The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Alas I was 'caught out' by a fellow RMweb member (not of this particular quarter) who had turned up at the show on spec as a result of a family trip out for other reasons and was duly looking round the layouts and was horrified to find me involved in operating an LNER layout, my credentials must be in tatters and no doubt another thread will have an exclusive disclosure of my misdemeanour in a manner which makes 'The Daily Mail's'  look like reasonably worded  journalism. 

Well at least they have green locos even if the wrong shade :sungum:

As for managing not to travel on class 700s, you lucky s*d but I dont envy your future travels in the Crossrail units.

Morning all

A good nights sleep  but still up early.

So far this morning I have boxed up a CSX loco that had been worked on and is now back on the correct shelf in the library, An L & B flat car now has its numbers added but just requires the tare decals. 'TAW' now has the coupling and cow catcher black touched up, the Dapol N scale bublecar has the red buffer shanks touched up and nopw ready for final weathering and scanner is currently scaning negatives from the WInchfield deisel gala day back in 1988. Most improtantly made my other half a cup of tea.

Work on the bases for the two existing shed to continue today as long as it doesnt rain.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

It's 74 years since there was a Ge. I do appreciate your point but conflating food advisories that are intended to keep people out of harm with an organization like the Gestapo is over the top, not to mention insensitive to others in ER. I may be a "Yank" now, but my uncle Bobby was killed while serving in the RAF during WW2. We should not forget what happened but we should never trivialize it.

I do apologise for any offence the use of this word may cause; I did use a small g, however, in the hope of suggesting something stronger than, for example, police (again, small p!)

Trivialisation was never the intention.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from over here. The log burner is keeping the house nice and warm. However I didn't get any log clearance done yesterday. Her Indoors decided it was time to re-start the painting of the cupboard doors in the kitchen. This was after I'd got my outdoor work clothing on. I am needed to do things like un bolt hinges and remove existing handles and trim. I also suggested that it would be better to drill the doors for the new handles before they were painted. As there are 24 items to drill I decided to make a jig. This the first door took about half an hour to do. Subsequent ones can be done in a couple of minutes. Anyway, to cut a long story short I spent most of the morning sorting out such things and no logging got done. I even managed to drill the three permanently fixed drawer fronts that are in front of the sink and the hob and have to be done in situ.

At lunchtime the post brought two new railway mags so that took care of the afternoon. We played a couple of rubbers of Canasta in the evening whilst quality checking some Scottish Medicine on my part and Gin on Beth's part.

This morning it has been decreed that we are off to the market for a wander round and a coffee. This afternoon we have been invited to a friends for a "Gallette". I think that's the spelling. It's a sort of afternoon tea but with such things as fruit tart instead of sandwiches. Apart from tha the day is mine.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Again, sorry that I have been AWOL - every time I nearly got caught up, something got in the way, and I didn't get to post.

All posts have been read and rated, and the usual generic greetings are on offer to the ailing and the celebrating,

Various tasks domestic are on the agenda this morning - og frabjoy.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Very overcast but mild here. A cloudy windy day forecast with the chance of the odd shower and possibly some bright spells.

Didn't get around to setting up O gauge boards as a visitor (son Steve) interrupted proceedings and stayed for a couple of hours for a natter and then it was time for rugby. Only two of the seven matches on offer watched. I'll probably watch another two today.

I also spent some time online looking at garden buildings because I think the loft conversion idea may be rather too expensive for a railway room. A lot more research needs doing before we make a  decision.

Tea has been taken up to Her Bossness who, if she runs true to form, will shortly be down and offering to cook breakfast.  :yes: .............and just has!   :imsohappy:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Our summerhouse (big shed) was an end of season ex display model but the very discounted price included dismantling and installation. No electricity or insulation included though.

Dull here.

Aditi is off to Enfield to see her Mum. I am staying at home.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s raining here again. The shed I bought a couple of years ago was an ex display model. I went to the show, knowing that they had a 10% off offer when ordered and paid for at a garden show and I was quite happy to pay that. But when they had the model, size, colour (they all come ready painted) with an upgraded roof I wanted and they were offering it at 30% off including delivery and installation, it didn’t take me long to make my mind up!

No2 muggertea almost finished, I’m off to the workshop, back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

An early start to the day when the phone went at 06:15 - the emergency care line and mum was apparently reporting to them that she was lying on the floor.

