The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic view of the red moon from the far south east corner at 5:20am this morning. Not a cloud in the sky which meant there was a very heavy frost when I finally got up.

Sun is still shining and still not a cloud in the sky but the frost has disappeared where its been caught by the sun. Just had to chase off a couple of young foxes sunbathing, first ones I've sighted this year.

Just waiting for garage door guy to arrive to replace a hinge that popped-off the roller door last week followed by a guy from the local council coming to give a quote for the removal of all the overhanging parts of next-door's trees along the perimeter fence.

Keith

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The big issue is that its well over 100 feet away from nearest access and then nowhere for a pump and mixer without blocking someones access. We have no side access of our own.

If the no side access means what I think it does, eg no path round either side of the house, there is another solution that I have seen in use at out previous next door neighbours. The builders needs a lot of readymix at the back of the house for an extension and also much rubble needed to come the other way. They hired a sort of skip barrow on tracks that was able to carry about half a cubic yard and would go through the house doors. Heavy duty polythene was put down along with some temporary ramps front and back and Robert was your uncle.

I hope that you get it sorted.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The answer is Velcro...……...

Velcro is OK if you get it right first otherwise the trouble with velcro is that it makes a lot of noise in a quiet place.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

:girldevil: Her decreed that I attend to the silicone around the bath it's where she is heavy hand when cleaning it I spent 30 minutes in the garage looking for the white stuff purchased

last year to no avail it's no good using anything more than a year old or any old cheap shite then she said how about the draft by the back door so I looked for the clear one

I found some 3 years old stuff as it is being used as a draft excluder it will be OK to use as it's stone cold it needs warming up to house temperature to get the stuff out of the tube

and spread neatly so a job for tomorrow the chore now is to get warm again as I came back in shivering and my knees hurt with the cold it normally snows when that happens.

Railway beckons in the mancave, with the heater on full blast.

enjoy your day E.S.Keymo. :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

T'is foggy outside, has been all day light hours.

First new system completed, second one in the lab ready for tomorrow morning.

Cough getting worse,  looking forward to Hot toddy when I get home..

SWMBO should have just left for an appointment at the quacks,

So I might get a second toddy in before she returns :no: .

Time to wander down the building and find the boss to let him know as he'll have to create a new correction file..

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I did wake early this morning. I couldn’t see a moon of any kind. Last night the route the satnav chose back from Mersea Island was being gritted, the car thermometer was indicating -1 or 0 C during the journey. Rural Essex is really dark and although the roads were not particularly narrow they were bendy, the reflective chevrons seem to be non reflective and there was mist. At one point there was what looked like some sort of emergency roadwork with bollards and signs, no lights though. The road wasn’t wide enough to get past it with oncoming traffic, so I stopped and intended to wait until the oncoming traffic had passed except the oncoming vehicle just stopped alongside the roadwork and me and tried to signal me on through insufficient space. It didn’t help that the van driver behind started flashing lights and hooting. Our friend we were giving a lift to did comment that some people shouldn’t be out after dark. I will have to clean the car as the grit lorries were active last night.

The walk on the beach yesterday was lovely, we were accompanied by our friend’s elderly dogs and a bouncy labradoodle she was looking after. The dog although bouncy and active outside was perfectly calm indoors.

• RMweb Premium

Just watching antiques roadshow, Kinneil house, Borrowstouness most interesting, especially, the James watt piece, and the drone view of the Bo'ness and kinneil railway.

Why interesting, we take Ben the border collie there for his walks when walking from my parents house.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Mega busy at work today, lots of trains on their way to happy new owners.

34C, my wife has that tendon issue too, recently had some injections of steroids into bits of hand and finger that have helped some, but not all fingers.  I'd run a mile, she has a high pain threshold!

Morning

Awake in time to see the blood moon but nowehre to really set up a tripod to take photos as it could just been seen over the rooftops in our road from our bedroom. I doubt my other half would have been happy with me setting up the camera whilst she was asleep.

