The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Stilton may keep for years in a mountainside cave but it don't in my fridge John.

Whilst packets of dried foods/cake mixes may seem ok after their dates I am unsure whether they perform properly.

As to tinned stuff, my parents found some tinned meats under the floor of their first house. When opened years later it certainly wasn't edible.

I kept a tin of baked beans (the spelling changed from beans to beanz in 2008. 3 years ago I threw it out because the tin had opened part way down.

Dried fruit deteriorates.

I'm curious as to how your stilton doesn't 'keep'. It is by nature mouldy and is best drunk with a spoon! Its outer crust is just that, a crust and is also edible. FYI, most French keep their cheeses on the dresser and not in the fridge, similar to the way we used to keep bread or fruit.

Regarding 'blown' tins, no I will also give them a miss.

Dried fruit does deteriorate if it's not sealed in a vacuum or nitrogen-purged container.

As I said originally, look at the contents of the package and use your common sense (if such still exists); if it don't look right, or if there's something moving then to the bin with it!

• Like 7

I'm curious as to how your stilton doesn't 'keep'. It is by nature mouldy and is best drunk with a spoon! Its outer crust is just that, a crust and is also edible. FYI, most French keep their cheeses on the dresser and not in the fridge, similar to the way we used to keep bread or fruit.

Does it not depend on whether it's "a Stilton" (complete with rind) or "a bit of Stilton" (sliced)? The rind is the protective element for the body of the cheese.

• Like 2

Does it not depend on whether it's "a Stilton" (complete with rind) or "a bit of Stilton" (sliced)? The rind is the protective element for the body of the cheese.

The rind of a stilton is just the dried crust of the cheese, same as the skin on custard or the crust on a loaf of bread. Why do these have to be discarded?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2

Regarding 'blown' tins, no I will also give them a miss.

Dried fruit does deteriorate if it's not sealed in a vacuum or nitrogen-purged container.

As I said originally, look at the contents of the package and use your common sense (if such still exists); if it don't look right, or if there's something moving then to the bin with it!

I'm not a Stilton expert but on occasions when we have owned it too long it has felt slightly slimy and if I dont like the texture I really don't mind consigning it to a bin. Cheddar on the other hand I just cut the mouldy bits off and eat.
  • Like 7

The rind of a stilton is just the dried crust of the cheese, same as the skin on custard or the crust on a loaf of bread. Why do these have to be discarded?

I don't waste the skin on Kiwis (the fruit, that is, not the humans) its just roughage.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

My oh my these model railway exhibitions can be tiring.  Although a suitable height chair was provided it was far easier for various items of communication and viewing to stand so that was 4 hours of it less a 30 minute meal break (although I was actually in the roster to cover the meal breaks of the others it was nice to get one as well).  Alas I was 'caught out' by a fellow RMweb member (not of this particular quarter) who had turned up at the show on spec as a result of a family trip out for other reasons and was duly looking round the layouts and was horrified to find me involved in operating an LNER layout, my credentials must be in tatters and no doubt another thread will have an exclusive disclosure of my misdemeanour in a manner which makes 'The Daily Mail's'  look like reasonably worded  journalism.  Anyway it was a great day and always a pleasure to operate on Grantham, including quite a time alongside our own Baz - most enjoyable as he's great colleague to work a railway with (but everyone else on the layout is great to operate with as well obviously).  The last must be true as I'm invited back to future events!!

Train journeys to & from were not bad and all ran punctually or better - no Class 700s were involved as it was Class 387s both ways on the GNML, Class 80Xs on the GWR (running on electrickery for once); a good show from what I briefly managed to see of the rest of it, a chance to hand in my copyright form for St Simon's forthcoming signalling book (and a chance to correct a caption error in the proof thereof).  Duly home by 18.50, slightly footsore.

On another subject when we cleared the larder after my mother died in 2003 the oldest thing we found was some home made wine from 1956 (it didn't taste too bad at all, funny how well matured dandelion wine has a similar taste and effect to a good malt whisky :O ) and loads of stuff which pre-dated 'Eat By/Use By' labelling although nothing exploded when we chucked it in the bin, black bagged in anticipation for safety reasons. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I decided to Google the disposal of LED bulbs. Apparently they can be recycled, they contain very tiny amounts of rare and valuable elements that make it worthwhile. The problem is at the moment theres not many places that will accept them for recycling as due to their long life there simply isn't many around to be recycled. One of the places that will accept them is Ikea, not a place I frequent and I will have to find out if they have a store local enough.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I decided to Google the disposal of LED bulbs. Apparently they can be recycled, they contain very tiny amounts of rare and valuable elements that make it worthwhile. The problem is at the moment theres not many places that will accept them for recycling as due to their long life there simply isn't many around to be recycled. One of the places that will accept them is Ikea, not a place I frequent and I will have to find out if they have a store local enough.

