The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Looks as if it's working from France,   Bon apres midi everyone.   It doesn't want to insert an existing attachment for me.  It must be being run by Debs as it was related to Model railways.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all! Nice to be back.

During the down ime I managed a partial clearance  of the carp on the desk, completed three non-modelling repair jobs and made progress on another. These are repairs to jewellery, ornaments etc that require modelling skills or tools. More carp needs to be relocated/binned however. The lack of a chair doesn't help, nor does the knee/foot space being pile high with items for sale. Scanning of old traction engine photos has resumed. For test purposes, here's a shot from the GDSF

GD93 HEAVY HAULAGE 1_1917 Fowler General Purpose Engine 8 NHP No 14925 Windrush & McLaren Road Locomotive, 1652 Boadicea of 1919, WF 1864.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Looks as if it's working from France,   Bon apres midi everyone.   It doesn't want to insert an existing attachment for me.  It must be being run by Debs as it was related to Model railways.

Jamie

Try again. Andy has just added jpeg as a file type. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morn afternoon all,

Glad to see that normal service has (almost) been resumed. Raining steadily here at the moment and the little bit of snow we had has almost disappeared.

Phase 1 of our garden makeover has been completed as on Tuesday the tree surgeons phoned to say they could fit us in. Within a couple of hours with chain saws and a stump grinder they accomplished what would have taken me days if not weeks to do. Well worth the expense. It may afford you all some merriment to hear that whilst I was watching them I slipped off a step and smashed my knee so normal service has definitely resumed at GDB Towers.

Hoping to see some of you tomorrow at Alton.

Have a good one,
Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

AfterNoon All, Inner Temple hare.

some good nights sleep,

some back ache.

A very good night out at a curry house at the companies expense, very funny seeing the waiters tryiing to diswade the "American boss" from having the hottest thing on the menu... the Boss is actually mexican..

Still can't go on a diet, we now have a breafast in a hotel next tuesday at the companies expence...

Yesterday double the normal time to get in to work, Had to stop the landrover 5 times to scrape the freezing fog from the outside of the windows...

Two cars went rallying on the two different roundabouts I went round yesterday.

Very easy drive in today..

This software seems familar, one Norfolk Broads forum and one sailing forum uses it or something excedingly similar..

MRC tonight, I should be bringing home one section of the layout as the club needs the space..

Time to... eat my bananna

image.png.f94d9d6b1b576f69d9ef740b48aab1b4.png

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morn afternoon all,

Glad to see that normal service has (almost) been resumed. Raining steadily here at the moment and the little bit of snow we had has almost disappeared.

Phase 1 of our garden makeover has been completed as on Tuesday the tree surgeons phoned to say they could fit us in. Within a couple of hours with chain saws and a stump grinder they accomplished what would have taken me days if not a week to do. Well worth the expense. It may afford you all some merriment to hear that whilst I was watching them I slipped off a step and smashed my knee so normal service has definitely resumed at GDB Towers.

Hoping to see some of you tomorrow at Alton.

Have a good one,
Bob.

Roads are ok hereabouts.  

See you tomorrow morning.  

On the way home avoid the A31 between Coxbridge roundabout and Shepherd and Flock roundabout - roadworks and with the Saturday traffic.... 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

A man is arriving soon to measure up for a new garage door. I shall try not to injure myself watching. I too am capable of such things. The Apple Mac support wasn’t necessary today, it hasn’t arrived yet and will only be file transfer stuff. Just need to check that the latest Macs still have standard sized USB ports. Surely Apple wouldn’t ... 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all 

Poor old GDB we have been chatting off line the knee incident was met with shrikes of laughter by this household.

Andy thank for the tip on the road works in Farnham it was my intention to go that way I will revert to going via Odiham 

I'm not happy using that road in bad weather going down the hill by RAF Odiham sideways is not my idea of fun.

See you at Alton tomorrow. 

:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Time to reply properly.  Good afternoon from a somewhat damp but brightening corner of the Charente.   3 days without RMWeb, All sorts has happened, I've actually had to talk to SWMBO, things must have been bad.   I'm apparently on the naughty step for signing into the forum yesterday, in my defence it was working, sort of as a) it accepted my details and kept me signed in and b) I got a reply to a PM from The Q.

We've had plenty of rain and some strong winds.   Not the fault of the local diet but some lass called Gabrielle out at sea apparently.   However we got warnings about it and survived apart from the Satellite Dish needing some re-adjustment the next day.   We lost the 2nd part of Silent Witness so haven't bothered watching part 1.  It must have been my fault as I was watching a report from the lunatic asylum aka Westminster.     The bottle crate also got moved and the empties were spread over the garden.  (Note to self, we will have to make sure that there are more bottle in there t weigh it down).

Yesterday we set off in the rain to go to the tip and empty the trailer, then off to the barrel factory to buy two Stears of offcuts (60 Euros).  It's oak and well seasoned.  Here's the trailer, which was a bit heavy to tow home.