15 minutes later as I attended the scene this was definitely the case.

All sorted now, but I suspect it will be more frequent from now on. 

Mum: What day is it?  

Me: Sunday.  

Mum: Were you already up? 

Me: Yes, of course!  :no:

Another cuppacoffee and I'll be outside putting adjustable legs on the new layout's fiddle-yard baseboard.  :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning, woke up at 7 and decided to have an extra half hours sleep that turned into two and a half hours. Not a lot of time lost though as I took a shower instead of my usual long soak in the bath. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John but if I do get one somebody else will be doing all the work as it will need a good concrete base and I'm looking at possibly a 16' x 8'  building fully lined, insulated and electrified.

Extreme measures to prevent theft?

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

O ye of little faith. That would seem to include most all of you. As far as electrical works are concerned I can do simple tasks but anything requiring major works will be entrusted to the professionals and in this case most certainly will be. As far as the building works are concerned believe it or not I would be capable of doing it were it not for my ongoing knee, hip and back problems along with the time it would take me. I suspect at the current rate of progress on other tasks if I did the building it would be ready just in time for me to lie in state before my  funeral!  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Done it again up very early 5am then sit and watch TV catch up for an hour then go back to bed, I fell out at 11:30 this will have to stop as it makes me feel like carp.

Today if it still is today I will again be cutting bits of polystyrene up and gluing them together to build this dodgy look hill railway, progress is slow bonding the bits together

is taking time I think Wickes No More Nail would be better than PVA.

The other project is approximately 100 figures of various poses in need of paint, another job is to go through a box of old GWR Airfix & Mainline loco's I've decided just to

bin them after sorting out any useful spares PM me if you are look for anything, you'll just pay for the P+P 

Must get on Harry.H.Corbett

Edited by 81C

Then one from Switzerland, Engadine I believe.

attachicon.gifTatt SW-A-22.jpg

Jamie

Celerina on the route from St Moritz to Samedan, indeed in the Engadine (i.e. the valley of the In river which passes through Innsbruck!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 9

Judging by the state of some of the tins the 'safety' I had in mind was mine, i.e. not being plastered with the contents of the tins if the rusty bits blew while handling them or chucking them in the bin :O

Now, a blown (expanded or misshapen) tin would lead me to bin it too! I'm even sceptical about dented tins.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And good afternoon all,

A better night's sleep that I have had for a few too many recent nights but I had to be up at 09.30 as his lordship required the Good Doctor's car moved out of the path of his exit for doing whatever he will doing today at the GCR.  So while rearranging cars I duly popped down to Tesco for the 'papers and nothing else, yes - no shopping required (so I bought some pickled onions to cheer up my ongoing cold).  Then today sudoku. a lunchtime bowl of homemade vegetable soup and watching a silly western on tv preceded my visit here.  little else to report, my nexty main task will be to get in the Good Doctor's car to ensure the laddomobile is first off tomorrow - life can get complicated at times.

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone and hoping those visiting St Evenage today had an interesting and enjoyable time.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Found the recycling box at Tesco's but no mention of LED bulbs and no one I spoke to could give any advice. When I came out the sky looked dark and threatening but still no sign of rain yet.

• Like 10

Afternoon all

Glad to hear the good news, Brian!

As Mum is in hosp awaiting her op I took the opportunity to check the use by dates in her food cupboard.
Some were back to 2013, some 2014 and most were 2017 or 18.attachicon.gifIMG_20190112_114956.jpg

If the product is either tinned, vacuum sealed, in a tetrapak or victim of a preservation process, i.e. corned beef, cheese, pickling, etc, where's the issue?

Most of the products you show are dried or include preservatives in their mix. They're probably going to involve some cooking or boiling before consumption; this will kill anything harmful that MAY be therein.

We periodically trawl through my mum's cupboards - she doesn't really like it most of the time, but it's good to get rid of stuff that's 5 or 10 years' old. Even the stuff with Best Before dates can taste stale after a while. Last week her carer found a small tin of Heinz Baked Beans a couple of years out of date; it wasn't dented, but the contents were mingin', so it was chucked away. Common sense is the main thing, as you say, but the dates do give us an indication of whether to take a little extra care, especially with older people whose immune systems may not be as good as ours.

Looking forward to Ski Sunday for the first time in almost a year!

Have a good Sunday evening

Mal

• Like 14