The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Andrew, this might sound stressful but I can perhaps offer some insights and reassure you.

Muggins happened to mention to his GP that he fancied losing a couple of stone. 

"What's your plan?" says she.

"I haven't got one". That didn't last long. 

And so that's how I ended up on the BSD 800 calories a day. She did offer a 5:2 diet, but obviously pitched it in a way where the challenge to go for broke was firmly laid down.

This was followed by my drinking buddies doubling down and saying we were all doing Dry January.  

My joy knew no bounds. 

I started on 1st January, so will have done 4 weeks tomorrow.

By day two I was feeling fine and although the calorie intake was sparse to say the least, my energy level were a lot higher. No lethargy and felt great. I put that down to low carbs. 

Waist line has dropped a few inches. 

And after 27 days I've lost about 1 stone. 

Got about 12-14lbs to go over the next 4 weeks and then onto the 5:2.

Couple of tricks and tip.

Eat slowly and pause to let your tummy know it is starting to fill up. Wolf it down and you'll be hungry at the end of the meal. 

Drink plenty of water - at first you do get headaches. 

Set yourself a completely unrealistic target for weight loss. The bigger the goal the greater the motivation. Seems to work. 

Weigh yourself a couple of times a day - forget weighing in once a week. 

Write the results down - its good to see where you started and the progress. 

Each lb of fat you lose has 3500 calories. Your recommended daily intake is around 2500 calories. So, by dipping down to 800 calories you can expect to lose about 0.5lbs per day. This does tend to slow down, so after a couple of weeks throw in some exercise. 

Hope this helps. You'll be fine. 

Andy

Thanks Andy. 

Day 1 and so far so good. Not my first rodeo but surely the most restrictive I've been on. 

Bit of a catch 22. I need to exercise more to lose weight, but I need to lose weight before I can get my knee fixed so that I can exercise. 

Good morning one and all

I didn’t get to see Casualty on Saturday night.  The reason is that transmission time coincided with the first available table at the Beefeater adjoining the Southampton North Premier Inn where I was staying.  I enjoyed haddock and chips followed by sloe gin trifle, washed down with a pint of Thatchers Gold cider which won hands down over the only real ale available, Doom Bar.  A bonus was that bubble and squeak was on the breakfast menu!  The Small Cardiff show was well worth the journey but the leg from Cardiff to Southampton majored on the A36, which is not the finest road in the realm.

Chris

OK, so Casualty became the casualty of the evening.

Cardiff to Southampton - had you considered M4 - A34 - M3? Having used the A36 many years ago, I won't be doing so again in a hurry! However, did you see the rail tank transporter loading bays?

That's a cracking photo in the heart of my home county Simon.  I remember climbing Skiddaw at the age of 3.   I was told that I was on my father's shoulder at least part of the way but certainly walked a good bit of it.  We did Helvellyn the following summer.  My aunt lived in Keswick so we went there a lot.   It would be returning from the Skiddaw holiday that we had to take a different railway route and I fell asleep as we went over Stainmore summit.

Jamie

I first went up Skiddaw on a day such as today. IIRC it was Boxing Day about 15 years ago. I would dearly have loved to travel the line over Stainmore, as it must have had views to match any line in England.

The weather has now deteriorated and it was chucking it down as I left the Model Rail Club an hour ago. Hopefully it will be clearer tomorrow, as I have an appointment with Sister Drac in advance of my next lymphoma maintenance treatment on Thursday.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Took my Frankenfoot to hospital today for its latest and for now final review, after 2 years - weight bearing x rays, twist it until it hurts etc.  It is stable in terms of the repaired broken bones but slowly deteriorating, with my old friend Arthur Itis making his presence known in the bits that still move as the cartilage is all lost in the joints that are left working. The recommendation is to bear it as long as I can then go for a total fusion (more screws and a plate or two), but this brings a new set of problems to the toes and ankle apparently, not sure it would be much better of an option from what they say.  The thought of yet more surgery isn't appealing at this time, it isn't very nice.

They were very good at the orthopaedic clinic, but the message is basically 'it's totally knackered mate, you just have to cope with where you are'.  Together with having had to hand in my driver's card at Groudle due to inability to walk on ballast without serious pain, has fair made the start of 2109 rather crepe.  Still, could be worse, looking around me on here.  Worse things happen at sea....they did!