P1313945.JPG.46b0aefc0e3b34156eeae29dc67ce2b8.JPG

There, that's a test, it uploaded this time.   I then had to unload it and stack it in the owl shed.    We reckon our consumption will be about 5 stears this winter, which is a lot less than we were paying for gas.   Also with the log burner going 24/7 we hardly use any electric heating and also the dryer in the shed is redundant for the time being.

A trip to the Dr's this morning with Beth, just routine, and now it's time to head for the shed.

No news from Mal that I've seen yet.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Oh thank crunchie.....

News form here is that they have entered planning to build on reclaimed land on Ramsey beach - yes the beach - houses, some commercial properties and a 400 berth marina.  Between the iron  pier and the harbour breakwater, and as far out as the end of the iron pier almost.  It is also a conservation zone.  Words fail me. We need the investment, but here?  On the prom?  It would be fine the other side of the breakwaters, but....#sigh#

small.jpg

small 2.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
Additional picture
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Ah, back finally!

Mixed feelings about the new layout, time will tell, but I certainly think the "size" of the topics list entries is too large, takes a long time to scroll through what are just "titles" in reality.

Speaking of reality, missed posting the rather "unusual" temperatures we've been experiencing. Was a bit cold (UNDERSTATEMENT!!) the past couple of days, around -32C getting the paper Wednesday and Thursday and didn't warm up more than a couple of degrees both days.:o:jester:
Wind chills were on the STUPID side, reaching around -50 even here in the city/suburbs.

Given the weather, there's been little activity to report, very glad to be working form home as I didn't have to go out and face the elements.

Right now -17 and overcast, expected to be -9 for the high, BUT, +4 over the weekend. Means we'll see a +36 degree change in less than 3 days!

POETS is upon us, and I'll take it given the chance.

Tally ho...

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

CanNot believe the snow has gone already from down ere!

Anyone like to buy 50 litres of milk and 30 loaves of white sliced?

Just going out for milk, chuck it over!  Nice and sunny here, had no snow but it's 2c in the sunny parts, and bl**dy freezing in the shade!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 81C said:

Afternoon all 

Poor old GDB we have been chatting off line the knee incident was met with shrikes of laughter by this household.

Andy thank for the tip on the road works in Farnham it was my intention to go that way I will revert to going via Odiham 

I'm not happy using that road in bad weather going down the hill by RAF Odiham sideways is not my idea of fun.

See you at Alton tomorrow. 

:biggrin_mini2:

You could always check the traffic status on google maps on your phone when you come to leave the show. Make your mind up thereafter. Seeya tomorrow.  

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

A man is arriving soon to measure up for a new garage door. I shall try not to injure myself watching. I too am capable of such things. The Apple Mac support wasn’t necessary today, it hasn’t arrived yet and will only be file transfer stuff. Just need to check that the latest Macs still have standard sized USB ports. Surely Apple wouldn’t ... 

You wanna bet?  Fortunately mine, bought last year does have some 'standard' USB 2 ports but it also have a new invention from Apple which requires a converter to be plugged into it to turn it into a USB port.  Oh, and h guess what - you can buy such converters from Apple shops and that's about the sole source - or was the last time I looked.    BTW it won't have a dvd drive either.   You have been warned.

Sorry to return with such a helpful (perhaps not) reply to your question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

You wanna bet?  Fortunately mine, bought last year does have some 'standard' USB 2 ports but it also have a new invention from Apple which requires a converter to be plugged into it to turn it into a USB port.  Oh, and h guess what - you can buy such converters from Apple shops and that's about the sole source - or was the last time I looked.    BTW it won't have a dvd drive either.   You have been warned.

Sorry to return with such a helpful (perhaps not) reply to your question.

The  one the neighbour has bought has a few usb 3.0 ports so no problem for the data transfer he desires. The other ports on his device are compatible with usb c connectors which are even available in Tesco or Argos. Not sure what yours are though. My fairly recent iPad uses the lightning connector which is Apple specific (though available from many other sources). It is quite good in one sense that it doesn’t have an asymmetric socket like mini usb.

Tony  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy days are here again.

We had quite a good covering of snow - about 4-5 inches of the stuff with it nicely plastered down one side of some things such as trees as telegraph poles due to the strong wind after midnight.  although it has been melting we still have plenty and we've been having a bit more in a rather desultory pattern but we can actually now just about see road surface between snow and ice out in the road.  His ladship has duly been working from home and has commandeered the dining room table as his office space, apparently he reckons he's getting more done at home than he could in the office; I could have told him that.  Plenty of fascinating animal tracks in the snow in the garden - one lot definitely down to Mr fox and some to the birds but I wonder if we also had a muntjac passing through?

We were well stocked up with provisions from faux Friday (novelty day - we went to a completely different branch of Waitrose) and got some extra milk in just in case the milkman didn't arrive - he didn't ('due to unforeseen circumstances' according to the email we received this morning apologising for non-delivery).  If our road clears a bit by tomorrow well hopefully get out, and to Alton, I wonder if Kernow will make it out of Cornwall?

This new software still makes typos, I'll complain!!

And a sunnier day on another place and time -

2080127094_FarewelltoSteam.jpg.228145fd0329137d3b208b3ac01f874b.jpg

• Like 13