Heavy frost - phone says its 0 degrees and Alexa says its -3 degrees. It certainly feels like the later even with gloves on.

Yesterday I had another good bonfire to clear almost all of the remaining branches piled at the back of the garden. However a set back with the plans for the new shed base. The woman who manages the flats next door came round to say they had just had a tennants meeting and were told there is a septic tank in the middle of their parking area so we can use it for access for ready mix concrete. That surprises me and think they have that wrong otherwise they would be having the tank emptied regularly and I havent seen any such vehicles so I reckon its either a soakaway or nothing at all. However I cant argue with them as its not our property, so will have to come up with another plan now.

Back indoors I have been testing a lot of N sclae rolling stock that hasnt been used in a few years. A few split gears etc but the pile of stuff to sell (items working fine) is growing.

Tell them you'll just have to use these folks then

http://www.helirig.com/capabilities/helicopter-lifting/

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Ian, most properties around here are terraced with no rear access. Last year a neighbour had some concrete laid in the rear of his property. They simply laid down protective sheets and pumped it through the house, as described by Jamie but without the 'railway'. Mind you that was in the dry summer weather (its too cold to lay cement at the moment anyway). My house is an end terrace with half of one side of the back garden only separated from the street by a wall and gate. I am thinking of having a base laid for a new shed, were exactly its going to go is the question, the old one is too far from the house to run any cables etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It’s been a dull and cold day here all day, but not long after I came in this afternoon it started raining and it’s been chuckinitdarn ever since.

Another day spent in the workshop and some good progress has been made on the old L class loco. I managed to make a support bracket for the valve gear, then made a start assembling the valve gear. I made the decision that I would solder all the joints instead of riveting them, so far I’ve successfully made 10 of the 12 joints and each one is working as it should be, so hopefully I’ll get the last 2 made later in the week, it’ll probably not be until Thursday though, as I’ve other things to do until then.

Goodnight all

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A couple of hours after my last post, I went to check on the moon again and couldn't see any sign of it. It's possible that it rose enough to be obscured by the roof overhang. I wasn't going outside in my jammies to check.

During our morning coffee downtown, a GO train went by. Unusual as the last one is around 7:30 and the was after 9:30. TV news reported it was an hour late. It looked very empty and seemed to be going too fast to stop in the station.

• Like 15

Good morning one and all

Yesterday, at the request of my counsellor, Sarah, I sang “Be The Man” to her.  I do hope that her consulting room is soundproof.  Fortunately I did have some warning of this and took the precaution of bringing the words with me as I have not finished learning it!  Talk about an intimate gig.  I also went shopping for clothing suitable for hot countries but still need an appropriate hat.  The suitcase is fuller than it was but I cannot complete the packing because the necessary laundry has not been completed, still less the ironing.

It’s time I renewed my railcard.  Doing it closer to the expiry date will be difficult given my location at the time.  A few weeks ago I explored the Railcard webshite, more out of idle curiosity than anything else.  It noticed and has sent me some supposedly helpful e-mails to encourage me to visit it again.  It was not clever enough to realise that I cannot renew the card earlier than 30 days before expiry.  My exploration of the new phone continues with the calendar function.  As with the contacts, it is depressingly easy to erase what has already been entered.  Jamie, thanks for the offer of help.  I may take you up on it.

Continuing warm thoughts to John and Sandy and to Rick, Mike Stationmaster and all others in distress or missing

Chris

• Like 17

Morning All,

It is very chilly this morning.  It was -10°C in the forest.  Still, the temperature is not surprising because it is so clear at the moment.  Of course, that also meant that the Eclipse was visible yesterday morning.  Mercedes was able to take some quite good photos - with a lot less effort than the last eclipse back in the summer which meant taking a tripod out onto the flat roof of the house.  Yesterday morning was just a case of pointing the camera out of the roof window.

This one is quite impressive, not least because she captured a few stars as well.

50592011_2050604248366289_14318689531933

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 19