Tesco in Pitsea has a recycling point for all kinds of things. Batteries, water filters and energy saving light bulbs. Not sure if they include led bulbs though. It is inside about half way along on the wall after you pass through the tills, or it was when I last went. We don’t go to Tesco as often as we used to.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
I find the green bits left on the strawberry on fruit tarts to be irritating. However Aditi if making a fruit salad leaves a couple of strawberries with leaves on the top “to make it look interesting”. I am not convinced. Whenever Aditi went up to London for meetings she always seemed to be near a Patisserie Valeriie and bring me a cake.
  • Like 15

I find the green bits left on the strawberry on fruit tarts to be irritating. However Aditi if making a fruit salad leaves a couple of strawberries with leaves on the top “to make it look interesting”. I am not convinced. Whenever Aditi went up to London for meetings she always seemed to be near a Patisserie Valeriie and bring me a cake.

Lucky she never bought you a tart.

I'll get my coat.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

I had some rather good news this morning which I thought I’d share with you all. When I came in from the workshop for dinner, we’d had some post, so I decided to open it before we ate. The best bit was the letter from The Christie Hospital informing me that I am to be officially discharged. I will have one last appointment with my oncologist and then that’s it. I will still have to have 12 monthly PSA tests done but these can now be done at my GP’s surgery and so long as the readings stay under 10, that’s it, but if it goes above 10, then I’ll be referred back to The Christie.

This evening Mike and Sarah came round for tea and we had our usual Indian takeaway, which was their treat as a thank you for having a Look at the bathroom fan last weekend. We then rounded the evening off with a nice bottle of Malbec.

Goodnight all

• Like 10

Evening all,

On another subject when we cleared the larder after my mother died in 2003 the oldest thing we found was some home made wine from 1956 (it didn't taste too bad at all, funny how well matured dandelion wine has a similar taste and effect to a good malt whisky :O ) and loads of stuff which pre-dated 'Eat By/Use By' labelling although nothing exploded when we chucked it in the bin, black bagged in anticipation for safety reasons. 

Safety reasons?  How did we cope before the food ges patrol started imposing these dates?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1

I'm not a Stilton expert but on occasions when we have owned it too long it has felt slightly slimy and if I dont like the texture I really don't mind consigning it to a bin. Cheddar on the other hand I just cut the mouldy bits off and eat.

Common sense applied!

On cheddar, the white bits which form on the outside are calcium and add an extra crunch to the cheese!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When we cleared up my father's house we found some bottles from the drug store in the town we'd left almost 50 years before.

Recycling often depends mostly on whether someone will pay for/take away the materials. If you have a considerate town council they take everything and sort out the garbage and send it to the other side of the tip. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Here,

Just over 7hours sleep which was good, but I have awoken with a slight back ache.

From JCs blog, I too remember not having a fridge, when my parents moved into a council house, after the RAF, the pantry had a meat safe. However it wasn't that long before a fridge was bought, which arrived some time before we got a TV.

I'm lucky as working for an electronics producer, we have various bins around the factory for batteries, electronics, paper, cardboard, metal, plastics etc. So anything I need to dispose of can go that way.

That being said in North Norfolk we only have one recycling bin, they do all the sorting. We can if we wish request a garden waste bin for a fee.. £50per year.

Sunday is of course sailing day, having had several weeks of not a lot of wind, the forecast is for too much, gusting 45mph, if we have that, there won't be any sailing. Not only that tide change occurs during racing so that would have been good with light winds..

I think I'll now roll over, and ease my back. I have an hour, before I need to get breakfast..

Time too, roll over. .

• Like 15

Good morning one and all

The M1 was surprisingly compliant yesterday, which is more than can be said for one southbound driver who did not bother to turn on his/her lights.  Breakfast at Leicester Forest East was consumed in Harry Ramsden’s, complete with nice crispy fried bread.  I enjoyed my first visit to DEfine and hope to return in future years.  Today I’m at Stevenage show.  Later in the week I have my counselling session on Monday, Area Group in St Albans on Wednesday, a sight test on Thursday and Whittlesey Straw Bear on Saturday.  Around those events must be fitted preparations for my trip down under and any other stuff with which I get lumbered!

Warm thoughts to Sandy and John, whose chronicles give such an insight into the courage that both are displaying, to Brian for his good news and to all others in distress or missing.

Chris

• Like 18

Safety reasons?  How did we cope before the food gestapo started imposing these dates?

It's 74 years since there was a Gestapo. I do appreciate your point but conflating food advisories that are intended to keep people out of harm with an organization like the Gestapo is over the top, not to mention insensitive to others in ER. I may be a "Yank" now, but my uncle Bobby was killed while serving in the RAF during WW2. We should not forget what happened but we should never trivialize it.