regret. Now I just cannot enjoy eating with these great lumps of plastic intruding into my mouth, I tend to exist on liquids these days.

Mike

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, ikks said:

Do what I had to do................get your teeth out and get dentures, I lost 10% of my body weight in 4 weeks and have still not stabilised (with in a year). Only kidding of course but 40 years of smoking ( I haven't for the last 17 years) destroyed my mouth to my eternal regret. Now I just cannot enjoy eating with these great lumps of plastic intruding into my mouth, I tend to exist on liquids these days.

Mike

The year before last I lost 7kg in a fortnight. Though not a diet I would recommend as it required double pneumonia. I soon returned to my “normal” weight. 

• Friendly/supportive 10

It's nice to see you all back. I was not able to visit RMweb for several days and then after that it was closed.

Logging on was a chore. My saved login did not work. Ultimately I was locked out and I had to reset my password.

Why software companies feel the need to change reasonably functional user interfaces and tinker with every new version is beyond my ken. (I have have some insider experience with software companies.) Performance-related changes under the bonnet are a different matter entirely. These are essential for an application like this one.

It will take me some time to adjust to things. Today may not be the right time to judge but page loading, going from one page to the next in a thread seems much slower. The site might be very busy right now.

Perhaps the new layouts are designed to be more easily interoperable across mobile devices like 'phones and tablets. I'm noticing some changes to the editing capabilities as well (like forced paragraph spacing with no apparently mechanism to control it).

In any case, it's nice to be back.

EDIT: Tried to post - got denied, and automatically logged out in the process. The software did save my post though.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Hello all from Estuary-Land. Great to be back, yesterday I took a look out of the window at 6 am. There was a light covering of snow but quite clear so I went back to bed. I arose at  7:30 and looked out and there was thick fog that had fallen in the last hour and a half. The fog didn't lift completely until the early afternoon. Now to catch up on the other threads, be back later.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

Since we last met I have owned a new jacket and taken it back because it was defective, condemned a pair of trainers and bought a replacement...……..

By,  you have been busy Chris but wouldn't it have been better to buy two, one for each foot?

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3
  • Funny 7

Evening all, also struggling with the new look forum! 

Now, you might think me a little stupid, but just why is this thread called "Early Risers"?  It clearly existed way-back-when, as referenced in the first post, but doesn't seem restricted to the wee hours?  Yours, Ray. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's nice to see you all back. I was not able to visit RMweb for several days and then after that it was closed.

Logging on was a chore. My saved login did not work. Ultimately I was locked out and I had to reset my password.

Why software companies feel the need to change reasonably functional user interfaces and tinker with every new version is beyond my ken. (I have have some insider experience with software companies.) Performance-related changes under the bonnet are a different matter entirely. These are essential for an application like this one.

It will take me some time to adjust to things. Today may not be the right time to judge but page loading, going from one page to the next in a thread seems much slower. The site might be very busy right now.

Perhaps the new layouts are designed to be more easily interoperable across mobile devices like 'phones and tablets. I'm noticing some changes to the editing capabilities as well (like forced paragraph spacing with no apparently mechanism to control it).

In any case, it's nice to be back.

EDIT: Tried to post - got denied, and automatically logged out in the process. The software did save my post though.

Yes I am struggling with the new format and cant seem to get to view those threads the way I used to but I will give it time to see if I can get used to it, just finding it very clunky but that might just be till our leader refines the forum a bit more. Attaching photos on the mobile version does seem way better than before though.

Been a busy few days whilst it was off line and today I have been to Amberley to meet up with a group of modellers who were there to measure up for their modules for the July event then off ot have brunch near Ashington. Unfortunately I wont be able ot help them as will be at the NMRA convention in Salt Lake City.

More Bulleid pacifics have been serviced including one that required the geared driving axle replaced as the gear had split- its working well now so now moved on to the final 20 or so that still need checking.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

Evening all, also struggling with the new look forum! 

Now, you might think me a little stupid, but just why is this thread called "Early Risers"?  It clearly existed way-back-when, as referenced in the first post, but doesn't seem restricted to the wee hours?  Yours, Ray. 