Weight loss - ah yes.....if only! Well I have lost a few pounds this month, 6 or 7, but another stone or two would be a good thing I suppose, given the above. I drink very little now (1 or 2 bottles of beer a week) so I will just have to eat less! Running about the place obviously isn't an option, I try to walk every lunchtime, manage about a mile.

Just an off the wall thought Neil, have you ever tried wearing a pair of clogs.   I used to wear them when I worked on the Ratty as they were impervious to the cinders, oil etc on the shed floor, and I could walk on the ballast with no problem at all.   Once I got used to them they were very comfortable.  My first pair came from a little clog maker in Whitehaven and the treads were cut from old car tyres.

Catch you all on the flip flop.

Jamie

• Like 12

Andrew, this might sound stressful but I can perhaps offer some insights and reassure you.

Muggins happened to mention to his GP that he fancied losing a couple of stone. 

"What's your plan?" says she.

"I haven't got one". That didn't last long. 

And so that's how I ended up on the BSD 800 calories a day. She did offer a 5:2 diet, but obviously pitched it in a way where the challenge to go for broke was firmly laid down.

This was followed by my drinking buddies doubling down and saying we were all doing Dry January.  

My joy knew no bounds. 

I started on 1st January, so will have done 4 weeks tomorrow.

By day two I was feeling fine and although the calorie intake was sparse to say the least, my energy level were a lot higher. No lethargy and felt great. I put that down to low carbs. 

Waist line has dropped a few inches. 

And after 27 days I've lost about 1 stone. 

Got about 12-14lbs to go over the next 4 weeks and then onto the 5:2.

Couple of tricks and tip.

Eat slowly and pause to let your tummy know it is starting to fill up. Wolf it down and you'll be hungry at the end of the meal. 

Drink plenty of water - at first you do get headaches. 

Set yourself a completely unrealistic target for weight loss. The bigger the goal the greater the motivation. Seems to work. 

Weigh yourself a couple of times a day - forget weighing in once a week. 

Write the results down - its good to see where you started and the progress. 

Each lb of fat you lose has 3500 calories. Your recommended daily intake is around 2500 calories. So, by dipping down to 800 calories you can expect to lose about 0.5lbs per day. This does tend to slow down, so after a couple of weeks throw in some exercise. 

Hope this helps. You'll be fine. 

Andy

Some advice on the 5:2 diet. There are a number of books with differing diets, but the best one is by Michelle Harvie and Tony Howell. In addition all the profits from sales go to the Genesis Breast Cancer Prevention Centre. Other books, such as by Michael Mosley are not as well researched, and are for personal profit. Here is a link to the Harvie/Howell book:

https://www.thetwodaydiet.co.uk/

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. 

Day 1 and so far so good. Not my first rodeo but surely the most restrictive I've been on. 

Bit of a catch 22. I need to exercise more to lose weight, but I need to lose weight before I can get my knee fixed so that I can exercise. 

Absolutely. But give the calorie restriction a couple of weeks to get going - you'll lose a few lbs, and any cardio exercise won't be quite a painful / damaging. Consult your GP if in doubt on when to start exercise. Up and down the stairs a few times extra each day is a good start. 

• RMweb Gold

Ah, weight loss - well I suspect over the Christmas/New Year/colder weather (ok so not very cold) period it will have got back some of what I lost so I shall set to on the restrictions which worked last time round.  

Alcohol in January to date - I x G&T to celebrate the addition of a numeral (adding I so moving to LXXI) and two halves of Thacthers today.  Next scheduled alcohol intake is 11 March but we might have a pub lunch with a friend before then so that will be another half of cider.

Reduce intake of potatoes - down to one small one instead of two smallish ones at any meal with spuds but oven chips (in moderation) are ok according to the leaflet from Sister Diabolical. 

The biggy is to try to reduce bread consumption and pasta consumption.

Ban chocolate - not that I eat much of that anyway but no choc biscuits I think in future.

Ban cheese - ok as the stuff bought in for Christmas is all gone. 

Go walkies or use the exercism bike to get rid of some of the flab - in this weather???