Back in the day on  the first version of RMweb, a group of people who were up early in the UK started corresponding and Gordon S (Eastwood Town layout) who in those days often found himself in airport terminals at the crack of dawn started the thread. Many have joined and gone for various reasons. Sometimes there are references to things that happened a long time ago. Nowadays I think it is “Early “ for someone  somewhere.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the new format looks great on my iPad and Android phone. I will go and have a look on a PC just to see what others are or are not seeing. 

I am surprised  that people want to know where their reputation score had gone. I didn’t know I had one!

I used to do a lot of server upgrades and preserving the data and user ids was something the network managers were supposed to do. Hardly ever happened. 

However at least Andy didn’t have to be rescued by Masonic Lodge members after being locked in a school building where I and (what turned out to be a claustrophobic) technician had been updating a three server network one Friday afternoon. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Drivel, drivel and more drivel and occasionally we may dribble :jester:

HTH

Bob.

PS And welcome Ray to this particular very friendly little corner of the RMweb universe. 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

If any Early Risers are going to the Stafford Exhibition then could they take wine bottle corks and give to ChrisF.  Unless you are GDB, you could drill a hole and put string through the hole.

Just remembered that GDB is going to Alton.  Perhaps someone could take a roll of bubblewrap.

I was in the Diocesan Office today, doing the paperwork for tomorrow's conference.  I'm the first aider, then setting off to the Royal Festival Hall for Bruckner 7.  But feeling like death warmed up and am dosed up on Panadol.

Bill

Edited by bbishop
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Yo All 

Ray it's what you make it every one can get involved just butt in when you fancy it.

3" of snow in the last 2-3 hours here and still falling heavily, I just hope I can get off the estate at 9:30 tomorrow for the Alton Show.

Bill GDB needs more than a roll of bubble wrap best tie him to the nearest girder so he don't fall over.

Laters S.Nowman AKA Whitey :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening Bill. have you got any spare plasters and splints? i'm running low. 

Forget to mention rugby earlier and the 6 Nations in particular.Wales take on France in Paris tonight and if they win they I think they will be a force to be reckoned with.

England are in Dublin tomorrow and in the unlikely event they win that one then they too stand a chance however they have to travel to Cardiff later in the month. Now that could be a very  interesting game.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whats happened but I seem to have re-posted an earlier post*. Thats despite trying things out on a couple of other forums  that use the same 'forum provider' if thats the correct term. Both had already changed to the same format as RMweb and in one case an almost identical minor problem with signing in. *I've found the 'hide' button (which wasn't hidden.)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

My other question  for regular posters is - what, if anything, is the general theme of "Early Risers"?  

Mostly to have very little sympathy with GDBs bloodletting exploits...............

:D

Cheers,

Mick

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening to most!

Lummy it is getting cold here..but nowhere near as cold as where Ian Abel is. Glad to see Pete post.

I now have another cricket scorer raining course to tutor tomorrow in Wakefield. hope it isn't too cold.

England seem to be playing under the influence of some form of locally provided stuff..either that or we can finally see how a supposed wicket keeper/batsman (Buttler) can't catch to save his life. Pah!

We have received tickets for a trip away.. I will let you know where we are on our way back..but that isn't until the next few weeks.

GDB I fear that England Rugby may just take a bashing over the next few weeks...hope they prove me wrong!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Barry O said:

GDB I fear that England Rugby may just take a bashing over the next few weeks...hope they prove me wrong!

Yes Baz. I think you may well be right but I was trying to be just a little more optimistic than usual in my earlier post. 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It looks as if we have found a garage door installation company who actually seem interested. The cheaper ones just keep losing quotes or need constantly reminding. The salesperson didn’t call on us as she measured up the neighbour’s garage  and said ours would be the same price. If we accept they come back and measure accurately. Neighbour said the door mechanism was much better than the one he had already.  

Tony

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Welcome to the madhouse Ray. Most of the time we just chat about anything and everything but when someone has a problem we try to help and support where we can 

Cheers.  Well, in that spirit: I have a dog with an ear infection and a tropical fish with swim bladder infection - I'm thankful it's not the other way around!

Will be casting an eye on the rugby in my local tomorrow - as a casual observer... :-)

• Like 10