Lay more bricks (when the weather improves.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The sun has shone all day, I was right about needing to put the heater on in the workshop this morning. I turned it off when I went in for dinner and I didn’t bother putting it back when I went back after dinner, as the sun was shining in through the window and warmed things up a bit. More progress has been made on the L class, mainly soldering details to the boiler and replacing the cast cab doors and handrails with scratch built ones from brass.

Back later in the week.

Goodnight all

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Dining flooring done. Looking really good.

Some stuff gone to recycling and other stuff ready for the charity shop.

Painting of walls due to start soon.

And I have managed a bit of muddling.

Thoughts with all endeavouring to lose weight.  It is crazy, but I have managed it.  Now I am trying to get used to the new look me.

A few tips: Keep going, keep working at it, and make sure you get all the healthy nutrients to keep you in good health and your strength up.

' Night all and nos da.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

We've been inside since noon. Weather chilled off and snow started in. Temperature is up to -8C, but the prediction contains 15cm of snow (that's 37.5 feet in OO). I.m supposed to be stationmaster at Windermere tomorrow; maybe they'll run the Christmas Day service.

I just discovered that my collection includes a Dec. 1937 copy of Model Railroader. It has an interesting table of modelling scales. There's a note that HO's 16.5 mm gauge is not 5/8" -- nearer 21/32". OO is given as 19.0mm "almost exactly 3/4". " Bottom of the line is E gauge (1/8" scale) and it lists 1 and 2 gauge. 3 variations on O: 1/4" and 17/64" on 1 1/4" track and 1/4" on 1 3/16" track (designated Q).

I'll see you again in some multiple of 24 hours.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from what is supposedly a cold day out there and snow forecast but nothing like as cold as it is in Winnepeg according to the BBC weather last night, -40 deg C. Makes Ian A's weather look quite warm.

Need to load the 009 layout shortly to take to Mums after dropping my other half at the station as can make use of her conservatory whihc is heated. Giving my three Heljan L & B locos another good test so that should keep me busy part of the time rmweb will be off line and if its still off tomorrow I will be busy helping a friend wire his new Swiss layout.

• Like 6

Morning All,

We have a rather chilly morning in this part of the world.  The temperature is down around freezing, and there is quite a bit of ice about.  Thankfully, the roads weren't too bad.

I see we are scheduled for an update this morning.  See you all on the other side!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 6

Good morning one and all

Yesterday’s counselling session explored my impulsiveness among other things.  Next week’s will be the last in the present series.   I hope that the sessions will resume once I return from down under.  Earlier I had to change the flight bag that I bought recently because only now has the travel company told me that it was too big.  I still need to go shopping for a hat and for insect repellent.  In addition I could do with a slightly less manky jacket – easier desired than found, I suspect.

Stewart, you have a point about that Blowzabella CD.  I have blown hot and cold over that band for years and 30 years ago did not pursue new releases with the zeal of today.  Catching up will cost me a fortune! As it is, there are plenty of new releases in the pipeline.  The new Jim Causley CD came on Saturday and the new one by Elliott Morris is on its way.  I am particularly keen to have that because I helped to fund it.

John, I did consider M4 – A34 – M3 but prefer not to go round two sides of a triangle.  It struck me that it was a lot further and thanks to the anti-benevolence of Volkswagen Finance, which restricts me to 10,000 miles a year or 200 a week, I cannot afford to go further than I need.

Yesterday there was laundry and today there will be ironing.  This is essential to ensure that the clothes in the suitcase will be just crumpled enough.  Later in the week, when we may or may not be here, sees a dental check-up on Wednesday, a visit to Poorly Pal on Thursday for which he has requested pan-fried salmon, a concert with Jim Moray on Thursday night,  collecting my new glasss on Friday, meeting my cousin 88C at Stafford on Saturday and attending a meeting of the RGM Appreciation Society on Sunday, that being the anniversary of the sad day in 1967 when Joe Meek took his own life.  

The warmest of thoughts to Mal, Sandy and John and all on the sick list

Chris

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning  - see you when the site comes back up - or at Alton on Saturday.

As for weight loss - you could lose a couple of pounds by the time the server maintenance is complete. 

Andy

• Like 5